strange problem with 780i mobo, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by domo_sy2001, Dec 20, 2009.

1. domo_sy2001

domo_sy2001 New Member

GPU:
    MSI N285GTX Superpipe OC
    recently i have been having some troubling issues with my machine...

system specs:
    xfx 780i SLI
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 w/Thermaltake True Cooler
    2GB Geil 800Mhz w/OCZ Cooler
    MSI 285GTX Superpipe OC
    Samsung 500GB (Primary)
    WD Caviar Green 1TB (Secondary)
    Nexus Silent Power 600W

2 related issues and outcomes:
    1. sometimes, when i start the machine, my system takes a long time to post. when it does finally post it doesnt detect my primary hdd and thus tries to network boot.
    i have gone into setup on boot and the BIOS does not show my primary hdd as present. (but shows secondary HDD)

2. other times, my onboard post display shows FF (Boot) before evenm posting and wont startup at all. at this point the reset button also has no effect!!

previously my only working fix for this was to remove the CMOS battery for 30mins, re-seat it and start the machine and everything is fine.
    recently this has stopped working.

my last fix was to take everything apart, put it all back together again and the problem was solved... for one evening.

now im back to the first and second outcomes depending on whether i remove the CMOS battery.

I have tested the HDD on my housemates machine and its fine and working.
    I have flashed the BIOS (on working boot) but to no avail.

XFX support have suggested everything i have tried (ie replacing cables, testing HDD, using different SATA port etc)
    but this isnt helping. i think im still within warranty but im loathed to be without a good machine (im writing this on an ancient Dell laptop) in order to send my mobo back to XFX for such a strange issue.

has anyone had the same problem or know of a fix for this?!? :bang:

2. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Are you using Win7..? I have read that the WD Green Caviar and win7 don't pair, something to do with the WD green Caviar and is power-saving features..
    This may not have anything to do with your problem but its worth looking at.. Have you tried another drive with system on it.?

3. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    increase the SATA/ATA detection timeout period.

4. domo_sy2001

domo_sy2001 New Member

GPU:
    MSI N285GTX Superpipe OC
    @Fyew-jit-tiv
    unfortunately im using vista 64bit and cant even get my mobo to detect the hdd. will keep this in mind though as a win 7 migration may be in order soon!

@Squall Leonhart
    i will try this... 2 things, where in BIOS is this option likely to be and how will it be named..? also, i cant get into BIOS to make changes sometimes due to machine being stuck in FF stage of post even before posting.

thanks for help so far

5. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    try powering off. then disconnect the sata cable from the hdd. reseat, then power back on. this is the only method ive found that works for my mb. once a month like clockwork my raid array will no longer boot. so i have to monkey around with disconnecting/reconnecting the sata cables to get it to boot again. you may even try the power cables if the sata reseat doesnt work. verrrry annoying!

6. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896

Chipset / IDE configuration.

7. domo_sy2001

domo_sy2001 New Member

GPU:
    MSI N285GTX Superpipe OC
    @maxfly
    thanks, gave that a try before and it worked. now a no fix option.

just got word from a relative that they can get me some treats for xmas... new i7 setup on the way!