The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    ????? More work!, its 3 seconds to type in the OC amount and a second each to move the sliders. I s**t you not its literally a few seconds 'work'.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Stock boost on my EVGA GTX 1080Ti is 1911MHz, tried yesterday to OC and at moment running 2050MHz and 350MHz extra on VRAM, will do extra tests and push card higher but right now very happy

Temps idle sits at 24-25°C and load 30-32°C in WD2, didn't used EK supplied paste, used rather NT-H1

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Thanks, I really don't want to buy 3dmark to get timespy so is there any free benchmark software I could use? I do have wildlands and it has a great benchmark but not sure if it would push to max.

4. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    @ Darren Hodgson,
    I've only seen photos of the EVGA cards, can I get your thoughts on the vented shroud. Any idea if it helps with cooling?
    Thanks,

5. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    I also see 3DMark listed here for download,,,thought that was payware only?

6. Nvidia666

Nvidia666 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Nobody ?

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Not sure, on GTX1080 you can try STRIX BIOS which does have higher voltage limit I think 1.2v and no TDP limit

Most of the Ti GPU are limited by 1.093v or unless someone or some company will release unlocked BIOS which have higher voltage and no TDP limit like has been STRIX BIOS on GTX1080

Check Techpowerup and their VBIOS database if there is better VBIOS which do have higher TDP limit and higher voltage and you can try crossflash

But still without the Pascal BIOS tweaker we are limited what we can do, you can try do shunt mode

Check over on Techpowerup what TDP yours card have maybe you are limited by TDP

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hi Icanium,

I've been testing a good number of games over the past four days since getting my GTX 1080 Ti SC2 on Tuesday, including Sniper Elite 4, Thief, Outlast 2, WATCH_DOGS, The Crew, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, etc, and I've been really impressed with it even in comparison to the previous beast that was the GTX 1080 FTW.

For starters, every game I've tested bar one (Mass Andromeda) has held 60 fps throughout and that's with some bumped up to 4K (e.g. Sniper Elite 4, MGSV: The Phantom Pain, Outlast 2) and with SSAA enabled (Thief!). I've tested WATCH_DOGS with TXAAx4 with everything maxed at 2560x1440 and the framerate never dipped. Sure, some of those games are over a year old now but even my GTX 1080 I was unable to run them at 4K or with SSAA without dropping some settings to maintain 60 fps. Impressive stuff.

The card also seems to overclock well... it's pre-overclocked already to a core of 1,557 MHz and out of the box my card boosted to 1,911 MHz. However, I had been playing games at +100 on the core and +400 on the memory (effectively 11.8 GHz) which resulted in the card boosting to exactly 2,000 MHz in many games and staying there until the temperature rose above 71 C at which point it briefly drops to 1,987 MHz. That's not far off the 2,038 MHz of my GTX 1080 FTW. I have now bumped the memory up to +500 to give 12 GHz effective and it was 100% stable while playing Thief for a couple of hours this afternoon.

The highest temperature I've seen on the card was 77 C very briefly while running 3DMark or Unigine Heaven 4.0 with uncapped framerates. During games the highest I saw was 75 C for a brief time but most games at maxed out 2560x1440 or 4K settings tend to run between 67 and 73 C. That might seem a bit disappointing after the 70 C maximum temperatures I was seeing on my GTX 1080 FTW but you have to remember this is a more powerful card with higher performance.

As for fan noise, well the fan speed was generally below 60% (and is off at idle until the card reaches 60 C) and so it was never an issue. However, my tower case is on the floor on a carpet so generally fan noise isn't a problem anyway during gaming.

Seems like a really good card for the price. Yes, it's expensive but this card cost me £706.91, which is less than £7 more than the Founder's Edition card and this runs much cooler and quieter than that card from the reviews I've read. I'm sure the FTW3 will be an even better card though.

One thing I do really like about the SC2 (and FTW3) is the addition of three LEDs on the side of the card above the RGB lettering that indicates the state of the GPU, Power and (I think) VRAM: blue for cool, green for normal and red for hot (thankfully I haven't seen the latter!). For example, at idle right now all three lights are blue. You can use EVGA Precision X OC to check the temperature of nine components on the board too.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  9. Nvidia666

Nvidia666 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    1080 bios ? will that work on 1080 Ti ?
    I'm TDP and voltage limited because there is a lot of temp headroom so normal i can pump the voltage easily to 1.2 .
    I want you go higher then the common ~2050 Mhz :)

10. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    Highly doubt it would work...but you can always take the risk of flashing...
    1.2v on Ti would definitely burn the power circuit these cards are consuming a lot of current even undervolted in ~2100 region 350+W. My circuit burned literally @2088/1.043v while Gaming with a very cool GPU core temperature...
    Anyway the difference between good OC'er and golden is usually two or three straps from 13mhz i have lots of benchmarks and all of them show less than 2% difference going onwards from 2050Mhz ... Here's a comparison on my system Asus Strix 2076/11800 vs MSI GamingX 2126/12000 ... a huuuuge 1.3% FPS game tests difference:wanker:

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Exactly, people need to understand this, that past a certain core speed, real world performance will actually drop. If you monitor the power limit during games or benching you will notice that when the 120% power limit is hit, the core will throttle, irrespective of the amount you have overclocked the core.

12. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Hey quick question for you guys, can someone who has a 6700k or 7700k and a GTX 1080Ti that are both overclocked, hook up a watt meter and give me an idea of how much wattage it pulls while gaming?

I'm trying to do a build where the PSU stays silent and corsairs 1000W PSU can do 400W without the fan turning on and the 1200W PSU can do 480W.

Need the power results of a system like what i listed above to know if this is possible or not.

13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    First question, why?
    Unless you are watercooled then the 1080Ti will be the noisiest component in the system anyway, you'll never hear the PSU fan.

I use a Corsair 850 and its silent running a watercooled and OCed 2700k/1080Ti setup plus
    Seven 120mm
    Two x 92mm
    One x 140mm drawing on the system plus a few peripherals.

14. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    I'm planning to either water cool everything from the start, or upgrade to water cooled graphics card when i can afford it (depends on how far the total water cooled system pushes my $3000 AUD budget)

Basically trying to build the most silent PC i possibly can

*Edit* also there is a 520W SilverStone PSU that is completely fanless which might be an option as well, i just need to know the power usage of a 7700k and GTX 1080Ti overclocked to know how close it would be to know if that would be safe or not.

15. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Yep, know its gonna be tight, which is why I'm asking here before i go and blow all the money on a 1200W PSU or even worse get the 520W fanless PSU and find out its not enough.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Even if you watercool everything, the PSU fan will not be the noisiest part of your rig. To cool both a 7700 and a 1080Ti under full load you will need at least a 120.3 radiator, so thats three fans combined with two or three for the case and a pump along the lines of a D5, a PSU will be the least noisy component anyway, even if all the fans are set to minimum.

17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Mine pretty much hits the 330W limit from MSI instantly when launching a game/benchmark. I've seen my entire system pull something like 600-650W in Corsair Link when I launched prime95 + witcher 3 at the same time. :eek:

Also - be wary if you guys have a multi-rail PSU and want to buy a 1080 Ti - to use 2 separate pcie cables to power the card, instead of just 1 dual 6+2 pin pcie cable. I had to learn this the hard way with Mass Effect Andromeda, where the PC would instantly restart when launching the game due to it exceeding well over 300W on a 12V rail... 1080 Ti is WAAAY more power hungry than my 1070, that's for sure.

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I might be wrong but haven't the better spec Corsair PSUs been single beefy rail for a while.

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    My RM1000i comes with multi-rail as default, I can enable single trough Corsair Link, but that also disables OCP, so I went with the 2 cables solution instead. :O

20. Nvidia666

Nvidia666 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Ok seems clear :)
    Better no do 1.2 volt on this thing then :)
    Its right that after start a decent game direct hits the 330/340 watt region.
    I do not know he consumes so much on that voltage.

Next question :

I see a Zotac amp extreme is extreme highly out of the box clocked.
    Is it possible that the core voltage is bit higher then a common card like Gaming X ?

Would it help pump my voltage higher ?
    Also is it possible to flash that bios on my Gaming X ?

Thx

21. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    if u plan to oc a 7700k and running 1080ti, 520w seems to be on the short side, whilde the 7700k doesnt really go above 70 watts while gaming, if u add all the fans, drives and 1080ti, i think its to close, i dont think your system will be stable, and ull be limited on your overclock on the cpu and gpu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.