HDMI connection issues...

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by sykozis, Jan 9, 2011.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    In August, I tried to connect my computer (specs in my sig) to my 26" Visio LCD TV. That experience resulted in a melted HDMI cable, 1 melted graphics card, and 1 terminally damaged TV. Today, against my better judgement, I made an attempt to connect my 32" Vizio LCD TV to my computer again. I proceded by shutting down my computer and turning off the TV. Upon attempting to make the connection, there was a spark...which resulted in a melted HDMI port on the TV and another melted HDMI cable. Fortunately, no damage was done to my graphics card this time. Not sure I could deal with another 4 weeks without a graphics card.... So, is there any explanation as to why there would be a spark while trying to connect a computer to an LCD TV via HDMI, while both are turned off??? I've connected DVD and Blu-Ray players via HDMI in the past with both TV and player turned on with no issues....as well as my HD4850, GT240 and GTX275. Is there some inherent problem with HDMI 1.4a on the GTX460 that's causing this to occur?

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    as far as im aware, there shouldnt be any current passing through the cable at all whilst the devices are turned off.

did you leave the rubber caps on the ends of the hdmi cable when you werent using it? what material is the cable made from? theres always a chance that while you were not using it, some dust could have built up and generated static which caused the spark.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It sounds like a mains earth connection is missing/faulty somewhere.
    I've measured 125V (UK) on an audio device when its 240V mains extension wasnt earthed, damned if I remember what it was though.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    what both completely out of wall socket too?

imo that would be the best way, as there might be some charge left maybe in tv or pc, you never know..

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I cleared out the connectors on both ends of the cable to ensure no dust...so the connections were clean. I don't typically unplug my TV because then it has to be setup again...which takes upwards of 1hr. I've connected and disconnected my blu-ray players from the same TV without an issue, so I didn't expect connecting my computer to have an issue....I've also connected my computer using GTX275, GT210, GT220 and HD4850 using HDMI several times in the past. The issue only seems to happen with my GTX460...

6. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Try running the pc + tv from another wall socket, if it works ill share some info..

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    To do that, I'd have to move them both to another room.... Also, this would be the first I've ever heard of an outlet causing an arch while connecting an HDMI cable....especially on 2 devices that are turned off.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  8. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Well doesnt make sense, u got a spare gpu you can try and a spare psu ?

9. TARNY

TARNY Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
    i regular swap out my hdmi from pc to tv from dvd player to dvd and wii ti tv.
    I have only 2 hdmi ports on my tv but 4 componants with hdmi so have to keep swapping them over to watch it.

I have had no issues at all. They are even on when i switch them over.

No sparks at all. So all good for me.you have a major earthing fault somehwere.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    got my old hd4850 and gtx275....but no spare PSUs... gts275 was connected via dvi->hdmi cable prior to the last incident...same cable that melted this time. same cable was used with 9600gt, hd4850, gt210, gt220, gts250 and gtx275. the hdmi cable from the last incident was used with hd4850 (with dvi->hdmi adapter), gt220, gts250 (with dvi->hdmi adapter) and gtx275 (with dvi->hdmi adapter)

11. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Are you re using the same brand HDMI cable over and over again?? Try another wall socket, this is very very strange tbh.. U have any voltage testers to see how much power is coming out of the GPU / wall socket?

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Things just got weirder....I completely removed power from both the computer and TV (turned off surge protectors for both)....and the arch still happened. Now I'm thoroughly confused.... Unfortunately, the next wall socket is in another room. The house had an electrical inspection done last year....which is passed. Our electrical inspections cover checks of all the wiring except what's inside the walls. In the case of a crawl space under the house....even the wiring run under the house is inspected.

I've used a mini-HDMI->HDMI cable (can't remember the brand), Belkin DVI->HDMI cable and Manhatten HDMI->HDMI with MSI's supplied mini-hdmi adapter (tonight's attempt....which melted another hdmi cable and 3port HDMI switch). At this point....I'm tempted to install my 4850 and see if the same crap happens.

I do have a DVOM...but the way things are looking, I'm scared to use it to test the outlet as it wasn't even remotely cheap...

13. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

So its still happening even without the surge protector? Was gonna suggest it could be that but now its out of the equation.. Best bet is try the Voltage tester, im guessing to much power is being drawn from the wall socket which causes the melted hdmi cable.. Or try another tv just to be sure..

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, my UPS is a bit dated and underpowered at 350watts, so I was thinking about getting a new UPS. What do you think of this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102048 I plan on ordering this weekend dependent on your response. I know it's a bit off topic, but I figured while we're at it....it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I'll dig out my multi-meter and a spare, damaged (dead pixels) AOC TV tomorrow and see if it archs in the same manor.

Lol, I just told my wife that I thought you were getting at that

15. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  17. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Weirdest looking surge protectors you linked me, has a screen and all.. Out of the two you linked i'd go with the 900W to be more future proof..

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Those screens are nice....they display all the information about the UPS.

OK, I'll order the 900watt and hold off on further HDMI connection attempts until it arrives.

It has an AVR circuit as well as EMI/RFI filters.

19. westom

westom Active Member

GPU:
    nvidia /unknown / unknown
    The power supply and other functions have too may layers of protection to permit that kind of current. Current is so large as to even melt the wire. No such current can be passing through those many protection layers.

But at least one wire can bypass the protection. No UPS or surge protector will solve that problem. As you noted, a multimeter could identify that defect quickly. Reasons why would be obvious to anyone with basic electrical knowledge. But apparently the obvious is not understood. An electrician should be retained to find this most likely reason for burning HDMI cables and a spark that obviously could never exist if wiring was properly connected.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I can connect and disconnect my blu-ray player and cable box without any issues. The only issue is when I attempt to connect my computer to the TV. The UPS will serve a couple purposes.

1. Battery Backup in case of power failure.
    2. Allow me to put the TV and Computer on the same house circuit.

If the house wiring is in any way the cause of the problems...then the problem will get fixed. But, I can't disable my electronics til such a time that the problem gets fixed. The UPS will allow me to keep the necessary electronics online while I get this issue resolved.