Need some advice upgrading

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dan011093, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Dan011093

Dan011093 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 5870/5850 CF
    Hello guys, this time im coming here for some advice.

Im trying to decide between a R9 390X (8 Gb) and a GTX 980... ive read many reviews and seen many benches. The first benches showed the GTX to be faster overall but now im starting to see some benches where they are equal in perf (sometimes the 390x even faster). Why is this?

Id like to know which of the 2 would represent a better future proof purchase, also whichone will deliver better fps overall.

I game at 1080p but going to 1440p isnt entirely discarded, as i stated before i care a lot about future proofness and better overall performance.

Note: Fury nano isnt discarded but atm i may be able to get the GTX 980 at around 450 bucks and the R9 390x at the same price, those extra 50 bucks id be saving from nano (or more) will help me into my future cpu upgrade (planning on going skylake)

Sorry for the bad grammar, im in a kind of hurry.

Thanks in advance!

2. Island

Island Guest

GPU:
    2 EVGA 980Ti ACX 2.0
    If money is an issue and you only will be going with a single card and not (SLi/crossfire as you did say futureproof) I would personally go with the 980. #1 is that the 980 is a great card and good overclocking potential. The biggest reason is that driver support and updates is miles better with NVidia. But looking at your specs u seem to be an ATi man. so you're gonna have to decide

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    980 is faster, most will oc to 1450-1500mhz and then the 390x cant touch it

4. Dan011093

Dan011093 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 5870/5850 CF
    Im really confused atm, because many people say 390x is faster, some others say 980 is faster... Ive seen benchmarks and some put 980 better some others put 390x even better lol.

My main thing right now is, whichone has more raw power? which offer better fps in games? and which is more future proof with dx12 comming around the corner?

Thanks!

5. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

go with 390x its better and faster and have more memory for future games and amd will support it for long time , gtx980 will be downgraded next year in favor to pascal like they did with kepler !!!

6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    980 is dx12.1 compatible, overclocks like a beast, better power efficiency and comes with much better driver support for new titles. Not sure what all the Kepler comments are about, NVIDIA fixed that with the Kepler driver fix.

7. WaqasR

WaqasR Member

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R9 270X
    if you are ATi fan then you should definitely go for 390x . you will be happy. it is paid propaganda against ATi about driver issue . i did face any issue since i went to ATi. Less corruptions, less crashes, long life, and demand less CPU power can be work on core i3.

I am pc gamer since 2001
    first i started with SIS gpu, then Geforce 2, Geforce 4 MX, Geforce, fx 5200, Geforce 6200, Geforce, ATi Xpress 200, ATi Radeon x700, Geforce 6600, Geforce 7900 gs, Geforce, 8500, 8600, Geforce 9600 GT(it served me almost 3 years), Geforce 550 ti(my worst card cause to shift to ATi), Radeon 7770(best decision), and now Radeon 270x

I am very happy with performance and quality of card

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There is no such thing as DirectX 12.1 yet, there is only DirectX 12. DirectX 12 contains different feature sets depending on the card used. It's true that the very latest high end Nvidia's do support a higher feature level than AMD does currently, however the difference for the end user will practically be non-existent. These features won't mean much anyway, with only a slight graphics improvement at a reportedly huge expense of performance. In other words, if a game develop does decide to go out of the way to support it, most people probably still wouldn't be able to use it anyway. This is especially true since you would have to have all the other graphics settings maxed out for enabling it to make any sense.

In the future when cards are even more powerful and the feature level is available for AMD and Nvidia, it may see more use, however it still may be the case that it will go largely unused.

To simplify what I read above, there will likely be no benefit from the support of the higher feature level. The other thing to consider is that although Nvidia does support a higher feature level, it doesn't actually support as high of a level in other areas that could affect performance. These may be made use of due to the console-->PC port/transfer, seeing as consoles are AMD.

I'd say go for the 390X. It is cheaper? Save the money saved, if any, for the new AMD's coming out next year based on the 14 nm process (and sell of your current card when the time comes) :).

9. Dan011093

Dan011093 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 5870/5850 CF
    Thanks for all of you answers!
    Thatguy, the thing is that in my country, that idea of selling and buying anotherone is extremely complicated (its a long story but beleive me thats a really complicated situation, acquiring USD and stuff).
    So, taking that on mind, what wold be more future proof. 390x or 980?

Thanks in advance!

10. LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3080 Master
    There is no dx12.1 as of yet, there is however feature levels.
    12_0 being the basics, 12_1 being rasterization extras.

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I know what feature levels are, still doesn't change what I said. No point in going with old tech when Maxwell offers more and the performance gains from overclocking clearly make it a winner.

12. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    Just my opinion, the 980 or 980 ti is the way to go. With the new Maxwell chipset, they are cooler, overclock like a boss and deliver great all around performance. I cannot speak to the capabilities of the R9 390x as I only know what the reviews say, but from the hands on I have had with the 980 and 980 ti I dont think you will be upgrading for some time.

As far as SLI goes as a future proof, depending on the games you play and their support for SLI will depend on if this option is even worth considering. I am hoping that by the time you need to upgrade from the 980/390 multi GPU capability will be a gaming standard.