Dedicated server connection

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by TehValkster, Apr 13, 2005.

1. TehValkster

TehValkster Guest

I've built and overclocked many a comp but I'm building a dedicated game server for the first time. The box will be hosted in a data center on an OC-192 internet connection

My question is: How will the connection to my box be made? Alot of the mobos I've seen come with an onboard lan connection. Do they use that, or a 10/100 card or something else? What would be the best? I've also seen that some pci slots are 32 OR 64 bit. Will either type of card make a difference if needed?

I'm putting alot of $ into this and just want everything to be the best available. Thanks for any advice :D

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    What type of computer are you making it?

An actual server? Or just a desktop as a server??

And how much $$ are you willing to put into it?

Personally if your trying to make the best of everything you should be getting a Rackmountable case with like a RAID 5 amongst a few 10k/rpm SCSI drives.

Running Linux perferably, otherwise if your gaming server stuff won't run on Linux use Windows, although don't expect it to be nice and stable, let alone secure.

But that's me personally ;)

3. TehValkster

TehValkster Guest

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Hey, nice server mate.

I don't know how many people your going to be playing at a one time, but I think on that link you'll be fine mate.

How fast is it actually going to run? And does it have the lowest latency possible is the only problem.

You can get a fast connection with terrible latency.

Some ISPS and hosting places actually say that they have super low latency's guaranteed, they are the hosting places you want :)

5. InFiD3L

InFiD3L Guest

GPU:
    x1950 Pro
    Like Finch says....also, I would get all of your clan buddies and a few regular opponents to tracert to node IP of the network where your server will be sitting. That way you can get a broad cross-section of how everyone's performance will be.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Good idea InFiD3L.