Crossfire, Not quite working...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MarekCodex, Jun 3, 2016.

1. MarekCodex

MarekCodex Guest

GPU:
    2x HIS Radeon HD 6970
    Before I begin, I want to just acknowledge I'm new here, So I am not quite certain if this is the right place for this post. In my search for an answer google had brought me here a few times in the last couple days, though the posts were fairly old.

I've had this issue for some time, but only quite recently have I become concerned.

I've got two HIS Radeon HD 6970s, and I'm attempting to get them in crossfire, but to no avail. I've been trying on and off for some time, always ending the same way, (for all I know this might be normal and I think its a problem).

Pretty much what happens is; No matter what game or application I load up, my primary card takes most of the load, sometimes nearing 98% while my secondary won't budge past 3% max....

Solutions I've tried.
    -Swapping the cards. (Which ever one is in the primary slot takes the hardest hit, so they do work separately)
    -Getting a new motherboard(not because of this issue, I just felt like it was time for an upgrade).
    -Trying a different bridge. (Originally I believe I had the one that came with the card, then I swapped to the one that came with my motherboard.)
    -Running DDU, installing fresh drivers.
    -Disabling ULPS

My computer detects both cards, and they both seem to be working to some degree. Is there anything I may be missing. I'm somewhat certain I may be doing something wrong... lmao

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Not all games are supporting crossfire. And only few have solid support for it. (same goes to nvidia).

Run a benchmark that utilizes both card and see if both cards being used.
    Free 3dmark might be a good try.

Also what is your CPU? Chances are, your CPU can't handle both GPUs and hits performance limit before your GPUs do.
    So keep eye on CPU usage.

3. MarekCodex

MarekCodex Guest

GPU:
    2x HIS Radeon HD 6970
    My confusion began when I was playing some more graphic intensive games, and never really saw any difference in performance. I suppose I expected it to work for anything that was doing work on my gpu.

As for the benchmark, I just ran the 3DMark Firestrike and cant tell you how excited I was to see both GPUs doing about the same amount of work in Open Hardware Monitor. Atleast I know that Crossfire is infact working, Though I'd would have hoped it worked for at least a couple other games and applications.

The CPU I have is the AMD FX-9590. I was keeping an eye on all the little bars on the gadget, it barely broke a sweat when both GPUs were hovering around 90% during the benchmark.

The only other thing now is, a warning appeared after the benchmark completed, with the message ,"GRAPHICS DRIVER IS NOT APPROVED"...

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Ok, so at least it works.

One more thing to keep in mind: if you have Vsync enabled in game or there factor that limits GPU output, it just might not require more GPU power.
    Basically, game or application doesn't require more power, so another GPU is just idling.
    Or as I mentioned before, CPU might bottleneck...

5. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    It would still share the load with the other gpu, no matter whether there is a cpu bottleneck or not. What is the output of your PSU? Can it handle a fx9590 ánd two hefty cards?

6. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    What graphics driver are you using? I remember some posts here about people with also non-working crossfire with the latest crimson drivers. This is not the case for me though, working great.

It would still share the load with the other gpu, no matter whether there is a cpu bottleneck or not. What is the output of your PSU? Can it handle a fx9590 ánd two hefty cards?

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    GRAPHICS DRIVER IS NOT APPROVED just means 3DMark guys have not approved that driver for genuine results on their site yet

Happens with new and beta drivers, new (WHQL) drivers are eventually approved and previous results will be in green

If benchmarks are using more or less full GPU usage, CF is working

I stopped using CF after my 3rd attempt, this time with a 295X2 was the exact same experience as it was years previously with my first 5770 CF experience

CF rarely works in anything other than benches (I think Crysis 3 worked well)

Not tried SLI, but best option is generally to use the money spent on two cards, to buy one beefier card

8. MarekCodex

MarekCodex Guest

GPU:
    2x HIS Radeon HD 6970
    Apologies for the delayed reply. I just got on my computer and was opened up CCC, and was asked if I wanted to update. So now I'm on "Driver Packaging Version
    15.301.1901-160226a-299900E"

I'm fairly certain my processor can handle it, though I'm not too sure about my PSU ... I believe I have the XION XONP14F 1000W

I think in a couple months I'm going to upgrade to a nice new card, and probably just pull out the other one, as not to deal with the headache of Crossfire.

Might you guys have any recommendations? I've been looking at the R9 380x, or maybe even the R9 390...

9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    If you are going to upgrade in a couple of months, i would definitely look at polaris.

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Agreed, wait for the RX490 8GB edition