MSI GTX 970 Gaming Fan Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by slickric21, Sep 26, 2014.

1. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Guys, got a problem here that is driving me nuts.

I can't control the fan/s on my new MSI 970 gaming at all.

If i leave them at auto (either in Inspector or Afterburner) while im playing a game or benchmarking, the fan speed ramps up - particulary if overclocked, but it never ramps down again when i've finished, unless I restart my computer.
    At this time the montioring software (either Inspector or AB) will report that the rpm has dropped back to 0% - but it clearly hasn't judging by the racket coming out of the case next to me!!!

Also I have noticed that if i set a fan speed of for eg 50% in Inspector and apply, the fan does ramp up to this speed. Monitoing reports 50% as it should.
    If I then set it back to auto (or 0% whatever) Monitoring reports it back to 0% but the fan actually stays set at 50%.
    Same in AB.

Im sure its something to do with the independant fan control, but man this is driving me crazy.

Tried this so called MSI gaming app, where I read on some review you can control the fans, but the only version I could find was on this site from mid 2013 and it doesn't support my computer.

Anyone else had the same problem ???

Can see me sending this card back for that Gigabyte G1 tomorrow :(

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Not sure if it could be a factor, but are you on the 344.11? Perhaps its just a driver issue?

Maybe a reinstall of .11 or .16 may help? That's the first thing I'd try.. otherwise yes, if not then waiting for a fix for something like that may be tough and you may wish to send em back.

For comparison, I have been using Inspector for ocing and fan adjustment and haven't had issues with either card. Also was able to do so with Afterburner.

3. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Well just looked inside my case, its just one offending fan.
    One is behaving normally, the other gets stuck at the maximum rpm its been at, untill reboot !!

At least I am not alone :bang:

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Ah well there you have it.. sorry to hear man! Hope they release a firmware update for you quickly..

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Interesting. Just ran 3dmark11, got the card up to temp, then stopped it, my fan profile ramped down just as it should.

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ah crap..Now what..I was going to get an EVGA GTX 970 but it has design problems, then i decided to buy an MSI instead and now this..

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Looks like EVGA released a revised 970 with ACX 2.0 cooler, the initial release ones used ACX (not 2.0).

Maybe look into that? Although, I'd still go with a MSI Gaming, works great here.

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, i may go for the MSI because it has the best quality from what i've seen so far..But if there is a problem with the fan, i hope that they will release a bios update.Although eclap, is that 1450Mhz core on stock voltage ?

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yes, stock volts, the oc in my spec is the one I use 24/7 for quiet gaming.

10. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

11. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    According to the thread on MSI support it could just be users with a certain vbios that are affected by this.

Pretty sloppy from MSI imo.

12. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    This happens with a custom fan profile or just the default one?

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Are there many Vbios released with these cards so early ?
    I looked over at Tech powerup database and DL the MSI gaming one and it same as I have on mine .
    So far day2 and my fans are working as they should .
    Played multiple times BF4 for hrs just to see on and off .

It could be fan itself or HW compatibility , I wonder if other models this will show up (Asus, EVGA ) there using the off till xx temp too .

eclap : Is that OC with stock voltage or you raised it .
    I am seeing small spikes to 99-100% power usage in valley at stock clocks (1367 ) but it is very flat .
    All I did so far is raise TDP a bit just on safe side and alter fan profile so fans startup earlier in AB .

This card runs at 1.218v under load stock ,which seems high but guess not for clock speed there running .

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Stock voltage

15. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Both mate sadly.

If I enable a custom profile in AB, the rogue fan (as im now calling it) just stays spinning at what sounds like the highest rpm it reached, even when the temps have dropped. The good fan behaves as it should, and this good fan is also what the monitoring software reports on.

If left to Auto, it does the same.

16. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Try and see if you have the same bios as someone else with this card, like eclap for example...if there is more than one bios that is.

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    my bios matches the 970 gaming bios over at tech powerup database which is ver 84.04.1F.00.F1
    KBT says checksum is 15-[15] if that maters .

18. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yeah I think they are all the same.

I've compared a few from techpowerup with a hex editor and they are identical to mine.

Im thinking the issue is mechanical now anyway based on what another user on MSI forum has said.

When my rogue fan is spinning away at high rpm, if I manually spin the other fan (with my hands)which has returned to idle ok, it then causes rogue fan to then return to idle aswell.

Temporary fix, but it will do untill I decide whever to cut my loses and send this thing back in exchange for a Gigabyte.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Give it time if you can (next week) as it seems like good card other than the fan issue .
    The power limit (110%) is set to 220w , which is way higher than EVGA 187w 970 .
    I didn't check Gigabyte G1 but it probably up too like MSI from its results/performance .

20. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090