Possibly broken fan bearings

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dorlor, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Okay, so ive written about this before... but ive gotten my 3rd (yes, 3rd) replacement evga 780 ti sc acx Card... but if i didnt know any better, id say that theyve just swapped the stickers on it, and sent back the same Card, cause im getting the exact same issue with all the replacement Cards. At 65 to 70% fan speed, the fans becomes VERY screetchy, like metal cutting against metal... and my guess is that the ball bearings are busted.

Now my other evga 780 ti sc acx is NOT displaying this issue, so i know for certain that it isnt surposed to sound like that.

I really cba to go through yet another replacement, so im thinking about just buying new fans myself, or possibly an entirely new acx cooler with fans included. Ive searched ebay, but so far without luck, and ive contacted evga, but im still waiting for a reply from them... so would any of you Guys know where to get fans for the ACX cooler?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Should mark the fans / PCB with invisible ink and check when you get it back

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

They probably replaced the card and reused the cooler ;). If it's at a particular rpm range it's possibly a resonance issue.

4. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    That actually sounds very plausible... but if they did that, they would be complete morons, cause i explained in great detail, that my issues were ONLY related to the fans.

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Man, that sucks... but you'd think if the bearings were busted the sound would be noticeable at any speed and get worse as the speed was increased ?

Have you contacted them by phone and spoke with CS rep directly ? If not this would be my next step. Three cards with the same issue is unacceptable.

6. GPU

GPU Guest

7. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Yeah ive already had a look at those threads, and made sure the grills didnt rattle (mine werent really lose to begin with), but it didnt help.

Perhaps a bit of oil could - but surely i need to use a specific kind of oil?

And yeah, they are good oc'ers - the "good" card, which doesnt have any problems, does 1280 mhz on core and 8200 on mem without the additional voltage. The "broken" card does 1250 and 8000... which is still very decent, which is why im reluctant to return it, cause id likely get a horrible card like my first one, which would crash if i increased mhz by 10.