new driver W10 update 353.54

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by chuchicoupe, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Another concern I have about these mandatory driver updates in Windows 10 is that I was using the v353.49 hotfix drivers specifically because they address the TDR issue with Chrome. However, these v353.54 WHQL drivers might appear to be newer but they are from a different branch, I believe, to the hotfix ones so I am unsure whether these include the TDR fix or not.

I know NVIDIA do develop different driver branches and then incorporate fixes into the main ones so I hope that is what has happened here as these are WHQL (not that it means much these days!).

2. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    After you install this driver , you have to install nvidia experience updates. Find it in usually place in taskbar. Takes few sec. Then everything is going back to normal as before with the rest of the standalone drivers.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wait till 29th either it will be cluster **** of problem or is go smooth, but when was last time a launch of MS OS went smooth?

Disable driver installation like it dones in win 7 win 8 is should stop gpu/sound/nic drivers from being installed from wu unless they broke it in win10, cause the option is still there

Re read my post, device drivers installation should still be abled to be disabled same way it done in win 7/8 etc

System properties>hardware>device installation settings
    not sure if that same path in win10 as in win 7 but the option is still there,

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can understand forcing Windows-specific updates and security fixes, etc, but what baffles me is why Microsoft think forcing hardware driver updates by default is a good idea. :3eyes:

I mean we all know how drivers can introduce some issue that means having to revert back to an older one so forcing novices to use these drivers and not giving them any choice is a very, very, very bad idea IMO. Hardware drivers via Windows Update should ALWAYS be optional in my opinion and if the user chooses to download them then they should be asked WHEN they want to install them.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    re read my orginal post, i have bad habit i edit things lmao

6. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    It messed my system up...

I was wondering why Potplayer doesn't use DXVA-HD scaler, then, I realized that didn't use Native DXVA either. Then, I had tearing on my single monitor.

I was trying to troubleshot for half an hour. Then opened GPUZ and saw no card... Went to Device Manager and when I tried to close it I've been asked for the god damn restart.

Needless to say that I got the rubbish like Nvidia Update manager and 3d vision. Finally found the driver there where the guy on the first page said and did a clean installation. All fine now. Meanwhile, I had the driver updates disabled.

Can't complain, though. I installed an OS that is not officially released yet.

P.S. FYI - I get DX12 & Feature Level 12_1. Also, the drivers are signed but Beta obviously.

Yeah, like auto windows updates cannot cause problems... I seriously think to go Enterprise version. Only there you can turn everything off, like on Windows 7/8.1. Defender got 4 updates today. You can't turn it off either. Even the real time protection turns back on automatically.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, thanks, I found that setting but in Windows 8.1 I am sure that hardware drivers were shown as optional updates regardless of that setting as I never changed it yet I never once had graphics drivers automatically installed like has happened with Windows 10. The system should default to optional for hardware drivers is the point I am trying to make.

I have just been reading the Feedback comments and there are a lot of people complaining about these forced hardware driver updates...

8. Carstuar

Carstuar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr III
    Yup, same issue here. My primary monitor is 120Hz and I get really ugly tearing/spasms when dragging windows on either of my two 60Hz secondary monitors.

I'm also pretty annoyed that Windows 10 forces updates. Why couldn't they just keep the old "automatically download updates but let me choose when to install them" option?

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I'm having more draw calls in 3dmark DX12 with this driver, compared to 353.49.
    But madVR OpenCL doesn't work (since it's WU crap driver installer) -> no, thank you.

10. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    You can fix this using gpedit.msc. Afaik they just enforced this while prerelease testing. Makes sense with all the people out there that don't update their systems for years.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well if the setting dont stop drivers from being install/download in windows 10 it gona be huge put off to me.

12. Timesgodjillion

Timesgodjillion Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0
    Getting major memory leaks when gaming in SLI still, sadly. :( At least 1 GTX 980ti is enough for acceptable framerates in 4k.

13. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    Yea its really bad for me also :(

I last 2 minutes in a bf4 game and then out of memory lol

14. Zolutar

Zolutar Guest

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX sli
    I'm just happy with No TDR's on this one either, I can live with the other bugs, but as long as I am not constantly crashing and locking up, I am a happy man and will patiently wait as they tweak this driver for when 10 goes Released

15. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Alright... what's the preferred way of installing new drivers on Windows 10?

I used to uninstall, then boot into safe mode and use driver sweeper. But booting into safe mode in Windows 10 is a pain in the pooper...

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh dont it have safemode? and DDU automates the boot into safemode too, or does that not work like it does in 7~8

So people just uninstall them threw cp and install the new ones, other just override the drivers, and some like me use driver cleaners like DDU in safemode before installing new drivers, i been doing the driver cleaner things in safe mode since driver sweeper

17. hildegain

hildegain Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 970 4gb
    Drivers haven't changed much other than the mouse bug. Not experiencing any tearing issues and my GPU seems to run cooler now, too.

As for the people whining (outright WHINING) about the automatic updates and the driver releases not being optional... Grow up! You signed up to an insider program to test the operating system. It was never intended to be your main OS. In fact, you were warned not to replace your old OS install.

But no, we have some guy here whining about his FIRST CRASH in win10 like he was somehow violated. Let me just call the wahhhhmbulance. You're looking at Drivers that will be here as the default Windows drivers when everyone else gets the OS on the 29th. So OF COURSE you're forced to download them and switching off the installs because it somehow inconveniences you just demonstrates why you shouldn't be taking part in a preview.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

you have bright future here:)

19. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Sooo.... I tried DDU. It does automatically boot into safe mode for you and it even disables windows from auto-installing drivers for you.

Problem is, after rebooting and installing, windows is not recognizing my video cards.

[​IMG]

Yay Windows 10....

EDIT: Fixed by letting windows install the drivers instead. Whatevs. Hopefully that will be ironed out when this is officially released and I do a clean Win10 install.

20. Timesgodjillion

Timesgodjillion Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0
    LOL, nice name for your PC.