Farcry 3!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Strikerx80, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    AIGHT. Here is a comparison that goes through a ton of different AA combinations. Note that the framerate loss with FXAA is exaggerated by the fact that I go from PostFX low to PostFX ultra, which also enables depth of field and SSAO. I just wanted a simple comparison so I didn't disable those for this... but they can be disabled rather easily.

1080p w/ no anti-aliasing
    1080p w/ 2xMSAA
    1080p w/ 4xMSAA
    1080p w/ 8xMSAA
    1080p w/ 8xMSAA + FXAA (ultra PostFX)
    1080p w/ 8xMSAA + FXAA (ultra PostFX) + alpha to coverage (enhanced)

"Alpha to Coverage" blurs foliage a LOT.... but removes aliasing, so... there you go.

2160p w/ no anti-aliasing
    2160p w/ 2xMSAA
    2160p w/ 4xMSAA
    2160p w/ 2xMSAA + FXAA (ultra PostFX)
    2160p w/ 4xMSAA + FXAA (ultra PostFX)

My FPS is capped at 120 FPS... which is why there is no FPS loss from no AA - 4x MSAA

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Wanny

Wanny Guest

What a difference with downsampling. Everything is just so much more refined. You have to be BLIND to not see the difference.

3. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    "This game has the most inconsistent graphics ever. Sometimes it looks gorgeous then sometimes it looks like a 2005 game"

This game is stunning on my system with DX 11 visuals. But ya really do notice how the lighting due to time of day.... how the visuals shift with the day/night cycle. A nice perk that.

"Distant view is horrible. Well, I mean in comparison to FC2 and even FC1. e..g, climbing the tower and looking around, the distant mountains are all blurry and foggy-ish."

THIS I totally agree with. Ya can`t tell me that the Devs couldn`t get the distance visuals better looking than that foggy mess.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    The most shocking thing, to me, is the aliasing along the drivers seat in the jeep. It doesnt go away until you get to 2160p w/ 4x MSAA + FXAA @_@

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    any consolero nooob to the pc seeing this right now is gonna ..well i dunno what but they're not gonna believe that'spossible with those framerates, well you know what i mean that looks just fab. :)

just to mention i've turned in-game brightness down, seems better for me.

6. Mikanoshi

Mikanoshi Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    NeoEnigma
    Downsampling impact on fps is just huge! :) Jaggies are visible even on 2160p w/ 4xMSAA.
    IMHO simple 2x MSAA + FXAA is the best and FXAA must be always enabled, all other methods fail to remove aliasing in this game.

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    So i finally get a couple hours to play my Steam pre order of this game and i already had it pre downloaded but i keep getting an error saying "an error occurred during update farcry 3 (awaiting install disc)

this is all it does. i rebooted, i checked for validity...wtf. i'm so enraged right now.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
  9. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    2160p is a massive resolution. That was an extreme example of downsampling, of course. With just 2106p and SMAA (via sweetfx in DX9), I'm perfectly content... but not everybody can downsample at that resolution. It would be fantastic if we could use SMAA with DX11....

10. Mikanoshi

Mikanoshi Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    NeoEnigma
    Well, I prefer InjectFXAA anyway, have my own fxaaQuality* values for the best AA with minimum blurring (used and tested in Skyrim) :)
    But I've never seen such good ingame FXAA preset as the one in FC3, so probably injector is not worth it.

11. freeman28

freeman28 Guest

I have a problem running the game on fullscreen. When i play at 1440p the game wont run on fullscreen. Any suggestions?

12. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    Can't use the FXAA injector with DX11 anyway in this game :(

13. captain_trips

captain_trips Guest

GPU:
    2x nvidia TITAN X sli
    OMG, im such a #$%$ idiot...

I had Farcry 2 set to manual AA modes in my NVidia control panel, not Farcry 3

/facepalm

nevermind... it works fine now. Sorry about the ruckus.

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Game just download something through Steam for anyone else?

15. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    How big was the download? If it was about 250mb, it is prolly a patch to bring it up to version 1.02. It is supposed to help with performance and general stability and such.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've been at version 1.02 since the game was released in the US.

17. SliChillax

SliChillax Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    Getting sick of this. Yesterday the game was playing at a solid 60, today the fps is dropping all over the place and I haven't even done anything to the gamerprofile.

18. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Surprisingly enough, I'm getting a consistent 30FPS at 720p with a mixture of low and high. But the requirements for FC3 are still... High?

19. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Thanks for the info.

I got stuck at work again late but had a chance to play the game for a good hour great time. I can tell FC3 has a lot of potential. However, it needs better AA support from ubi or nvidia, someone needs to make it happen. The only way I can get AA to work is from in game settings. And I can see it reduce jagged edges. But if I force it through nvidia control panel or through inspector it doesn't work. From 2xAA - 32xAA, I've tried them all, no luck.
    What I don't understand is why the updated inspector sli AA bits for FC3 won't work for me. The bits got released for a reason right? So I assume they do work. I followed AndyB direction to the T. The only thing I can think of is when I launch the game from the ubi folder, the FC3 d11.exe it launches the ubi game launcher first then I have to select the game from there. Can it be the inspector path to the exe file is never getting reach because the ubi uplay interrupts it?

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    No the Ubisoft launcher then launchers FarCry.exe or FarCry_D3D11.exe so it should reach the proper profile. :)
    (Have you set up the SLI profile correctly? it seems so since you mention those bits but from what I've read even the latest drivers have that issue where FPS drops when you shoot something, I could have misread though.)

Unsure about AA compatibility, I get a pretty massive performance penalty if I switch over to 4x from 2x so I assume the Edge-Detect algorithm I keep enabled (Only takes effect at 4x and 8x AA) is actually working though for never games the performance penalty is too large for it to be all that useful. :)

You could also try to rely on downsampling, might introduce some blur (Or maybe that's been fixed.) but it should sort out all the aliasing depending on how you scale it.
    (1.5x or 2x and higher although higher than that would probably give a pretty severe performance penalty as well.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.