Packet loss (?) problem.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Hyadum, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Hello everyone I hope you all are doing great. This is the first time I post something in this section so please if I did something wrong, tell me so I can fix it. :)
    Forgive me for my English, if I was not clear somewhere tell me so I can try to explain it in another way.

First some details:

My connection is: 10 mbs DL / 1 mbs UP in fast mode
    My modem-router is : Linksys WAG320N

Now with the problem itself:

Around 2-3 weeks back I started to notice my internet would cut off for 2-3 second and quickly reconnect. It wasn't a proper disconnection, just a quick 2-3 seconds without internet (the lights on the router would stay lit and not turn off). Now I didn't do anything at the time, thinking it might have been my ISP doing some works/checkups/whatever they do so I let it pass.
    While doing basic internet stuff, this would rarely get noticed, while gaming online well... RIP gaming.

I mainly play TF2 and another non steam game online and I would notice getting those lag spikes - freezes once in while. I thought my router was giving up on me since it has served me well for 5 years I'd say so I just went and bought a Netgear 2200v4. Well, didn't work... actually that router would lose internet alright once in a while... and by lose I mean the DSL light would turn off and I would get a time out- lost connection in the game.
    I called my ISP, asking for checks on my line and they said my line was perfect. SNR... line attenuation.. couldn't ask for a better dsl line... and what I found strange was those dsl attributes really were from good-to very good. I just magically had this problem.

So I had a tech guy from ISP come to my house and he checked every plug, cable from the central to my house and he said he hadn't found any problem and the line was perfect. He called then another guy to my isp and they did see that my line was going on and off, despite having great SNR and attenuation. (If I'm not wrong, it should be around 500-600m from the DSLAM/cabinet I'm connected to).
    They said they would monitor my line activity for the week end and see what was going on. On Monday I call them again and somehow my case was closed and the monitoring ... well no monitoring. Typical Italian incompetence. <.<''''''

The tech guy came back a couple of times to my house, did all the checkings again and still, perfect line... and what makes me mad is my line actually works perfect, except for those packet loss-lag spikes every once in a while. So he told me to put the old router (Linksys) since in his opinion it had less dispersion on the line than the new one (Netgear) and he eliminated a wire in my house that caused interference (or whatever I don't know really).
    Told me to unplug all my house phones which might cause interference and so I did. So I'm now plugged into the wall directly, no filters just an adaptor for my plug.
    He goes again and guess what... my line still acts weird once in a while.

So I started checking by myself and started pinging by windows cmd and this packet loss would show there so the problem actually exists.
    I read online and did a combined pinging with router- my isp DNS - google.com and once in a while I would get a time out on google - isp but not on my router, pinging strongly at <1 ms.

I downloaded then Pingplotter and started tracerouting google (easiest site) and I noticed my packet loss happens about once every 3 minutes.
    I usually have at least 2 smartphones connected to WI-FI but I did the tests with WI-FI off (only my pc connected through LAN) but still same exact problem.

Here's the pic with pingplotter and the cmds pinging:

[​IMG]

As you can see as soon as google and isp time out I get a red line on pingplotter. And my router doesn't time out or shows any error.
    Also something I want to say... pingplotter shows my router having 50% packetloss all the time but I guess it is from a setting whether from the router itself or pingplotter. I don't think my router is losing 50% all the time otherwise it would show way more often I think? ...

I sent another similar pic to my isp with a test they asked me to do but haven't had an aswer yet due to weekend.

In short I tried 2 routers (well 3 with the isp one but that is horrible and caused more problems than these other 2), 3-4 dsl cables with 1-2 ethernet cables. I changed my plug from my room's into the main one. I even checked with my sister laptop connected to LAN (no WI-FI) thinking it was my PC (maybe some software causing it or my ethernet card dying or whatever) and guess what even her pc shows that damn packet loss about every 3 minutes.

I have no idea what to do anymore. If you guys have any tips, something I need to tell my ISP for them to check... that would be greatly appreciated.
    I will problably ask someone to borrow their router and try it (you know, I MIGHT have bought a faulty one and the current one is dying...) as soon as I can but I wanted to hear any opinion on the matter, since I'm not too good with network stuff.

Sorry for the wall of text and typos that might be in there, but I wanted to explain it the best way I could.

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    simple, ask a neighbor using same ISP if he is having that problem, check for yourself if necessary

you have already tried replacing everything on your end, so it is their problem now, DSL cables get damaged and can cause this, threaten to leave them for another ISP if they dont fix this asap

3. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    you said you use the google DNS servers.

did you try other ones?

for example https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS

set it in your network ipv4/v6 properties as well as in your router.
    make sure that the secondary DNS is also not the google one.

and i get you are connected via Ethernet on your main machine right?

4. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Thanks for the answers guys!

Yes I am connected via Ethernet on my pc.

I don't think anyone close to me is using my ISP but I will check that.
    I tried both google dns and openDNS.

I will talk to ISP since the problem seems to be on their end.

Thanks again for the answers!