Windows 8 vs Windows 7.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BedantP, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Install Windows 7 or Windows 8

Poll closed Sep 13, 2014.
  1. Windows 7

36.6%
  2. Windows 8

63.4%
  1. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    So, my copy of Windows 8 is ruined, huge delay in right click, much less context menus (no NVCPL), Lots of errors, BSODs etc.

So I was thinking, I have a Windows 7 DVD and an option to reset my Laptop (Windows 8).
    I am on Linux Mint 17 (pretty much snappier than windows) (LiveCD). So, my question is - Is Gaming in Windows 8 faster than Windows 7? (please note that I also need multimedia performance too.).

So are there any disadvantages of Windows 8?
    I hate it when I quickly take the mouse to the left bottom corner, but then I fine no Start button.

I cant access System Restore because it just says "no such interface supported".
    So should I go for Windows 7 or do a Reset?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Windows 8 require lesser hardware than 7 and works better, today i see no reason for installing windows 7 over 8.

3. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Long overdue. it been year and half after that article date. performance on 8 is on par with 7 if not better, i would install 8 and that it.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    System restore is broken into multiple sections. To create the restore point i have to go to system settings and if I wish to restore, I must go to Recovery in the Control Panel. Some idiot at MS must have thought it's the modern thing to do. I myself installed 8.1 out of boredom :p

Unless you enjoy BF4 a lot, just install 7 and be done with it until they release 9 early next year which will hopefully restore the interface to full usability. Just this month they fixed the desktop version of Onedrive so there's hope.

I've noticed no difference between 7 and 8.1 in gaming other than in BF4.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Been on 8.1 for about a month now, and I've come to enjoy it. Boot times are astounding. Performance (I hardly benchmark) is not enough between 8 and 7 to notice a real-world difference.
    The UI took a little getting used to, but everything that I run day to day, I have an icon on my desktop for. The Start area has a few more that I use periodically, (and the Live Tile aspect here is nice for Weather and FB updates) and the 'Start Menu' area I hardly use at all, unless I need a Windows App - calculator or some such.
    The only drawback I've had so far, is the few times I have to run something in the fullscreen app mode, but most programs you can download the regular stand-alone version & keep your windowed aspect. Window's own settings are usually done in this full-screen mode, but usually if I need to dig that deep, I'm not running anything else anyway.
    Oh, the color scheme & the 'flat' look to an individual window's border & title bar is a little annoying for someone who really enjoyed Win7's Aero look, but that's a minor thing.
    So for me, day to day & game to game, there really wasn't any difference that made a noticeable impact.

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Better solution: Get the manufacturers drivers for the Laptop and clean install Win 8.1.

No preinstalled crap.

8. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    Based on the Poll Win8 won by 4 points!
    Backed up my files will do a factory reset soon!
    CYA.
    BTW, Are the ICafe drivers good?

PS. Right now I was doing my Homework...... so Backup is over and after the download of my important 337.90 icafe drivers with modded infs completes Imma say good bye to all my games (some of them are not backed up)

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    performance of game would be the same, in case u think that 8 has some magic.

10. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    So guys? Are The Icafe Drivers good?\

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    yes they are

12. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I agree. You can find an ISO on the web quite easily. Just get your drivers all set and put them on a USB drive and you're good to go.

And my opinion about which windows to install. Win 8.1 w/ update 1 runs great for me. I found an ISO with the update 1 so I didn't do an update within windows. I recommend finding that ISO or PM me and I may be able to steer you to it. I actually don't miss win7 at all. Boot times are faster. And it seems to have better TRIM support for SSD's.

13. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I usually move to a newer OS just because it's newer. But what I like about Win8 is the more detailed task manager... and the Netflix App.

14. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    Ok, I just Logged on Windows 8 it's running better than before,
    But... There is no preinstalled crap by Samsung?
    Only SW Update by Samsung....
    Previously I had SSettings.
    So whatever, no preinstalled crap means better.
    BTW, The iCafe Drivers give me 184 FPS average in Novabench, Havent tested Firestrike yet. Previously I had 188, looks like my laptop missed some tweaks I applied before, Aerolite theme etc.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This,definitely use less computer resources than 7 and its faster.

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I know I can run programs faster in windows 8 after booting up then in windows 7.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I didnt notice difference in performance and like the w7 ui alot better.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Installed 8.1 on an old laptop with 1GB RAM and its a lot faster than it is with a fresh copy of 7 on it, only uses about 500-600MB RAM idle

19. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    600MB MAX????????
    I have idle 1.0 gb max
    How is this possible i have no bloatware either!
    I have only Driver (Intel, NVidia), Antivirus Webroot Secureanywhere uses leass than 5 mb ram...

Any tips in lowering ram consumption, I dont want to end up disk swapping..

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    How much RAM do you have in that machine?

The more RAM you have, the more Windows will load into memory, so because I only have 1GB in that laptop, it's gonna be using the pagefile quite a bit

If I put another Gig in, it would use more than 600MB

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014