Should I leave Vista and why?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by NomadAssassin, Nov 17, 2014.

1. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Any reason to leave Vista behind? I'm really considering the new Win10 but don't know if it's worth it. Should mention I just got brand new gaming machine and I'm afraid that some older games wont run on it as I had compatibility problems on Windows 7 some time ago with different machine. I have A LOT of games and I care for each xD Oh oh I have DX12 card right now. It wont work on Vista correct? I mean the DX12 features in the future games. Right?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yes.

The question is "why should you not"

DirectX / Bugs / Bugs / More bugs / Performance / More bugs

You should leave Vista for the same reasons Microsoft left it

3. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Idk it worked perfectly for years now. I wouldn't even think of changing it if it wasn't for these DX11.1/DX11.2-12 stuff I hear.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Vista is a buggy and worse step to XP. yes we needed it to get to 7 but it was terrible - you should try 7 and see if you ever want to set eyes on Vista again, even 7 is getting long in the tooth now, but definitely still a great and solid OS

EDIT - Even 7 is losing support for DX, personally Id go for 8.1 and add a start menu

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

5. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Dude I was using Windows 7 for like half year. I know the OS no need to explain. Didn't like it or at best wasn't something different from Vista SP2 other than the girl interface. But this new Widnows 10, I might be wrong here but it looks fantastic. So I was wondering if you or anyone know more.
    Other than that my advice is YOU should actually try Vista if you have spare PC hahah :D Vista being buggy and bad is a myth. With all these Service Packs and updates it is SOLID. But it is also old now and every day new things come. I don't think they will make any more software that supports Vista soon :/

6. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Yeah I hear you about 8.1. This another dilemma of mine. W10 looks nice but 8.1 might be more refined hmmm damn it. Difficult choices.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Mate, I used Vista for a year, the worst year of my computing life, well, if you love Vista so much, I don't see the point of your thread, keep with it, enjoy ;)

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Why not dual boot, test them yourself, no point asking if you're set on Vista

9. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Stupid question but is there something like demo versions of 8.1? And some beta of 10 or whatever it is. I know there is about year of development but it would be nice if there is a demo of it too.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, there is a 90 day trial of 8.1, and a tech demo of 10 on this forum in the operating systems forum

Just google for 90 day 8.1 trial if you want to try that - Id go for 8.1, 10 is far from ready

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Vista was OK after SP1 but it still doesn't compare to Win7. I can't speak to how Win8.1 works on desktops since I haven't made that upgrade yet. I'm just going to use 7 until Win10 comes out.

12. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Vista was fine after SP1, yet for me less compatible to games than 7, and 7 was less of a resource hog. 8.1 now is even more lightweight and fast, though it needs to get used to. Windows 10 is coming along nicely, I'm watching the techdemo evolve in a virtual machine, looks like a keeper.

13. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    im currently seeing how windows 10 feels installed on my SSD as an everyday OS

it's actually quite smooth and stable and apart from sweetfx refusing to work no matter what but games feel better and in most cases more fps which is nice

no matter what programs i try they seem to work, 1 or 2 programs the OS auto applies compatibility settings if needed and they too then work fine

if i had to choose an OS to stick it would be windows 7 and coming a really close second place is windows 8.1 with a start menu, whatever you choose to do or OS to try everything after vista is a huge step in performance and usability

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The question is why do you still have it?!

On topic now, Vista for me worked pretty good SP1 and after, and Vista still shows some performance still. The only reason I would think of is support and updates, which Vista does not receive any updates unless you purchase extended support which ends April 2017. For reference, Windows 7 support ends January 2015 and the extended support ends January 2020.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Performance wise now there isn't too much of a difference when comparing Windows Vista to Windows 7. Since there isn't too much difference from 7 to 8.1, we're just going to assume the same results will be Windows Vista vs Windows 8.1 as well.

In most cases performance is the same going from Vista to 7/8.1. There are some where Vista has a very small boost, there are some where 7/8.1 is going to have a very small boost. Performance is not the issue when upgrading here.
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2507&page=4

Your issue is going to be the lack of support. New technologies that come out that 7 and 8.1 supports may not support Vista. Vista I don't believe handles USB3.0 natively for example. The big names such as Nvidia or AMD may not support Vista anymore, so Nvidia may have new standards that only support 7 and up, and AMD may have new extensions that their new CPU's may have that the NT kernel is 7 and up will only support.

In this case there is not a whole lot of that going on so I say don't worry too much about it. But, just be prepared to go to a different OS in the future for support. Try out Windows 8.1, you can get a 90 day trial. The Windows 10 preview is also available and is stable as well. That's good until Windows 10 is released.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'd skip Win8.1 at this point and just hold off until Win10, unless it's actually been confirmed that Win10 will be a free upgrade from Win8.1. The latest updates for 8.1 are causing me some issues. I've got a tablet, laptop and desktop all running Win8.1 that became noticeably slower after installing the latest updates.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol. That was true for maybe the first six months, and that was only because of crappy driver support from hardware manufacturers given the kernel was heavily revamped.

There is almost no difference between Vista SP2 and Windows 7 SP1. This is a fact. Vista even supports DX11.

17. WoenK

WoenK Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Win7 is just a castrated Vista. Problem was that most machines where struggling to handle it when it came out and MS informations on "should work fine" where based on Win 3.11 User experience....
    Most system files on Win7 even had (or still have) the same creation date as the Vista files, they just bumped up the version number. Strangely even in Win10 some drivers are dated 2006

Vista was the first MS OS I really liked, first that gave me really a feel of multitasking again after I stopped using my Amiga.
    Win 8.1 is something one can get used to, feels a bit faster than Win7.
    Win 10 feels also another bit faster, but as allways, those "bits" are subtle. All-in-all it just feels faster but does not look really modern, looks all way too flat. That Win+Tab scrolling though the apps is gone.
    Win10 does offer multiple desktops to use though, but somehow I never needed them on Unix either.
    And on the bad side, at the moment they are using both the classic control panel and charms side-by-side. Really annoying, because a lot of option can not be handled via charms and some few only... and they allways open in a full window...

Also, it's a tech review right now and has quite a few bugs (spent last day trying to find out why I suddenly got an allways hanging explorer window...did not find out, but a restart fixed it, which is annoying, because I want to know what was wrong)

If you can wait, Win10 is scheduled for next spring. If you got some place to spare, try the tech preview out.

18. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    have you updated the preview build to 9860 or 9879 or are you running 9841? the latest previews have lots of fixes and a some UI changes and it definitely coming along nicely

19. WoenK

WoenK Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I have the latest update they provided me, the 9860.
    As for the UI, I did not notice any changes at all and I think I am at the 3rd update.
    The icons simply look way to flat and poor....suitable for tablets and netbooks, but not something that looks pleasing on a desktop with a 46" telly connected.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The average user doesn't have a 46" display....they have 15-23". MS is only concerned about how the UI looks on the most common display sizes.