IF 780 lightning >= SLI 580 lightnings THEN Upgrade? ELSE?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by VolkNasty, Sep 2, 2013.

1. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    Hey folks!

I've got an itch to upgrade to that new shiny 780 lightning. Money really isn't an issue but I know the value of a dollar. I know that both setups are comparable and have similar output. If I were to get the 780 my upgrade path would be set in stone for the next two or more years. I feel that I have gotten great value out of my 580 Sli setup and are still rocking everything great, so upgrading seems a bit unnecessary.
    (PLOT TWIST!) I would also like to upgrade to a 2550 x 1440 monitor, so I also have to factor that in and I don't know if I will be able to max out my games with my current (SLI) setup.
    SO, should I hold out for the great and powerful Maxwell (880 lightning), or should I start down the 780 lightning upgrade path which will eventually lead to a another Lightning SLI setup?
    All other components in my rig are great, I have the processing power, Ram and SSD (I/O) I believe to take full advantage of PCIe 3.0 and all the frothy goodness of the 780 /880 generation.
    i7-3930k OC 4.3ghz
    32gb of ram @ 2133 (I have 4 VMs I need the ram)
    2 Vertex 4 256gb
    MSI x79a-GD65(8d)
    Bunch of HDD raid 5
    Windows 8
    (VM)Windows Server 2012
    (VM)Ubuntu
    (VM)RHEL 6.3
    (VM)BackTrack 5

Thank you for your time!

-Nasty

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I would wait for Maxwell. The performance jump is supposed to be larger than Fermi to Kepler was.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think you should wait for Maxwell, until then upgrade your monitor like you wanted.

Your GTX580's with 1.5GB vram won't be able to push 1440p though...

4. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I'd likely go for the 780 Lightning now + new monitor, lower settings (if needed) and make plans to get the other 780L asap.

Then sit comfortably and see how Maxwell fares out (if it lives up to the hype) and possibly even see how the Maxwell refresh goes.

5. Riffmaster

Riffmaster Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 Lightning Extreme
    If you can control your itch, I suggest you wait for the rumored upcoming next generation AMD cards. They are rumored to be Titan-like in performance while costing several hundreds less. Plus Nvidia is rumored to be countering this with a Titan Ultra or a 790. Or if you can control it further, Maxwell next year is the way to go as the other members have said. If you can't control the itch, then 780L it is. I suggest you wait for the next gen cards by AMD due next month I think and make your decision from then on. Plus the 109% power limit of 780L is limiting its potential. But the supposed 300% power limit bios is in the works, so another plus for a bit of waiting.

A 1440P monitor though would probably require dual card setups if you want to run games on it with max settings and butter smooth fps. Lightnings can do it, but not all games and most certainly the upcoming AAA games.

780 is a really beast of a card, along with its smexy cooler. Lightning extends this further but only in performance. 780L's cooler is somewhat a downgrade from previous generations in my opninion plus I (and some people) don't like the Christmas-like led lightings of it.