Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 2000, XP or Vista giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Linux ?

Windows 7 restarting/shutting down and failing to start up again
Old
  (#1)
Adma192
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 470
Processor: Intel Core i5 760
Mainboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
Memory: 4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Angry Windows 7 restarting/shutting down and failing to start up again - 09-11-2010, 17:47 | posts: 797 | Location: Toronto, Canada.

I suppose this is a continuation of my other thread, 'Windows 7 and registry cleaners' since my problem persists - my computer will, seemingly at random, refuse to startup after I've shut it down or restarted it. 90% of the time I'll be unable to do anything (startup repair will fix nothing and tell me nothing) and my only option is to reinstall Windows completely.. I've done that 5 goddamn times this week alone and I am getting REALLY ****ing sick of it.

Setup repair has been able to fix whatever is causing the startup failure maybe twice (this isn't an impressive track record since it has to have failed me more than 30 times..) but that isn't a guarantee that it won't fail to startup again as that seems to be how it usually goes.

For example, last night I did a complete reinstall of Windows 7 (without any registry cleaners or programs that could otherwise cause my frustrations) and played some Bad Company 2 for a couple of hours.. I restarted the computer at least once or twice during this period with no problems.. turned it off around 3 and went to bed. Woke up this morning, turned it on, and bam - 'Windows has failed to start. A recent software or hardware change might have blah blah.' Startup repair managed to let me log on this time, but I just KNOW there's a very distinct possibility (almost certainty) that the next time I shut it down or restart it it will fail to start and my only option will be to do a clean reinstall.

I probably should mention the first time it happened as well, which was right after a registry defrag with TuneUp Utilities 2010.. when Windows was retsarting a popup showed up onscreen that said a .dll was missing from the Win32 folder.. forgot to take note of what the .dll was but I've never gotten that popup again.. I don't get any explanation, just a failure to start.

Any help? Beyond frustrated at this point.

Last edited by Adma192; 09-11-2010 at 17:51.

Old
  (#2)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Videocard: 22" LCD on GTX260 C216
Processor: Intel I7 860
Mainboard: MSI P55 GD80
Memory: G.SKILL DDR3-1600 4X2GB
Soundcard: It Varies...
PSU: Sigma
Default 09-11-2010, 18:22 | posts: 16,174 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Failing hardware perhaps?
If you did a clean install and still have the issue, then one would think the issue is NOT related to software.

Old
  (#3)
Kinfa
Master Guru

Videocard: XFX 6870 CF 945/1100
Processor: PII 955@ 4GHZ, NB@2600
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance1600
Soundcard: X-FI/Optical-DDL
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 09-11-2010, 18:23 | posts: 395

Test your memory with memtest at first. If you have errors set all overclock at default and test again. If errors apear again reseat memory sticks and take mobo battery out for few minutes, put it back and test. Or maybe hard drive is failing.

Old
  (#4)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 09-11-2010, 18:55 | posts: 24,260 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adma192 View Post
I suppose this is a continuation of my other thread, 'Windows 7 and registry cleaners' since my problem persists - my computer will, seemingly at random, refuse to startup after I've shut it down or restarted it. 90% of the time I'll be unable to do anything (startup repair will fix nothing and tell me nothing) and my only option is to reinstall Windows completely.. I've done that 5 goddamn times this week alone and I am getting REALLY ****ing sick of it.

Setup repair has been able to fix whatever is causing the startup failure maybe twice (this isn't an impressive track record since it has to have failed me more than 30 times..) but that isn't a guarantee that it won't fail to startup again as that seems to be how it usually goes.

For example, last night I did a complete reinstall of Windows 7 (without any registry cleaners or programs that could otherwise cause my frustrations) and played some Bad Company 2 for a couple of hours.. I restarted the computer at least once or twice during this period with no problems.. turned it off around 3 and went to bed. Woke up this morning, turned it on, and bam - 'Windows has failed to start. A recent software or hardware change might have blah blah.' Startup repair managed to let me log on this time, but I just KNOW there's a very distinct possibility (almost certainty) that the next time I shut it down or restart it it will fail to start and my only option will be to do a clean reinstall.

I probably should mention the first time it happened as well, which was right after a registry defrag with TuneUp Utilities 2010.. when Windows was retsarting a popup showed up onscreen that said a .dll was missing from the Win32 folder.. forgot to take note of what the .dll was but I've never gotten that popup again.. I don't get any explanation, just a failure to start.

Any help? Beyond frustrated at this point.
I haven't read your other thread, but the most likely scenario is you fubared your OS by running a registry cleaner through it.

If you want my advice - stay well away from registry cleaners/defraggers/optimizers/fukerupppers/fubarers.

CCleaner is OK, but w/ most others you're just asking for trouble...

You can try to repair it with sfc /scannow or chkdsk /r.

Last edited by Pill Monster; 09-11-2010 at 18:58.

Old
  (#5)
Black_ice_Spain
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7850 1gb @ 1120mhz
Processor: 2500K @ 4.4 / 1.28v
Mainboard: Z77P-D3
Memory: 8gb 1600 CL9
Soundcard: Xonar DG
PSU: AC Strike-X 600W
Default 09-11-2010, 19:12 | posts: 4,388 | Location: Spain

`probably HDD its dying.

do some HDD test.

Anyways it could have problems keeping information when there is no power source so those test could give a positive result but dying anyways

Old
  (#6)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Default 09-11-2010, 20:11 | posts: 16,174 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Well he mentioned he did a reinstall of the OS, so that basically removes any idea that it may actually be an issue with software. I am thinking either RAM or the HDD....or combination of the two. Start troubleshooting your hardware.

Old
  (#7)
Adma192
Master Guru

Default 09-12-2010, 05:55 | posts: 797 | Location: Toronto, Canada.

What kind of programs can I use or methods of testing can I employ to see if it's a hardware problem? I don't understand why it will run flawlessly for a while and then all of a sudden refuse to start back up after a reboot, though.. if it were a problem with my HD or RAM just being FUBAR wouldn't the computer just refuse to startup at all? Wouldn't I notice problems with performance? Doesn't ake sense that it runs fine and then picks and totally arbitrary time to take the piss.

But you guys know more than I do.

Old
  (#8)
Kinfa
Master Guru

Default 09-12-2010, 08:13 | posts: 395

Download memtest iso file, burn it on cd, boot from cd and test memory. Here is the link:

http://www.memtest.org/

Old
  (#9)
Adma192
Master Guru

Default 09-13-2010, 03:59 | posts: 797 | Location: Toronto, Canada.

Scheduled CHKDSK after restart, restarted my computer and went to pick up some chinese food.. came back to a shut down computer that wouldn't start - tried startup repair which, surprisingly, worked - everything was installed as before (which wasn't much since I'm now used to having to reinstall every other goddamn day) except for my nVidia drivers (although the folder was still in the start menu) and Firefox.

So is it a safe bet that the HD is the culprit?

Old
  (#10)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Default 09-13-2010, 04:05 | posts: 16,174 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Do you have another drive to use for now?

You need to isolate it to one component.

Old
  (#11)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Default 09-13-2010, 04:21 | posts: 24,260 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
Well he mentioned he did a reinstall of the OS, so that basically removes any idea that it may actually be an issue with software. I am thinking either RAM or the HDD....or combination of the two. Start troubleshooting your hardware.
Yeah I only read half his post..

I agree with Black Ice it could be a bad hard drive....

EDIT: ...OP are you getting BSOD?

Quote:
'Windows has failed to start. A recent software or hardware change might have blah blah.

Last edited by Pill Monster; 09-13-2010 at 04:26.

Old
  (#12)
Adma192
Master Guru

Default 09-13-2010, 05:07 | posts: 797 | Location: Toronto, Canada.

Quote:
Do you have another drive to use for now?

You need to isolate it to one component.
No, I only have this HD plus an external one for storing music and movies.

And no, no BSOD.. just the inability to boot Windows 7 again after a restart or a shutdown.. the computer will just restart over and over again after Windows 7 fails to boot - sometimes Safe Mode works, sometimes it doesn't - sometimes Startup Repair works, although 99 times out of 100 it doesn't. I'm going to call the shop I bought all my parts from and see if I can exchange the HD since it was a relatively recent purchase and should still be under warranty.

Old
  (#13)
EspHack
Maha Guru

Videocard: ATI/HD5770/1GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-980X
Mainboard: Intel DX58SO
Memory: DDR3/1600MHz/16GB/4 stick
Soundcard: ASUS XonarDX/Logitech G51
PSU: EPS Super Flower 750w
Default 09-13-2010, 05:37 | posts: 1,844

well you can:
-try linux from the cd without install it
-change your HDD

you have overclocked your rig?

Old
  (#14)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Default 09-13-2010, 05:47 | posts: 24,260 | Location: NZ

Quote:
No, I only have this HD plus an external one for storing music and movies.

And no, no BSOD.. just the inability to boot Windows 7 again after a restart or a shutdown.. the computer will just restart over and over again after Windows 7 fails to boot - sometimes Safe Mode works, sometimes it doesn't - sometimes Startup Repair works, although 99 times out of 100 it doesn't. I'm going to call the shop I bought all my parts from and see if I can exchange the HD since it was a relatively recent purchase and should still be under warranty.
Well you shud really be sure of wat's wrong before u RMA it, nothing's def yet until u run tests.

Old
  (#15)
eagled1
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
Processor: 2700k @4.9 on H2O
Mainboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
Memory: 16GB GSkill @ 1866 Sniper
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 09-13-2010, 17:21 | posts: 361

definitely hardware....most likely RAM but HD is possible. remove all peripherals and try to start. I would also reset CMOS by removing battery. make sure all your connections are seated properly. I have had many customers PC's with BSOD and startup issues that turned out to be improperly seated cables and pci cards.

Old
  (#16)
Kinfa
Master Guru

Default 09-13-2010, 20:28 | posts: 395

Well, I think testing memory with memtest is the first and easy step you should do. If errors occure cmos reset with battery out and reseat memory sticks. This way I resolved similar problem on my computer. If memtest is OK, than hard drive could be dead.

Old
  (#17)
Adma192
Master Guru

Default 09-13-2010, 20:53 | posts: 797 | Location: Toronto, Canada.

I burned the memtest iso to a CD but I couldn't boot from it.. the Windows 7 splashscreen came up and the computer shut down. Booting from the Windows 7 CD worked fine though. Might have happened because when I restarted the computer to do a memtest I just happened to land on the one restart that makes me have to do a fresh install of Windows 7 (so here I am on another freshly formatted drive..) - I'm running Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostics to check the HD and will try memtest again when this is finished.

Old
  (#18)
Kinfa
Master Guru

Default 09-13-2010, 21:26 | posts: 395

Quote:
I burned the memtest iso to a CD but I couldn't boot from it.. the Windows 7 splashscreen came up and the computer shut down. Booting from the Windows 7 CD worked fine though. Might have happened because when I restarted the computer to do a memtest I just happened to land on the one restart that makes me have to do a fresh install of Windows 7 (so here I am on another freshly formatted drive..) - I'm running Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostics to check the HD and will try memtest again when this is finished.
You should not see windows splash screen. Boot from CD, tap F12 I think few times at start, boot menu appears, select CD rom and press enter.

Old
  (#19)
Adma192
Master Guru

Default 09-13-2010, 21:58 | posts: 797 | Location: Toronto, Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinfa View Post
You should not see windows splash screen. Boot from CD, tap F12 I think few times at start, boot menu appears, select CD rom and press enter.

Yeah, that's what I did - after I press F12 and select my CD drive a black screen will show up that goes something like this..

Loading Operating System ...
Boot from CD/DVD...
Press any key to boot from CD/DVD...

When I tried booting form the memtest CD I made it only made it as far as

Loading Operating System ...
Boot from CD/DVD...

before the Windows splash screen showed up, so obviously something was amiss.. what was weird though was that I could boot from the Windows 7 disk with no issues. Either the CD is ****ed up for some reason or I was just running into issues because the computer wasn't able to make it past the startup screen at all. I'll try again when the WD diagstic utility is finished - I can always restart my computer at least a couple times before it becomes FUBAR so hopefully I don't run into any issues this time around.

Last edited by Adma192; 09-13-2010 at 22:02.

Old
  (#20)
Kinfa
Master Guru

Default 09-13-2010, 22:03 | posts: 395

Something is wrong here, burn memtest iso file on other PC and try again.
When you load from memtest cd, it loads immediately after you press enter on boot menu.

Download this zip file http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10...+-4.10.iso.zip, unpack and burn image file on cd. Must work for sure.
If you can load Western Digital Diagnostics utility, memtest should load too.

Last edited by Kinfa; 09-13-2010 at 22:17.

Old
  (#21)
Adma192
Master Guru

Default 09-14-2010, 02:58 | posts: 797 | Location: Toronto, Canada.

Here are the results of the HD utility.

But I still can't get memtest to work.. tried again but the same thing happened.. computer shut down pretty much immediately after I tried to boot from the CD and and 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD...' message that should have shown up was nowhere to be found. Is there anything special I need to note when burning the .iso to a CD or should it just work? I'll try using my dad's laptop to burn a CD instead and see if that works..

Old
  (#22)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Default 09-14-2010, 03:03 | posts: 16,174 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

You're getting HD errors because your system keeps shutting down improperly.
If your system is restarting before it even gets to the software stage it is 100% hardware.
Either, it is RAM, Mobo or power...
If you have two or more sticks of ram...pull one out and see if the system will remain stable..if not keep testing each one until it becomes stable. I hope I am explaining this correctly. This may help until you get memtest working.

Last edited by ROBSCIX; 09-14-2010 at 03:05.

Old
  (#23)
Adma192
Master Guru

Default 09-14-2010, 04:25 | posts: 797 | Location: Toronto, Canada.

God ****ing damnit I downloaded Nero and wasted like 4 CD's and memtest STILL will not ****ing work. The computer isn't shutting down, however - when I boot from the CD the screen now goes something like this..

Loading Operating System...
Boot From CD/DVD...
something something something 1.4mb

Then Windows just starts normally.

EDIT: Just had to reinstall again. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic since I couldn't get memtest working and it didn't find any errors. Is it a safe bet that it's my HD or should I still fiddle around with the memory?

Last edited by Adma192; 09-14-2010 at 05:18.

Old
  (#24)
ROBSCIX
Don Sonic

Default 09-14-2010, 05:40 | posts: 16,174 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Quote:
God ****ing damnit I downloaded Nero and wasted like 4 CD's and memtest STILL will not ****ing work. The computer isn't shutting down, however - when I boot from the CD the screen now goes something like this..

Loading Operating System...
Boot From CD/DVD...
something something something 1.4mb

Then Windows just starts normally.

EDIT: Just had to reinstall again. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic since I couldn't get memtest working and it didn't find any errors. Is it a safe bet that it's my HD or should I still fiddle around with the memory?
Well it seems like the boot CD is not made right or it should pick it up and boot from the Memtest CD you made.
Windows mem diagnostics is not good enough. You need memtest to test every cell of the ram. I would still suggest it is the ram considering the way you're describing the problem. Unless I am missing something...

Old
  (#25)
Adma192
Master Guru

Default 09-14-2010, 07:17 | posts: 797 | Location: Toronto, Canada.

Quote:
Well it seems like the boot CD is not made right or it should pick it up and boot from the Memtest CD you made.
Windows mem diagnostics is not good enough. You need memtest to test every cell of the ram. I would still suggest it is the ram considering the way you're describing the problem. Unless I am missing something...
That's the thing though.. what reason is there for my memtest CD not being bootable? I've tried two different computers, using Nero to specify that it's a boot CD and tried 4 different discs.. I can't understand why it wouldn't work.

EDIT: Okay, I FINALLY got memtest working.. had to right-click the .iso on the desktop and click "burn image to disc" - worked fine and found no errors with my memory. Called technical support and the guy said it was likely my HD - going to go exchange it now and see if it solves my problem.

Last edited by Adma192; 09-14-2010 at 17:28.