Nvidia Inspector introduction and Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Nov 5, 2015.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    This is true after re-testing. I will edit that to reflect it.

I don't really care to use MFAA at all unless it's combined with SSAA. The flickering, other temporal artifacts are enough for me to personally to not to want to use it at native res. With enough downsampling to mitigate it however that's fine.

There is also the framerate problem.
    In Lost Planet at sub 40FPS rather than turn into the smearing mess that FC3:BD and Grandia II Anniversary do, the temporal artifacts and flickering intensify.

I wouldn't enable it globally, nor recommend to do so. Feel free to do as you please though.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    which type of DXGI games? serious it didn't affect on my side.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Haven't noticed any flickering with MFAA. As for the framerate when you're using MFAA with MSAA 8x you're getting something akin to MSAA 16x and this does cost a bit of performance.

MFAA works in all DX10 and DX11 games with 2 or 3 exceptions.

4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    The debate of whether/how well MFAA works in specific DX10+ titles is a complicated one, and really belongs in the AA thread ;)

The quality of the result and any resulting issues highly depends on the quality of the ingame MSAA implementations, which are questionable at best in most newer titles.
    There is really no substitute for native 4K resolution combined with FXAA/SMAA or TXAA these days.

5. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    On what games do you get flickering, artifacts and smearing?

6. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I don't really use MFAA, since it doesn't work in SLI mode :)
    No big loss IMO.

7. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I would still caution against editing the global profile. It's not that much extra effort to change the application specific profile. Nvidia Inspector makes this easy and can even save your application specific settings as well for (clean) driver updates (which you should be doing).

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If you A/B it with MSAA, it most definitely does flicker at least in some games (Like Lost Planet).

The framerate is just a matter of performance sake. Most modern games are demanding. And modern MSAA is even more demanding. So if someone wants better quality MSAA at say 4k, but can only get avg 45FPS unstable with 2xMFAA. They could cap it at 30FPS to get stable performance with no stuttering on a 60hz display. But then MFAA messes that up.

With Lost Planet specifically, I throttled it back to 60,40 and then 30 to gauge problems. Even at 120FPS, there is still some flickering and artifacts that don't exist in the same manner as with 4xMSAA built natively into the game.
    Here are 3 I know of off the top of my head.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon . (I"m sure it extends to FC3)
    Grandia II Anniversary Edition (Locked to 30FPS outside of battle, in battles doesn't happen if 60FPS is enabled)
    Lost Planet Extreme Condition/Colonies.

As some else has mentioned, it is entirely dependent on the in game implementation. Which probably is also a factor.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Actually V-Sync is automatically forced in the global profile, when you reinstall the graphics drivers after connecting a new G-Sync monitor.
    However it is possible to disable V-Sync, and in the process also G-Sync, on a game per game basis by setting "Vertical Sync" to "Use the 3D application setting" in the specific driver profile.
    Ingame V-Sync settings should always be disabled when using a G-Sync monitor to prevent any conflicts.

Setting this to "Off" also has a negative effect in for example Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and can cause stuttering on some CPU intensive multiplayer maps like Valparaiso.
    At least it did on my old i7-940 + 2-way GTX 780 system.
    SLI AA essentially disables normal AFR rendering, and in 2-way mode will use the primary GPU for rendering+forced AA, while the secondary GPU is only used to do AA work.
    In SLI8x mode for example, each GPU would then do 4xMSAA after which the final result becomes 4xMSAA+4xMSAA=8xMSAA.
    This can be useful in games without proper SLI support, so at least the second GPU is not just idling.

However it unfortunately only works correctly in OpenGL, and there will be no difference in temporal behavior between for example normal forced 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA and SLI8x+8xSGSSAA in DX9.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/slizone_sliAA_howto1.html

10. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    You should leave threaded optimization to application controlled/Auto. I would especially avoid touching this in the global profile. The driver should know what's best the vast majority of the time.

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    That's not really the point, now is it?
    I was just mentioning an example of where disabling threaded optimization would have a negative effect.
    Never said anything about setting it in the global profile :3eyes:

There are many other cases, where setting threaded optimization to "Off" or "On" is better than just auto :)
    Sleeping Dogs: Best to set to "On" for smoother gameplay and better stability
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena: Best to set "Off" to avoid framerate drops and other issues

etc.

12. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Not in any game though, for example Division, it's a weird how engine renders game in FULSREEN because with in game V sync OFF Gsync doens't work (I see tearing and believe me I've tried any combination but dodn't test setting Gsync to be enabled for windowed mode though).

As generic rule yes, Vsync should be OFF ingame settings (except Division..:3eyes:)

13. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Indeed, I just wanted to make sure people didn't get the wrong idea.

14. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    Threaded Optimization is an odd beast for me. I mean, when reading the tooltip, common sense dictates something like this should be on constantly. I guess really, really old games or buggy games (e.g. DayZ) may not properly spread the load across all processors, but how is this a problem today?

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Actually DayZ runs on a modified version of the same basic engine as ArmA 2, another game which doesn't benefit from NVIDIA's threaded optimization setting.
    In fact in the earlier builds of ArmA 2, performance could be gained from setting this to "Off" in the A2 driver profile.
    Go figure :infinity:

I think the problem might be, that in this particular engine enabling driver threaded optimization takes CPU workload away from the game engine itself due to the poor multi-threading.

16. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    Honestly, whenever they release a new patch for DayZ, I just assume everything's borked. It's a mess right now.

17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Thank you for this I am downloading now....Feel outta place with my 780 among the 980 crowd here. Lol.

18. Orbmu2k

Orbmu2k Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Have Fun!

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks, Orbmu2k, your tool is invaluable.

What does this mean? No more new version notifications in profile inspector?

20. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thanks for the update.

However something went wrong with this update.

For some reason 1.9.7.4 is broken.

Weird font, right vertical scrollbar is missing. :(
    I had to rollback to 1.9.7.3

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016