1080P colours washed out with 17.4.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by DayGlow, Apr 21, 2017.

1. DayGlow

DayGlow Member

GPU:
    X2 Winforce R9 290x
    I run a r290x crossfire setup with a Sony x700d 4k TV.

Since I updated to the Windows 10 Creators Update and 17.4.3 1080p resolution in games is washed out. Switching back and forth between 4k and 1080p in game shows the difference in colour.

I've double checked my TV and it's set to full HDMI input and the settings don't change when the inputted resolution changes.

The only thing that has changed is the drivers. Is there a way to force full colour range from the AMD settings? I've searched through their settings and can't find anything.

2. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    Is this similar to what you're experiencing?
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=413780

3. DayGlow

DayGlow Member

GPU:
    X2 Winforce R9 290x
    Similar, but I don't have to fix it when I alt tab out. It goes back to a full colour range on alt tab. Desktop 1080p is fine colour wise, just in a game I get the washout effect. Switching to 4k in game gets rid of it, etc.

4. DayGlow

DayGlow Member

GPU:
    X2 Winforce R9 290x
    still broken in 17.4.4

5. DayGlow

DayGlow Member

GPU:
    X2 Winforce R9 290x
    Fixed it.

changed my desktop to 1080P and found that W10 was turning on HDR. The display is HDR, but obviously the 290x cannot do HDR so it was washing out the colour.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    HDR support is in since 16.12.1, but it was the Creators Update that baked it into Windows.

The interesting bit about this is that AMD seems to have artificially limited it to "(8) Compatible with desktop AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury series, R9 380, R9 390 series, and Radeon RX 400 series products with Windows® 7/8.1/10. Requires an HDR capable display and game content."

The 300 series have the same chip and driver as yours. What I imagine happening here is that Windows detect the GPU as HDR-capable (because the low level driver is the same as the 300 series Hawaii), but the "higher" level of the driver won't support it properly, hence the bad color. Twitter-complain to them, it worked with VSR and the 7900 series.