Problem with color settings

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by ReeD, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReeD

ReeD Member

For some reason gamma correction controls do not work for me on Vista Ultimate (8800 GTX + ForceWare 158.18). I created a profile with gamma set to the lowest value. I also created a menu item with a hotkey to select this profile. When entering a game, gamma resets back to the default value. Pressing the hotkey in-game has no effect. However, when I exit the game, the profile I created is still applied (desktop is dark).

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It must be so if an application is doing own gamma control.

It means that the game is blocking standard hotkey mechanisms used by default in RT. Anti hotkey protections of the most of the games can be bypassed by enabling hotkey emulation via low-level keyboard hook (hotkey manager's options are located in the Settings tab).

3. ReeD

ReeD Member

I tried this, no effect. I'm having this problem in two games already.

4. Unwinder

_Which_ games? If it is F.E.A.R. then it is must be so, because it is blocking even low-level keyboard hooking, however you can get it working in case of using alternate hotkey emulation via periodical keyboard scanning.

5. Unwinder

Cough...
    Quick search through the rest of your postings here brought me to the same "color correction not working" problem report made by you in ATT forum for X1900XT in the past. Sorry, but I'm starting to think that the problem is in user's misunderstanding rather than in software.
    I've spent a few minutes on booting under Vista & verifying color correction under both x86 and x64 Vistas. Everything color correction related is working as it is supposed, check your actions and understanding.

6. ReeD

ReeD Member

All right, let's see what I could have done wrong.

I dedicated a completely fresh Vista Ultimate install just to check these two points: gamma correction and refresh rate overriding. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any of them working.

Games I tried: Richard Burns Rally (D3D), GTR2 (D3D), Disciples: Sacred Lands (a great old game, DirectDraw).

This is what I did:

1. Installed Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Fresh, formatted partition.
    2. Disabled all the main default MS stuff I dislike (SuperFetch, Defender, auto updates, System Restore, etc).
    3. Installed ForceWare 158.18 for Vista.
    4. Rebooted.
    5. Installed monitor drivers (ViewSonic P227f, CRT monitor).
    6. Rebooted.
    7. Installed RivaTuner 2.01.
    8. Set it to autostart with Windows via the registry (and made it run in systray).
    9. Turned off vsync for both OpenGL and D3D (Driver Settings section).
    10. Enabled refresh rate overrider in low-level refresh settings section (checkbox checked, blend mode (default)) and set a default refresh rate for all resolutions to 100Hz. The only rule in the list says "all modes @ 100Hz".
    11. Created two color schemes in low level desktop color schemes section. Saved both of them. Tried checking the checkbox to have one of them applied at Windows startup, but got a warning: "You have already enabled driver-level color correction at Windows Startup. It's not recommended to use this option." Odd, because I didn't do that, I haven't even opened NVIDIA Control Panel that comes with the ForceWare package. Anyway, left the checkbox unchecked.
    12. Created two items in the Launcher section - one for each color scheme. Set hotkeys for both of them (CTRL+SHIFT+Num* and CTRL+SHIFT+Num/). Checked that both of these hotkeys apply the right color scheme on the desktop. They do.
    13. Installed the games.
    14. Rebooted.
    15. Launched all three games, one after another. None of them ran @ 100Hz (actually GTR2 did ran @ 100Hz, but only because it has its own refresh rate configuration setting which is set to 100Hz). All of them had the default gamma setting applied upon launch, the hotkeys had no effect in-game. Tried two additional hotkey options in the hotkey manager settings section - no effect at all. Low-level keyboard hook setting doesn't even work correctly on the desktop (works only the first time a hotkey is pressed, all further key presses have no effect).

Now please tell me what I could possibly have done wrong.

Here are my specs in case it helps:

Gigabyte 965P-DS3P, C2D E6420, 2x1GB Corsair DDR2 (matched pair, dual channel), Asus 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3.

Any ideas on solving the issues are welcome.

7. Unwinder

There are multiple refresh override modes available. And they are available not just for fun. The same applies to context help for this option.

Probably it is odd for a user who just migrated to NVIDIA from ATI and not knowing that starting from ForceWare family driver-level color correction is always applied at Windows startup, but not for NV veterans.

Ctrl+Shift+ numpad related hotkeys are often reserved and should be used with caution. Especially in case of low-level emulation, where hotkey crosslinking is not checked (that's mentioned in the context help, by the way). I'd strongly recommend to use different hotkeys.

Do you understand how does the refresh override work, don't you? Do you understand there _must_ be physical display mode change during which refresh override is processed? Do you understand that non-standard refresh rates which cannot be set by graphics subsystem also cannot be set during override?

Read above (Ctrl+Shift+ numpad related hotkeys ...)

8. ReeD

ReeD Member

Context help is unavailable for Vista unless you install outdated components.

In this case the message is misleading since it clearly states that I enabled driver-level color correction. Now is there a way to disable driver-level color correction so that I can safely use RivaTuner's low-level color correction?

For example? I used to use exactly the same hotkeys in the same games with ATT - no problems at all. But I'll try different ones.

The display mode did change (resolution). After checking what refresh rates my card supports I see the max for 640x480 (which one of the games I tested runs at) is 75Hz. That's why I don't get 100Hz here. I would have never thought 8800 doesn't support higher refresh rates at this resolution. I guess the problem with refresh rates is fixed.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  9. ReeD

ReeD Member

Tried CTRL+F12, CTRL+F11, still doesn't work. Tried different hotkey modes as well, didn't help.

If I could make color correction work (and be applied upon Windows startup, see my post above), I would be a (almost) happy man.

One more question, since both RivaTuner and NVIDIA Control Panel operate on the same drivers, are there any conflicts between them?

10. Unwinder

Updated, not outdated ones. WinHelp32 is available as an update for Vista, and both Vista (when you try to use any .hlp file) and RT itself (stated in ReadMe supplied with program) recommend you to install it. Initially excluding it from the distributive was one on the stupidiest steps from MS side.

PowerUser -> Open driver database -> Expand control panel global node -> DisableApplyColorsAtStartup = 1.

[/QUOTE]

You can custimize / expand a list of supported refresh rates manually in the .inf file during driver installation.

11. Unwinder

Try again. I've no ideas what are you doing wrong, probably you're just not used to software after migrating from ATI and doing some simple error. That should work and that is working for millions people, because hetkey based color correction is one of the most frequently used feature and it is avaiaable and has not been changed during at least 5 year.

No

12. ReeD

ReeD Member

Hotkeys work well in desktop. That means I got it set up correctly (unless there's some specific setting for DirectX/OpenGL which I'm overlooking).

It would be nice if someone confirmed this working on the same card and the same OS.

I'll try disabling driver-level color correction like you described. Maybe it will help. There's little hope though.

13. Unwinder

Ugh....
    First, hotkeys are NOT anyway related to graphics card. And I've just spend a few time verifying hotkeys under 8800GTS based PC with both Vista x86 and x64 on all the games I have installed. Everyting is working as supposed in NFS:MS, Quake3, Prey, Scapland etc. I see zero problems with that.
    Once again: you are missing something basic (closing util when running the game, NOT applying hotkey manager settings or something like that. Check your actions step-by-step.

It will not, driver-level color correction is not anyway related to hotkeys.

14. ReeD

ReeD Member

I repeat, hotkeys work in desktop - I can switch my color schemes just fine. This means I have them applied correctly. As soon as I try the same in a game - no effect.
    There are no utils, I'm trying the same on a clean Vista install.

The only thing I could think of is disabling other Vista services.

15. Unwinder

I also repeat that they work for me in both desktop and all the games I've tried under Vista yesterday when hotkey emulation via low-level hook is enabled. The same applies to others using hokeys in RT since the very beginning when they were added to RC10.2 in 2002. If you're thinking that you were the only man who tried to use hotkeys during these 5 years - then you're mistaking.
    I don't know where you doing a logical error. For example, do you realize that you've to click the Apply button after ticking "Emulate hotkeys handler via low-level keyboard hook"? Do you understand that the utility must reside in memory to get hotkeys working? I don't know what else basic thing are you missing. We could play "try to guess" a few days more, and I'm afraid that I'm quitting the thread. Already wasted a half of weekends on installing games under Vista / verifying "not working refresh override", then doing the same for "not working color correction". Enough for me, sorry.

Last edited: May 27, 2007

16. ReeD

ReeD Member

First of all, stop being nervous. I have done averything you're mentioning. Your program is a tiny one - there's not much you can miss in color settings there. Hotkeys do not work for me in games. In desktop they're fine. How many times do I have to repeat the same for you? If they work in desktop, that means the program is memory-resident, and yes, "Emulate hotkeys handler via low-level keyboard hook" is checked.
    This is not available within your program. However, I was able to find this key in the registry under HKLM/Software/NVIDIA Corporation/Global/NVTweak.
    It's not an update!

17. Unwinder

Stop being nervous?
    I've spent whole weekend on testing different stuff under Vista and trying to reproduce your "problem reports". All that ended in seeing that there is just one more user new to RT migrated to NVIDIA from ATI world and refusing to read help and not understanding the settings. Whole day wasted for nothing. Don't you wish to explain my wife why I've wasted this time for your problems instead of going to beach with her?
    Probably I should stop it right after seeing the same postings "refresh override not working" and "color correction not working" made by you in ATT forum. My bad.

Hotkeys are working fine. How many times do I have to repeat the same for you? It is not my problem if you cannot bind a sound to a hotkey to ensure that is is working and you don't feel a difference between "hotkeys are not working" and "gamma override is locked in gamma correction capable applicaiton XXX".

Please don't tell me what is available and what is not in my software, ok? It is absolutely not fun, this setting is available in ForceWare databasess for years. It is as "not available", as refresh override and hotkeys are "not working". If you cannot find it in a "tiny program" - I'm sorry, but it is not my problem.

It IS an official update for Vista KB917607 published on 3/7/2007!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d3f5-4365-8070-334cd175d4bb&displaylang=en&tm

And I've already told you that direct link to it is available in the ReadMe supplied with program. And if you were reading it, I won't need to repeat the same things over and over again.
    Enough wasting the time, thread is closed and I won't address any of your questions until you'll study to read things carefully. It is up to you to choose the strategy of your actions for future - you may either start reading docs or simply remove the tool if that's too complex for you and if you dislike the idea of reading help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.