Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Old
  (#26)
Hammie
Master Guru

Videocard: 760 SMG 28" 1ms 3840x2160
Processor: 4930k Ivy-E 4.5Ghz 12HT
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 64GB
Memory: Corsair Veng. 1890
Soundcard: Xonar D2 & KRK Rokit 10-3
PSU: Corsair AX860
Default 02-17-2017, 16:10 | posts: 563 | Location: Glendale, CA

As long as you dont have Creatives famouse crackling and popping then stick with what you have. Klipsch pownz. THeir pro grade A speakers unlike Creatives or Logitechs pos.

THe difference between onboard and a PCI sound card is the SnR DB levels. Onboard sound isi like 95 SnR Decibel Your Creative card is like 108db SnR. The higher the number the better quality sound you will get. Also the components on good sound cards are high fidelity. Onboard audio is a POS along with nvidia onboard. Stick with what you have. Klipsch speakers are what most theaters use. IT has excellent mids, the bass is solid and highs that arent too high. gl

Old
  (#27)
AMD4Life
Master Guru

Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Processor: Intel Xeon X5675 4.41GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
Memory: 24GB GSkill DDR3 1680MHz
Soundcard: Modi-MB>Vali 2>HD650
PSU: Corsair HX850i
Default 02-17-2017, 16:26 | posts: 158 | Location: USA

True, I don't need an amp that can drive high impedance cans at this time. I wouldn't mind buying something with that ability now to leave me that option in the future though.

That said, I would really like a dac & amp setup that can handle headphones, speakers and a microphone at the same time. That was the main appeal with the GSX 1000, but receiving the defective unit left me questioning the overall quality of these units.

I guess with everything I'm looking for and having gaming in mind, keeping the X-Fi is my best option. If/whenever I decide to upgrade to higher impedance cans, I can always buy a sound card with a built in amp.

Old
  (#28)
sverek
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX970 4G
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Ven. 8GB
Soundcard: XonarDG+HD595
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 02-18-2017, 00:33 | posts: 2,808 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

I wouldn't recommend buying another internal soundcard. You not gonna get rid of static noise caused by PSU and GPU interference.

And as I said, soundcard have much worse components comparing to same price DAC/AMP.
There no need for soundcard unless you need weird sound effects, dynamic sound volume or bogus Dolby Headphones. You can try those gimmicks, but nothing beats clean and true stereo sound.

If you need mic, just connect it to motherboard and call it a day. You don't need soundcard for it nor will soundcard make your voice prettier.

Old
  (#29)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 290 ACIV 1150/1500MHz
Processor: i5-4590
Mainboard: ECS Z97 Machine
Memory: 16GB HyperX 2400MHz
Soundcard: Teac UD-501->JBL LSR308
PSU: Silent Pro M700
Default 02-20-2017, 16:54 | posts: 5,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post
I am not sure if he needs power for headphones that can be somewhat powered by iphone. (23 Ohms)
Purpose as he stated is for isolating static noise and independence from drivers. No need to rush for higher end without proper headphones to drive.
I am just doing a favor to ruptured AMD4Life's wallet.

If he gets HD800, he probably gonna need way better amp anyway.
Not as high end as you might think.
Wasnt there a challenge by nwavguy pitting his 100 bucks O2 amp against anyhting?

People are forgetting whats the weakest link by far.
Or they simply do not know that even the very best speakers/cans are few orders of magnitude less transparrent than any semi-recent onboard audio.

Even knowing this, I almost pulled a flag yesterday on 1200 euro dac... And I am still mulling it over..jesus

Old
  (#30)
AMD4Life
Master Guru

Default 02-20-2017, 17:46 | posts: 158 | Location: USA

Does anyone have experience with the Audioengine D1? I really like that it has connections for headphones as well as speakers. Seems like a good way for me to ditch the Creative drivers/software. Then I can just use my onboard audio for my microphone.

Old
  (#31)
FatBoyNL
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Processor: i7-2600K 45x100 Mugen2B
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe 3603
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Sn-F3 1866C9
Soundcard: ZxR|RX-A1020 DT880|MT-60D
PSU: CM Silent Pro Gold 800W
Default 02-20-2017, 18:49 | posts: 1,451 | Location: The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD4Life View Post
It has been several years since I've looked into & compared sound cards and onboard audio chips. My main focus is gaming (online FPS mostly) and occasionally listening to some music. I am currently using an X-Fi Titanium PCI-E sound card with the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker set as well as Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones. I am curious to know if it would be worth buying a brand new sound card or even just using the onboard motherboard audio when I build my next gaming rig. I understand that onboard audio chips have come a long way since 8-10 years ago.

Any input/advice would be appreciated!
Onboard sound is still out of the question, as others have said
I switched over from an X-Fi Titanium to a ZxR almost three years ago. But only because I needed 5.1 analogue outputs
Very nice card. Also using half-open Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 250ohm cans with it.
Please check http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...-review,1.html

EDIT: nvm, I just got by now that you're tired with Creative

Last edited by FatBoyNL; 02-20-2017 at 18:55.

Old
  (#32)
sverek
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2017, 03:33 | posts: 2,808 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with the Audioengine D1? I really like that it has connections for headphones as well as speakers. Seems like a good way for me to ditch the Creative drivers/software. Then I can just use my onboard audio for my microphone.
Setup wise it's very reasonable.

Audioengine D1 seems solid. Check list below for most popular dac/amp around:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/commen...bos_portables/

Old
  (#33)
AMD4Life
Master Guru

Default 02-21-2017, 14:08 | posts: 158 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post
Setup wise it's very reasonable.

Audioengine D1 seems solid. Check list below for most popular dac/amp around:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/commen...bos_portables/
I am now eyeballing the Schiit Fulla 2 since its is a nice compact unit and won't need any adapters for my headphones and speakers. Less wiring and clutter is always good! Getting paid in a couple days and I think the Fulla 2 might be the next purchase.

Also, I decided to swap my HD 598 Cs for the HD 598 SE yesterday and couldn't be happier! A much cleaner and enjoyable listening experience. I thought I was a bass head and the HD 598 SE proved me wrong. I returned the Cs headphones this morning.

Last edited by AMD4Life; 02-21-2017 at 14:12.

Old
  (#34)
sverek
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2017, 14:28 | posts: 2,808 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

Quote:
I am now eyeballing the Schiit Fulla 2 since its is a nice compact unit and won't need any adapters for my headphones and speakers. Less wiring and clutter is always good! Getting paid in a couple days and I think the Fulla 2 might be the next purchase.

Also, I decided to swap my HD 598 Cs for the HD 598 SE yesterday and couldn't be happier! A much cleaner and enjoyable listening experience. I thought I was a bass head and the HD 598 SE proved me wrong. I returned the Cs headphones this morning.
I always prefer open headphone, if environments allows it. Nothing beat natural , wide and open sound for me.

Regarding Fulla2, some output specs :
Quote:
A full-sized headphone output
A 1/8 fixed DAC output (so you can use it with a receiver or volume control, bypassing the internal amp)
A 1/8 variable DAC output (so you can use it with powered monitors, or an amp without volume control)
[edit] source : http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2

If I am not wrong, your speakers already have integrated amp. You just need clean sound of DAC from your Fulla 2.
Connect your speakers to Fulla 2 fixed DAC output and adjust volume on speakers side, the one in bold text.

Last edited by sverek; 02-21-2017 at 14:31.

Old
  (#35)
AMD4Life
Master Guru

Default 02-22-2017, 15:35 | posts: 158 | Location: USA

I decided to order the Fulla 2 last night. Already got a tracking number so hopefully it will be here in the next 2-3 days. I will update when it arrives and I get a chance to hear how it sounds.

Old
  (#36)
AMD4Life
Master Guru

Default 02-26-2017, 01:50 | posts: 158 | Location: USA

The Schiit Fulla 2 arrived yesterday and I've been listening to it almost nonstop since plugging into my rig. Personally, I've found no major differences in sound quality compared to my old X-Fi Titanium, but the Fulla 2 is definitely able to drive my HD598s louder and with less distortion at high volumes. I did get rid of the sound interference from the video card and am now free of the buggy Creative X-Fi drivers & software. I can restart my PC again without losing my audio settings which is nice! I have uninstalled the X-Fi and am using my onboard ALC889 chip for the microphone input.

I highly recommend the Fulla 2 (or any other high quality external DAC/amp) to anyone who wants a simple stereo audio solution. Especially for those who can't use their higher impedance and/or hard to drive headphones on their current onboard audio or sound cards.

Last edited by AMD4Life; 02-26-2017 at 02:07.