Driver stops working

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Graek, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    Every time I turn off my F@H client my driver stops working for about 5 seconds. Screens go blank and then it comes back on. Anyone else have this happen?

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    witch client version and driver are you using? it not normal for me

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have that issue if I fold on my 660's with SLI enabled. I found if I disabled SLI, it didn't happen.

4. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Are you running at stock speeds and voltages? I underclock for prolonged folding and I'm used to getting the issue you mention if (out of forgetfulness) I start up a video using a player that is configured for hardware acceleration. Also, though only on occasion, if I shut off, and then later turn on, my monitor while folding.

5. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    Sorry for such a late response, I'm using the latest drivers and running stock everything. My overclocking experiences have never ended well so I don't try to anymore. Im not sure on my client I'll have to check when I get back home. Posting from the ipad away from home ATM. Thanks in advance!

6. iancook221188

GPU:
    could be as sykozis said, have you got SLI on or off? when folding i have it off and turned on for gaming

7. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    I've never thought about turning it off when not gaming. I've always left it on and forgot about it. Did the same thing with the 690's which never had the problem.

I'll definitely try that when I get home later tonight.

Thanks again folks.

Using version 7.3.6

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  8. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    Well I guess Im gonna have to make it a point to remember to turn sli on and off which is annoying but whatever.

Thanks for the advice!

9. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Weird since the SLI being enabled/disabled shouldn't have any effect on folding, at least that's the common situation. However, as a quick test, can you monitor what VRAM usage is when SLI is enabled/disabled and you are folding?

10. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    If you mean system memory its at 3.46gb if I check the performance through the task manager.

If thats not what you meant I apologize Ive never done more with F@H then install, set it and forget it. heheh Well turn it off whenever I wanna play some games as well.

11. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Sorry for not explaining clearly. I didn't mean RAM (Random Access Memory used by the system), rather I meant VRAM (Video Random Access Memory used by the GPU) which you can easily find out from GPU-Z (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/) since this information isn't shown in Task Manager.

My suspicion is that when the amount of VRAM is less than what F@H needs, it throws an error. Considering that in SLI, the VRAM is mirrored, it would seem possible that you may have insufficient VRAM. Do note that Windows and increasing number of applications are using the GPU and so far, there isn't any priority system (or even paging/swapping system) so running out of VRAM is a real possibility when running multiple applications. Moreover, different F@H Projects may use varying amount of VRAM so the situation is tricky.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've found it's just easier to disable SLI for folding on my 660's.....when I have them installed anyway.

13. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    Thanks for the quick explanation.

In sli it says Memory used is 948MB.

And I cant tell you what its like not in sli because after I checked the memory I shut the client down again and this time my driver stopped working for good. Posting this from my laptop. Hopefully I just have to reinstall.

I will just disable sli before I begin folding. EverytimeI mess around with this stuff it never ends well. lol

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  14. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    1 GB out of 3 GB or 6 GB (going from your system information in your profile) does seem higher than normal unless you have other applications running in the background.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with SLI. It has been a very long time since I came across donors having issues with SLI. Generally, SLI being enabled/disabled doesn't effect their system. Not sure why that is. The only similarity between sykozis and your set-up is the Kepler GPUs.

Does changing the driver version have any impact on the issue or not (make sure that you select clean installation)? Was there anything specific that you did after which this error started? Does this error occur if you fold only on GPU 0 and not on GPU 1? What about if you fold only on GPU 1 but not on GPU 0?

15. iancook221188

GPU:
    335.23 is the driver im using for my 780s and when folding the mem usage is 245mb sli disabled though

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If I only ran F@H on 1 GPU, I was fine with SLI enabled. I only had issues when folding on both GPUs with SLI enabled.

17. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    Ive never mess with the settings honestly. Gpu 1 and 2 and the cpu are what shows up on the web control page.

I will look up how to test the settings recommended to try this coming week. My nephews are here for the weekend so its gonna be very little pc time for me.

18. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Don't worry, it is very easy:
    1) Right click the F@H icon in the notification tray
    2) Select "Advanced Control" (do note that you have have Web Control and Advanced Control open at the same time)
    3) Select the GPU slot and right click it
    4) From the menu select "Finish"
    5) Once the WU finishes, it will not download any other WU while the other GPU continues to fold find
    6) If you want to resume folding, right click the GPU Slot
    7) From the menu select "Fold"
    8) GPU starts folding again

Easy as a pie :)

19. giant85

giant85 Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    Glad to realize I'm not the only one who's been facing this problem !

20. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Giving the gpu's a little extra voltage stops this happening,at least it does for me :)