The division graphics settings.cfg lines explanation request

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by kilyan, Mar 29, 2016.

1. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Hi, i would like to know what do those line do in this game, if someone knows:
    allowedTearingFast = 1,
    allowedTearingSlow = 1,
    look2 = 0,
    maxFramerate = 2,
    raa = true,
    ["reduce latency2"] =3,
    sss3 = true,
    ["streamer dedicated budget"] = 64,
    ["streamer memory fraction"] = 0.75,

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Bump..

Google brought me here

Anyone know if this raises streaming distance or load even more?

["streamer dedicated budget"] = 64,
    ["streamer memory fraction"] = 0.75,

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The full config file as shown when you unpack the game data would be:

As for streaming distance?

["stream load distance"] = 2000,

I think it's 600 or so on ultra, 1000 on one of the preview settings and full 2000 on the cinematic preset.

The config file resets when the game is started so it has to be set as read-only, of course pushing all these hidden and non-hidden settings to their max like this also causes a pretty hefty framerate hit.

It's also synced to the .xml settings which look like this.

state.cfg also holds some settings such as the new DX12 setting and also screen resolution.

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    And the unpacked "graphics presets.cfg"

(Spot shadow resolution is higher on ultra than on cinematic otherwise that's about as high as the game goes minus some of the Nvidia settings such as ssao being PCSS instead of HFTS)

(reflections = 2, can also go to reflections = 3, but it breaks some reflections such as for example the characters glasses should he be using any.)

(look2 = 0, is the new low-detail light setting which when enabled sets this to 1, and then there's also a value of 2, which I guess is even lower quality?)

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok thanks

, well when i installed uplay version it use to stream more, I mean in distance, now on steam version as if its streaming closer.

Although when i played a bit it started to use more vram 5.5gb in end.. starts with 2.5gb and can have noticeable lower texture detail on cars etc, not so far away.

But this budget was always 64,. So is it safe to raise it then?

Well I did anyway yesterday, but not so much.. I think ~256, need to check again later when I'm on pc

Also raised shadow from 300 to 400 and terrain texture lod from 350 to 450.. it was still ok though.

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As long as you have the VRAM for it then raising the values aren't too problematic and I think the recent patch also altered the streaming system somewhat to where it's completely broken for some people now and constantly keeping textures at their lowest quality level.

Budget should be VRAM assignment in MB if I'm understanding the setting correctly and the fractional value would be I think it's how much of total available VRAM to dedicate going from 0.0 to 1.0

The game does still unload and load texture data and such as you move around, IE when you enter the command center I'm pretty sure it uses the slow walking sequence to unload the city data and load in the interior data of the HQ so you might briefly notice low quality textures as they're loaded in and then swapped for their higher quality versions.
    (The 98Ti has 6 GB of VRAM as I remember it so shouldn't be any immediate bottlenecks there, it does build up after a while though but it's better that it's being utilized as long as it's not exceeded by too much since the swapping this then causes would create noticeable stuttering and performance drops.)

EDIT: Oh I completely forgot that the more detailed city areas might perform a bit worse if you have a larger streaming distance since it loads in more clutter.
    (The tall buildings and weather conditions usually block sight but pop-in and switching from a lower LOD model to a higher one or textures fading in and out can still be noticeable occasionally even if they're trying to hide it.)

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Btw thanks for the tips, was secretly hopping you would see this thread and post :D

Ok, so I checked now and I had set it to 128.. Will try a lot higher and see what's up.

This is how it is atm, I changed those in bold,

This is just it, and why I posted here in the first place. Something just looked wrong when I started it yesterday @ steam compared to uplay version from 2days ago, I tested uplay first @free weekend, then bought on steam yesterday..

Im also forcing driver AF, since this low streaming made uglier filtering as well.. But it doesnt help much, everything seems to look more Low poly.

Like I mentioned default uplay version was ok at first, and higher vram from the start, now it takes a while and I have to travel or make a mission so it uses more vram.. Even with higher 128 setting.

Max vram in both cases was ~ 5.5gb or so at one point.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Can you post your default atm, is it also at 64? Even though you said Ultra should have been 600?

9. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    yeah, my thread was left in the land of the forgotten legends for so much time

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The settings I'm using are the ones in the first and second quote albeit I made most of those tweaks back when the game was just released and the remaining once a SDF unpacker was available so I could check if there was something else which it turned out to be via that default settings file having most if not all the game settings divided between presets for both editing the game and the various PC quality levels but also consoles. :)

But now that you mention it none of the presets in the default config (Packed into the .sdf archives.) actually have a budget setting besides "Cinematic" used for well I don't really know but I'm guessing special showcases and the editor "Builder" preset.

Same with several of the other lod / distance related settings too.

I'll have to re-do the config I'm using to check if there's any differences with the default settings now though the default settings file doesn't appear to have changed at all since version 1.0 of the game though the game could have other stored settings as defaults in for example the exe file itself making it a bit harder to check those.

As for the presets file the simplified lighting setting for example was always there as was the setting for resolution scaling but they were only exposed after I think it was the second patch for the game that added them to the in-game options.

Some options are likely also not really all too useful or have much purpose at all, being winter there is no grass for example so the setting for that is probably not too important.
    (Though the game engine likely support some form of vegetation system.)

The config file - Or files since it updates several of them. - are also updated when you quit the game so as mentioned any added settings get removed but the existing ones can be adjusted which is how you can find out the maximum supported value as the config will be updated with this value should it be exceeded although since you have to set the read-only property on the file to stop the game from purging any other added settings that does also prevent the game from changing these values if that's set.

At least that's what I remember, set the streaming distance above 2000 and it's reset back down to 2000 but this could also have changed, I haven't actively played the game in a long time now.
    (DX12 mode was something I had intended to test but it's a bit buggy and doesn't work at all for some users so that's out until whenever the next patch is released from how it looks.)

Also the max values for most of the LOD related stuff is already set in that preset they've named "Cinematic" though it is missing some of the Nvidia GameWorks effects which I'm guessing were implemented later on during development. (And some other smaller things.)

I'll have to start over with the config file and see if there's been any changes although it is possible the updated version of the game is now more aggressive with purging / unloading assets to where some players are currently stuck with textures refusing to load more than their initial lowest-res variant for some reason, guessing the current 1.5.1 version of the game might have some little bugs so hopefully a hotfix can be released soon.
    (Weekend now and nearly the Christmas holidays too now though.)

EDIT: Yeah they added a PS4 Pro group to the default settings but aside from that I think it's unchanged.

Not too important really but curiously the view scale setting for both XBO and PS4 - Default, non Pro model. - is set to -1.0 which would mean half-res (I think.) but that doesn't have to mean the console platform version of the game uses these exact settings.
    It's likely that was just set during development and there's other files or code handling the actual resolution used for the render res of the game or how to say but well I'm pretty sure the XBO is non-native 1080p via upscaling, unsure about PS4 though.
    (Or the PS4 Pro, 1080p native I guess even with the increased visual quality.)

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok thanks for that detailed explanation :)

I did notice that invalid string and almost wanted to test those but I left them alone.

Will try this streaming higher and see how it goes.

["streamer dedicated budget"] = 128, >>> probably use the same as you 1024
    ["streamer memory fraction"] = 0.75, >>> I'll copy yours too 0.85

["terrain texture lod"] = 450.338, >> i'll keep this alone for now, I see cinematic uses 400, guess its not so important.. Or maybe I'll lower back to 400 to match cinematic setting.

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well I'm pretty sure dedicated budget is indeed for VRAM in MB, you might not need to use a very high value here though if the default is something like 64MB and it might be more of a registry or basic cache with the Cinema preset going all out because it was never intended for normal gameplay.
    (Though now with GPU's with 6+ GB VRAM sparing a GB for this isn't as big of a deal either although wasting resources is never a good idea even if there's more available with recent hardware improvements.)

Fraction I'm pretty sure it's similar to the allocation used by other games loading up VRAM up to usually values around 0.75 to 0.85 meaning 75 - 85% of total sparing a bit for other data and probably also data used by anything else like background processes like a web browser or the earlier Aero.

Texture lod, vertex lod and streaming distance values should all be distances although exactly how much one unit is is kinda hard to say as it usually doesn't translate directly to meters.

Streaming would be for any objects that can be streamed in/out which I'm guessing is primarily 3d assets from NPC to street clutter, unsure if the actual city buildings and larger objects are governed by this. (Avoiding pop-in with higher values but using more GPU power.)

Texture lod should be for texture data loading the highest detail quality at a farther distance to avoid visible swapping between low/high quality though it probably affects VRAM a bit although it depends on many other factors too, DirectX 12 is generally better at resource management for example far as I've understood it. (But it's buggy for many players at the moment, known issue though so hopefully easily and quickly resolved.)

Vertex would be I think it's terrain color but that map terrain wouldn't be very noticeable when covered with a big city over it which unless the distance is different it's probably why it's relatively low.
    (It could be something else though.)

I've been away from the game as I've mentioned, I remember much but it would need to be re-tested against the newer updates to the game.

IE if the game is now more aggressive with unloading data to maintain say a VRAM limit increasing the distance it loads in said data would mean it gets unloaded faster too as more data is swapped around.

It's not like there's much documentation on in-house engines like Snowdrop either, GeForce.com tweak guide covers most in-game options so that's something at least but the rest is just testing and guesswork trying to compare and find what works and how it works.
    (Not exactly anything new but it can be difficult depending on the game or game engine.)

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes I understand. :)

Its just initial texture streaming or idk 1st spawn that looks like crap. It gets a bit better later when it streams more inside vram, but it doesn't do that automatically, I have to travel somewhere first.. By uplay version on Thursday, I didnt see such anomaly, so its still a bit strange how it does this now out of nowhere by steam version, I also checked cfg files back then and I think it was at 64 too..

Will see those new settings now, I just used 1024 and 0.85 and lowered texture LOD back to 400.

EDIT: ok did a quick dx12 benchmark and avg fps stayed the same, vram also, at end of benchmark ~ 2980MB. Maybe they disabled this override, or Steam version got messed up, idk. Guess I'll have to deal with it until they fix it again..:pc1:

Ingame it made streaming like by ID5 Rage - if you turn around fast (only inside e.g. main big HQ), saw it by object shadows and light, think I'll just leave it alone for now :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016