Is R9 290x crossfire worth it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by guppysb, Feb 13, 2015.

1. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    Hey guys,

I bought a Sapphire R9 290x in May 2014 for roughly $550 USD. I feel like a moron now since they're so cheap now. It was also around the time when I got i7-4790K. My motherboard is the MSI GD-65 Z87.

I am getting ready for the Witcher 3, along with GTA 5, and I am guessing I am going to need more than 4gb for these games. My monitor is a QNIX 2560x1440 running at 100hz. Even with the R9 290x, Dying light barely runs at 30 fps with max settings and 1440p.

Do you guys think it is worth it to get another R9 290x? Sell my current R9 290x (for a huge loss I am guessing)? Can I crossfire a new and coming 3xx card with my current R9 290x?

Also, a problem I have never had with Nvidia cards, but I am having with my R9 290x. Although, I am unsure if it is just the fault of the AMD card. Youtube gets stuttery and extremely buggy on IE/Chrome/Firefox if I run at 1080p. Games also keep crashing when the R9 290x gets too hot or runs for a bit over like 1-2 hours. Could be isolated to just the Sapphire card though.

Please, I am open to all suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    You could crossfire a new card to your current card but the newer one would just down clock for the older one. I would wait and see how the new cards are before either upgrading to a 3XX or another 290x for crossfire. The thing about two gpu set ups though is that it is a hit or miss with games and especially new ones as most new ones do not support Dual GPU's right away leaving you to wait for drivers or profiles for those games or disabling crossfire and using one card until said drivers come out.

Dying Light is a very poorly optimized game that beats any graphics card right now, Batman arkam city was the same way when it came out.

I see you have the tri-X that should be keeping your card cool enough, you might want to think about trying to get better air flow in your case to help it out. Your card might be dusty or it might need to have the thermal paste reapplied.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  3. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    No, mine isn't the reference card. It's the TRI-X OC Sapphire card with the 3 fans. So it's relatively quiet, but it does get hot.

Have you experienced youtube problems or game crashes? My game crashes used to minimal on Nvidia cards, but it's a normal occasion on the new R9 290x.

4. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    I have not had any game crashes, or youtube issues. If you can RMA your card I would. Game crashes could be driver related though. Make sure you have all your Nvidia drivers uninstalled and the newest ones from AMD.

5. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Don't make the same mistake again! lol never purchase a new card when they first debut. Not only paying top dollar but might also have hardware issues they fixe one the 2nd, 3rd, 4th revisions.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Some people have it, it is flash problem for FF. Game should not crash, unless you have not installed proper m$ visual studio redist, or some DX libraries are outdated.
    Are you using raptr/radeonpro or other application using game overlay? Multiple applications doing that hate each other.

As for the temperature, 1st comes airflow in case, you need to have fan which takes hot air from card out, preferably at side panel. If airflow is good (side panel does not get hot too from card hot air), then you may use msi afterburner, to set customized fan speed reaction to temperature.

I have mine going higher rpm than standard via vBIOS modification as reference bios had fan configuration done for blowers.

(But as you mention that heat issue comes after hours of playing, I think it is airflow.)