How much ppd do you get?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by ra_alfaomega, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    Hello to guru 3d folders!
    I see that recently there hasn't been any activity on fah forum and I thought that I shall begin a new thread where we can say how much ppd our systems are pulling and what configuration you have.
    Almost one month ago a new folding team has arised, Barnacules Nerdgasm and i saw the youtube presentation that was very inspiring for those who joined that team. So many of them and I was thinking why don't we have more folders to Guru3d?
    Guru3d it's about graphics card in the first place, so with so much people that are reading this wonderfull site, why don't we have more folders? I know there are so many with powerfull graphics cards out there , that can have a big impact on our team ppd. They can have a real contribution finding a cure for the most aggressive diseases that exists today. I hope in the future we will grow and someday Guru3d can be in top 10 contributors to fah around the world. :)
    This is my folding rig:
    Cpu: 3930k @4,2 Ppd : ~ 27k ( 8 threads) - I fold from time to time, not always
    Gpu: 1070 Msi Gaming X @ 2126/ 9026 Ppd: ~650-700k average

Sorry for my bad english!

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    hello ra_alfaomega! agreed its good to see the video go up like that and see there team go crazy with user. it would be great to see are team do that.

im still on my old hardware for now
    2x780s = 200kppd~ x2
    2x670s = 75kppd# x2
    2600k 4.5ghz = don't know anymore lol

there mite a another 780 soon i got my other brother a 1060 wish i could fold on that. may get myself 2 10xx at some point

3. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    1060 is in the range of 350-400 k ppd. It would be nice if you could fold on that :) I see that lately our team score jumped.:banana: I think CitationX and PantherX put their hands on something with more stamina, maybe a Titan X Pascal or, 1070 x2... I didn't had the money to spend on a Titan Pascal, otherwise it is a very good card for folding, it's around or more than 2x 1070.

4. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Hiya ra_alfaomega,

Yeah, you're right about my getting my hands on new gear! I just assembled my desktop (after 5 years, previous desktop was i7-860) with dual GTX 1070 and i7-6700K. I did run F@H for ~5 days on stock settings to ensure that all components were stable and not faulty. I am currently in the process of overclocking and fine tuning my system so might be a week or two until I can resume F@H on the system :)

With stock settings, CPU:6 with 2 GTX 1070 nets about 1.2 Million PPD. Once I have finished tweaking my system, can give more details :D

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    2x7970s: 254,029 PPD (24h average). Folding is not consistent, with frequent electrical cuts and slow upload.

I'd say around ~330,000 PPD or so when it's consistent.

Weird that a 1070 is getting double when it's slightly faster in games. Is it because of the bonuses of finishing each unit sooner (rather than 2 slower units at half the speed in parallel)?

6. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    QRB (Quick Return Bonus) encourages faster returns of WU. IIRC, it's in between a linear and an exponential curve so an hour or two can make a difference. Do note that upload and download times are also counted in the QRB calculation.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Makes sense!

Keep on folding, peeps, it's for a great cause.

8. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    Very powerfull system you have there, PantherX. You will add a boost to our team ppd. Hope you finish your tests soon, so you can put those babies to good use ;)
    I see that here on Guru3D we have some fah veterans, but the new ones are very rare and are not consistent with folding...
    Anyway, I am glad that we are in top 50 :)

9. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    Thank you for your contribution yasamoka! Before the 1070 I had Amd 270x around 100k ppd. Now my 1070 gives me almost x 7 the ppd that I had before. I see that in fah nvidia is faster than amd, for now at least.
    I swithed to cpu: 10 and now from 27k --- I have 35k. But my cpu and mobo are almost 5 years old and I don't want to use them 24h/24 per day. I get mostly 903x projects.

10. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    PantherX, what sorts of projects your cpu is doing, becuase I see that they are many of them per day?

11. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    dam im being left behind in the ppd department no bad thing in some ways :) keep it up peeps those 10XX gpu are power houses

12. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    At work (having gotten permission from the boss), I run the Chrome F@H App within the browser. That way, if I need to do some CPU intensive work, can finish the WU in 10 minutes. Otherwise, it folds 24/7 on the CPU. The work is an i7-6600 Skylake default and is pretty good.

13. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Thanks, buddy!

So far, my CPU is 4.6 @ 1.37 "stable" (OCCT with Small size plus AVX and RealBench with 32 GBs for 8 hours is fine) but doesn't hold up to LinX (using 29,375 MB of RAM). I would ideally like to stabilize it on LinX so that I know for a fact that my system can virtually handle anything and be rock stable for years to come [​IMG]

RAM is running at 3,000 MHz overclocked. Just need to stress test it with Google's test and then I plan to tackle the GPUs which should be the easiest. Once all that is done, I then plan to run F@H on it for a few weeks 24/7 before I retire my laptop and move to my new desktop.

14. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Couldn't agree more, mate :D

Next year, I might upgrade to GTX 1080 Ti or wait for Volta to be released... either way, F@H is going to be on the top of my list for my desktop [​IMG]

15. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    My system needs more voltage as the years pass, if at the beginning 4,5- 4,6 was ok, now maximum of 4,4 is more than I like for 24/7. I see that the overclock limit for intel processors didn't go to much higher compared to my 3930k. I am curious of your ppd , after you tweak the cpu. Unfortunately there is not to much mention of the cpu ppd since 2013-2014 on the web.
    When I changed ram from 1333 to 1866 mhz I remember I saw a slightly improvement on time per frame, so your cpu will benefit from your overclocked ram.
    Good luck with the tweaking PantherX and I hope we hear good news from you as soon as possible :)

16. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    An update so far... After 5 days of running F@H 24/7, here are the results:
    CPU:6 -> ~20K
    GPU:0 -> ~ 600K
    GPU:1 -> ~600K
    Total is about ~1,200K

Depending on the type of WU, my PPD varies from 1 million to 1.5 million.

17. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    Very nice numbers you have there.:)
    What sorts of projects your cpu is doing, because at cpu: 6 your 6700k@ 4,6 gets around 20k that is similar to my cpu :6 3930@4,2 with around 19-20k. Cpu projects are mostly 903X. Now I am running cpu:10 with 36K but it's not folding continuously. 2 cores are for the gpu.
    Your gpu's are overclocked or at stock?

18. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Sorry for the delay in reply as we lost internet connection during the weekend :(

CPU project is 903X most of the times that I have randomly checked.

GPUs are overclocked. I have tweaked the Core (~2,000 MHz) and Memory (~4,000 MHz) Clocks along with voltage tweaks. If you're want to play safe, just increase the Power and Temperature limit and GPU 3.0 Boost will take care of the rest :)

19. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    Hello PantherX!
    I understand now why the sudden drop in your ppd by the weekend. It's good that your internet connection has been resolved. So you have an 8 core cpu, 2 cores I thing goes for the gpu's so , the remaining 6 for cpu. It seems that per core performance beetwen 3930k and 6700k it's not so different. I don't understand.... If a put mine at cpu:6 @4,2 gives me 19-20 k on 903x projects, and I understand yours is at @ 4,6 with 20k ? Maybe the cpu:6 that you selected shares some resources with other processes?
    Also I have a question, your gpu's are linked in sli bridge? Can I buy another gpu to fold along my 1070, let's say a 1060? Or it is not possible...

20. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Yep, I was rather upset over the weekend that F@H stopped working... while I can survive without internet, F@H can't. Glad that everything is back to normal :D

I checked i7-3930K which is 6 cores with 12 CPUs while i7-6700K is 4 cores with 8 CPUs. F@H performance is strongly related to physical cores so if I get the same PPD on 4 cores are you're getting on 6 cores, that's pretty impressive. The hyper-threading does have some effect on the PPD but not as significant as physical cores.

If I really wanted, I can lock the FahCore_a4 process to the physical cores and their correct hyper-thread and assign both GPUs to a single hyper-thread. In theory, by doing that, you can gain performance. How much performance is gained, it varies from system to system. However, I haven't used processor affinity to lock the FahCore_a4 process to particular CPUs. Currently, it is only folding on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit so any CPU usage is from GPUs and the OS along with my monitoring applications (Afterburner & HWInfo64). I haven't yet migrated from my laptop to the desktop. If you want to experiment with processor affinity, you can use the free version of Processor Lasso (https://bitsum.com/get-lasso-pro/) which can do this easily.

My GPUs are linked via the SLI bridge, not the HB-SLI bridge. However, I have disabled the SLI within Nvidia Control Panel as F@H doesn't use it. However, if I do need SLI, can enable it easily.

Yep, you can buy another GPU and use it for F@H without issues. For the best experience, it is better to have GPUs from the same architecture, i.e. don't really mix Pascal with Fermi. Thus, you can easily use GTX 1070 with any GTX 10 series. While you can mix Pascal with Maxwell, Fermi, etc, sometimes you may have issues where F@H might attempt to run a specific FahCore on the incorrect GPU which results in WU failures. To resolve this, you can manually configure the GPU slots. In other cases, one set of drivers would work best with Fermi while the same would not be ideal for Maxwell. Hence, sticking to the same architecture results in a pleasant GPU folding experience :)