4690K idle voltage in manual mode?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by BUFDUP, Aug 7, 2014.

1. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Hey Guys

I have a mild OC my 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.2v

I know when the cpu is idles, it idles at 800mhz
    The voltage is still 1.2v

When its at stock and auto settings, the voltage goes down as well.
    but in manual mode its not.

On HWMonitor under Powers, under package, when idle... the cpu would consume 25watts when over clocked and manual settings staying at 1.2v

On stock clocks and on auto it consumes around 8-9watts and voltages drop down below i think 0.8-0.9

Is there anyway i can set it to idle something similar to the stock idle voltage?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Guys.

Intel i5 4690K
    Asus H97i-Plus
    8GB DDR3 Ram
    MSI GTX 760 Hawk

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    one of the power saving features in mobo bios will perhaps do this.
    i'm 1.4v 4.9ghz 24/7 :)

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    U have to enable speedstep and use offset voltage.

4. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

speedstep is enabled. As to use offset voltage, there are 4 things in the bios which can offset + and -

CPU CACHE
    CPY system agent voltage offset mode sign
    CPU analog I/O VOLTAGE offset mode sign
    CPU didgtal I/O voltage offset mode sign

kinda confused lol

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    In windows select balanced power plan and then it will idle cpuVID too.

Btw you can also try adaptive voltage control, just enter total turbo voltage 1.2v and that's it.

ie
    http://i.imgur.com/4ozd7aM.jpg

Leave Cache voltage at auto if you're not OC'ing it, same for vccsa (cpu sys agent), vAIO and vDIO, keep all at auto - they're for ram OC.

6. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Tj? there is no turbo voltage.
    i have balanced power plan.

its weird. i have my 3930k @ 4.6 and when it idles, it idles at 1200mhz @ 0.887v

i have some screen shots of my bios of the AI TWEAKER section.
    Can you have a look and let me know please?

EDIT: there was LLC somewhere i saw. it was on auto, can choose from level 1-9. don't know if that matters in this case

AI TWEAKER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AI TWEAKER\EXTERNAL DIGI + POWER CONTROL

[​IMG]

AI TWEAKER\INTERNAL CPU POWER MANAGEMENT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hey, it is :)

There where you have set Manual mode /voltage - open that tab again and select adaptive mode/voltage

now you should see it like so

[​IMG]

there where I set 1.228v, you set your voltage 1.20v, keep cpu offset at auto.

8. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

looks like the only options for cpu core voltage is, "auto" and "manual". There wasn't any adaptive.

Guess my board doesnt have these features since it is a H97 after all. if it was a Z97 then yea maybe it'll have it.

Thanks for the help dude :)
    really appreciate it.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hm didnt expect that.. What about offset?

How much does it overvolt if you keep at auto?

10. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

i think 1.25v on auto

max temp i get when stressing is 69c and thats at 1.2v (h100i)

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yeah a bit high, but this way it can go to idle lowV mode @ windows balanced power plan, instead of fixed cpuVID 1.20v.

Did you enable C-states too? at auto its usually disabled.
    Also Enable dynamic storage accelerator (main cpu settings menu) and let intel RST control it, balanced C3, high perf C0, power saver C7..

also disable that cpu VR fault management (last pic) and in main AI tweaker disable SVID and below VCCIN set ~1.73 - 1.75v. << all these tweaks should lower temp 3-5C for sure.

12. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

okay cool. i done everything except dynamic storage accelerator... cant find it lol.

at idle (800mhz) in HWMonitor it used to consume 25 watts. now with the settings u showed me it only uses 9 watts.

temps wise under load, it pretty much the same... maybe a little bit hotter. At load before the cpu would burn near 120 watts. With the settings you advised it pretty much halved it which is good.

4.4Ghz @ 1.2v is stable. 1.19v would BSOD on me. do u think i can lower it now with these new settings? or it'll still be the same?

Also 4.2Ghz is stable at 1.13v

These are the max recorded temps.
    I have the AC on 25c lol... its winter here and nearly 2am... cold

Core0: 68
    Core1: 71
    Core2: 73
    Core3: 68
    Package:73

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Dynamic storage should be there where you enable C-states, HT, etc..Unless its a Z chipset thing..

[​IMG]

btw once you disable SVID cpu wont monitor its power anymore.

Those temps look fine for that voltage, if it bsod by lower try higher cpu current instead of auto - DIGI+ section cpu current % set it to 110 or 120%, but this may heat more.

14. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I have just moved from a 990x AMD board and overclocking an FX which was easy I have had a few AMD systems.

My new asus hero Z97 bios is like a Maze I just don't no we're to start so many options

I have set CPU power to 1.3 and CPU at 4.5 max temp 58c but I have no idea what should be enabled or disabled when overclocking with an intel system I need a good guide for overclocking on ASUS Z97 system

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379171

Check my 1st post here, all settings are pretty much the same for Z97 too..

16. NickP97

NickP97 Guest

GPU:
    Msi Radeon HD 7950 3gb
    Please Help

Can someone help me please ?
    I have a problem with my cpu cores.I have a i7 875k with a intel dh55hc motherboard and a HD7950.The problem is that when i start my pc and boot in to windows 8.1 my pc gets a blue screen in that boot time.When i go in to the Bios and select only 2 cores to run, it boots in to windows.But when i have all cores enabled my pc gets a blue screen.I had this problem with an other motherboard the (ASUS P7P55D )and i when't and got a THE INTEL motherboard.It was working fine for about a year but one day when i was booting in to windows this happened agian on a the new motherboard. Can someone give me an explanation one why this is happening and can you give me a solution to fix this problem ? ***65279;B.t.w All clock's are stock.

17. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Hey barry. i see by ur sig ur at 4.4ghz @ 1.3v? Try lowering the volts. i'm sure u can go alot lower. I have mine at 4.4Ghz @ 1.2v rock stable