XFX 7970 Ghz and Sapphire 7970 Ghz Vapor-X

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by VoltagemMX, Jan 18, 2015.

1. VoltagemMX

VoltagemMX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970 Ghz r9 280x CF
    Hello,

So as the title says I have an XFX 7970 Ghz and I want to pair it with a Sapphire 7970 Ghz Vapor-X. Do these cards work good together in CF? My mobo is the Asrock z77 extreme 6. I think itvshould have enough space between the pcie slots that the cards are not to cramped together, but please share your thoughts. And not to open another thread, because I need to change my PSU which one do you recommend? I'm looking at the Corsair RM series 1000W and the XFX PRO 850W Black edition. Both PSU's are gold rated. Thank you for your oppinions!

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Yes they should work just fine.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As CalculuS said, the cards should work fine together. Just remember that the card on top will run hotter.

As for the PSU, I'd go for the Corsair.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They will work fine together. But!

Instead of spending money on the Vapor-X (great cards btw), sell your current 7970 and use the cash to get a 970. Or just stick it out with your current XFX 7970 and wait for new offerings from both nvidia and AMD. Buying a 2nd 7970 to CFX at this time is a waste of money.

About the PSU, both are good units, you really don't need a 1k PSU to run 7970 CFX and I can tell you from my experience that XFX PRO Black PSUs are great, so buy whatever you can find cheaper.

If I was you, I'd wait for new gpus to be released, then I'd decide whether to go red or green. I'd suggest you go single gpu though, regardless of which side you choose.

5. VoltagemMX

VoltagemMX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970 Ghz r9 280x CF
    Thank you for your answers. Regarding the CF I'm gonna buy the 7970 vapor-x used for 150€ but it still has one year of varanty. Same goes for the PSU. Both used and still in varanty. The corsair for 110€ and XFX for 130€.

6. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    That's a good deal. I would go for the corsair.
    As for your videocards, keep in mind that the fastest one should be set at the speeds of the slowest card.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Its better the other way around. :)

8. VoltagemMX

VoltagemMX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970 Ghz r9 280x CF
    I thought that the faster one automaticly clocks down to the slower. But I think it would be okay because the XFX runs at 1050 mhz and the vapor-x at 1000 and 1050 turbo.

9. VoltagemMX

VoltagemMX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970 Ghz r9 280x CF
    So hello again guys,

At the end I crossfired my XFX 7970 ghz edition with a Gigabyte 280x. My PSU is a Be quite powerzone 1000W. But I have some problems. Most games are running flawlesy but some games are crashing when I have CF enabled. These are AC unity, Dying Light and Ryse Sone of Rome. May I add that those three were pirated versions I just wanted to try them to benchmark my CF. So is this normal? Because I've read that some can play for example Dyng light with CF enabled but have bad performance and flickering. But as I said my game crashes. Any advice? Thank you!

10. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Weird CF combination you have there. Acu:still beta,never will be good. DL: I guess still have problems with Amd hw (say fuuu nvidia). What games work with that weirdo combi you have?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Did you use the costum crossfire profiles in CCC for those games?

12. VoltagemMX

VoltagemMX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970 Ghz r9 280x CF
    I think its not such a bad CF. The 280X is basicaly a rebranded 7970 ghz so they should work together with no problems in theory. I can play all crysis games no problem, battlefield 4, chivlary medevial warfare, primal carnage extinction, mortal kombat komplete edition, Aliens vs predator (2010), aliens colonial marines, dead island all without any problems. No I did not use a custom profile.

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Definitively do try. If that doesn't work try fiddling around with the crossfire mode option.

14. VoltagemMX

VoltagemMX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970 Ghz r9 280x CF
    Update,

I also tried Shadow of Mordor with the profile for the game and it also crashes in the same manor as AC Unity and Dying Light and Ryse. I get close programs to prevent information loss. Your computer is low on memory save your files and close the program and it refers to the game. I also get dwm.exe application error. The instruction at 0xf19cd77 referenced ... bla bla the memory could not be read. Click ok to terminate the program. AS I said im using the profile for the game in CCC.

15. VoltagemMX

VoltagemMX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970 Ghz r9 280x CF
    It seems that I solved the problem. It wasnt the crossfire itself but settings in windows. At least shadow of mordor is now working without problems. I will also try other games and report back.