Core 2 Quad Q8300 OC

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by masterboy, Oct 30, 2014.

1. masterboy

masterboy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
    I wanted to OC this CPU to only 3Ghz. But after setting 7x400 and PCI Express speed to 100. Just keep reseting after 2nd fail just started up normal. I assume maybe the memory clocks could be the issues.
    I have an Enermax TB40 cpu cooler so heat is not an issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3500#ov
    VGA: GTX560
    Memory:2x2GB DDR2 800mhz...
    I know this hardware are old,but im not in a position to get better atm.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Does the bios have options to lock your ram speed with a divider?Also did you bump up the vcore slightly to see if it's just needing more voltage for the bump in speed?

3. masterboy

masterboy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
    It doesnt post, i tried with like 7.5x 365 which is around 2.67 and still doesnt post added vram upper, maybe pci settings of 100 is wrong in this motherboards.

4. hussein19891

hussein19891 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 870m
    Have you considered raising the VCore?

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Take a look at the memory clocks after you upped the CPU clock in BIOS. Could be that mem speed is linked to CPU speed. If so, try to unlink it or lock it like Jbmcmillan suggested.

6. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    It will be your motherboard.

The G41 chip set was never very good at going past 333mhz bus speed. You could probably get 340mhz tops.

I'd suggest either getting a better p45 or x48 chip set motherboard or getting a cpu with a lower bus speed and higher multiplier such as the q6700 which theoretically could get up to around 3.4GHz on that motherboard.

I would strongly advise saving your money for something newer though. Socket 775 can still pull it's weight in modern games but only if you have the high end quad cores overclocked up to the 4GHz mark and to do that today is stupidly expensive considering the cost of more modern CPUs.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015