Can I overclock my inspiron 1720 dell laptop?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by firefergy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. firefergy

firefergy New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8600m gt
    title says it all is it possible. and if so please direct me to a guide.

Thanks

CPU intel mobile core 2 duo T7100 1.8 ghz
    2 gigs of ram
    Geforce 8600m gt

2. TakeDollaforLOL

TakeDollaforLOL Banned

GPU:
    8600mGT 256mb
    that what i want to know

3. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Yes, you can. As soon as you can mount some decent cooling inside the laptop, no problem.

First, mount a NH-D14 in the laptop, you have to drill a couple of holes into the casing, but that shouldn't be a problem. You can also try a decent watercooling setup. You just have to drill a couple of holes to let the tubing through. And don't forget to ducktape the res and pump at the side of the laptop, together with some cold cathodes it would look smashing. I recommend the red colored ones, makes the uber overclocked laptop look very cool :)

Edit: in short, yes you can. Google setfsb or cputweaker. Just be aware that a laptop is not made to put away the temperatures you're likely going to develop by overclocking the cpu or / and gpu.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. TakeDollaforLOL

TakeDollaforLOL Banned

GPU:
    8600mGT 256mb
    lol slight sarcasm but thanks

probs wont mess around with cpu

5. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Depends on the PLL(clock generator) chip model. The only way to find out the model num is by taking it apart and finding the chip on the motherboard, then you go to the setFSB website and see if its supported, ect.

On my old acer 2480, I had a celeron 440m(i think? 1.8 single core.) and was able to overclock it to about 2.1-2.2Ghz stable within 70c temps.

I upgraded to a T1350(1.8 core solo single core), and was able to overclock that to 2.3Ghz stable under 70c load.
    after that I replaced the motherboard to one with a new chipset and got a dual core T5800, that was able to overclock to 2.15Ghz stable(maximum clock that setFSB would do).

However, my current laptop alienware M5550 with that T5800, the PLL is supported but the chipset/motherboard itself has some weird setup which does not allow the clock to be changed.

As far as the graphics card, any Nvidia or ATI graphic card can be overclocked easily with a laptop, using a utility either nvidia performance, rivatuner, or msi afterburner.

My current M5550 w/ 9650m GT and overclocked still rarely exceeds 70c while gaming with new thermal paste(ic7 diamond stuff) though I leave it stock or under-clocked most of the time.

You should watch what you joke about, I have fully internally water cooled a laptop before. :D

Also I forget his name, but another guy on this forum did it also(with external rad).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  6. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Hahahaha, you're serious? Never heard about that! How cool :)

I overclocked my cpu and gpu in my macbook pro. Cost me one fan, which quited after doing some overnight video conversions. I do not recommend it.

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Dont do it... laptops already run really hot, the last thing you need is to make it get even hotter. For what? A few hundred mhz? Not worth it man.

8. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    If you have a proper temperature monitoring program there is no problem as long as you keep it under 80c.
    Most laptops can benefit from good thermal paste(such as arctic cooling, ic 7 diamond) and keep temps down.

with my experience overclocking laptops it depends on how much faster you can get, and what you use it for.
    If you game a lot, then the overclock will help things but for daily use its just too time consuming to find out how to overclock to make it worth while.

9. 3xplorer

3xplorer Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 8600M GT
    Bring your old Dell 1720 Back to life

Hi, Good day.

I bought my Inspiron 1720 in November 2007 and have been using it constantly all the time. During that time I upgraded the Ram to 2x2GB SODIMM's - I actually got the 800MHz RAM even though the Motherboard only runs it at 667Mhz because the faster ram was cheaper! (Damn DDR2 memory is going out of fashion because DDR3 took over a few years ago)

Current setup

CPU - Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz) (2.4GHz with IDA, more later)
    Ram - 2 x 2GB PC2-6400
    Graphics - NVidia GeForce 8600M GT (Overclocked - more later)
    OS - Windows 7 sp1 64 Bit
    HDD1 - 128GB SSD SATA3 6GB/s Crucial/Micron (1720 only uses SATA1)
    HDD2 - 500GB 5400rpm SATA1 1.5GB/s Samsung (Storage)
    Screen - 17" 1920x1200
    (the main reason I have kept this laptop for so long is all the pixel real estate, and the two HDD Bays)

Basically I have been using this computer solidly, almost every day for almost 7 years! Gaming, Uni, Rendering, Design work, It has been working hard. Recently I stripped it down, took a tooth brush to it to get rid of dust, cleaned old, dried heat-paste and applied brand new ( even opened up video card and put on the GPU and GPU Memory chips) as the reason they get slower is thermal degradation from dried heat-paste)

Recently the battery started giving issues (as one would expect) but something Dell does not tell you is they use frequency scaling set in the BIOS that you cannot change and my 2.2GHz Processor was now limited to 600MHz! - I was on the verge of buying a new Laptop until I came across this forum here. http://techmonks.net/bypassing-the-dell-unrecognized-adapter-issue/

Anyway, after downloading RMClock 2.35, which you need a special RTCore64.sys for it to pick up the digital signature fro Windows 7 64 bit (I can find the link if anyone wants) Then you can use the RMClock to set multiple different setting and override those slow setting. Infact I was in the process of reading through this and I came across an undervolting guide for the T7500 that was using RMClock which reduces the core temperature by as much as 15*, which means later we can overclock the graphics card tremendously (more than 100% Increase in graphics performance according to 3D Mark 2006) - Undervolting guide I am referring to is here -

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/276661-advanced-rmclock-powersaving-whining-stop.html

It is quite long winded, but worth noting that you need two states, Super LFM and Normal 11x but at a lower voltage of 1,025V instead of 1,2125V

This allows you to install ANOTHER Program, I use PowerStrip 3.90 which works in Windows 7 64Bit and then I overclocked it incrementally until I got the results I wanted.

Below is a screenshot showing a lot of different information, You can see from the scores and benchmarks that This PC is still running FAST, very fast.
    Infact, those Windows Experience Index scores are higher than most computers you get now a days

Any more information, just ask!

[​IMG]