Image quality in HDTV for games

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Rangoon, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    I'm going back and forth between a 22" LCD for the nimbler resolution, 24" LCD, and something like a 42" HDTV.

I'm seriously considering the Gateway FHD2400 because I've heard great things about it, including its image quality. Those of you using HDTV, is the image quality on those big screens good for gaming compared to the nicer, smaller LCDs out there?

2. adam watts

adam watts Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    I'm using a 32inch LCD TV with my computer connected to it via DVI-HDMI. The picture quality through the HDMI at my native resolution is wonderful. Couldn't have asked for a better monitor, since the resolution is only 1366x768, I have a secondary 17inch LCD.

3. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    as long as the big hdtv has a good pc native resolution then yea itll look really nice. hell even on my older sony 50" rp lcd
    at 1158x568 (i think thats what it is) looks freaking nice. so just make sure the pc resolution is as high as possible if youre gonna get a tv for use as a monitor.

4. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i run my 42'' lg 1080p though my pc @ 1920*1080 and its my full time monitor now as its great quality

i even have a extremely **** dvi-hdmi cable at the moment as i waiting for a gfx card with a hdmi out before i get a good lead and this **** lead does a wicked job

5. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I imagine that the quality is wide ranging on different TV's at 42". Is this plasma or LCD? What company?(probably most important) What res?

6. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    Thanks for the comments.

UnclePappi, I'm not entirely sure which manufacturer. Still looking through the HDTV options. I've heard that I should NOT go with plasma. Would you agree?

And I'm definitely looking at 1920x1080 resolution.

7. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    The image quality on my Sony Bravia looks fantastic. I just wish it had a higher resolution than 1280x768 through VGA :\

Plasma is great for normal TV, but if you definitely intend on using it for PC or gaming, go with LCD.

8. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    1152x864, hmm that's pretty small.

I thought if you were gaming the bigger the resolution the better the IQ?

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    At Rangoon, Zeppo is right, plasma is more for cable/movies and LCD is better for games/PC use. Reason is plasmas have burn-in and they give off a softer image.

@Postalisback, yeah, for games the higher the res the better the IQ. Mostly just due to being able to see more and being sharper also. I think anything around 1000 lines of vertical resolution or higher is enough though really. The more the better though of course.

The good thing about the smaller LCD's is the pixel size. Big HDTV's you have to keep your distance because of the huge pixels. You almost have to use 4xAA or higher on every game because where the pixel ends is where the jaggie starts. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  10. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    Thanks for the replies. That's a big help.

I'd like to have the option with HDTV to 'overwhelm' myself with screen - but it's true that I don't want to get in so close that I can see those pixels.

I'm going back and forth between a nice 24" and HDTV of 32-42".

11. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    obviously you cant change the native resolution on a display. pc input is NOT the same as regular input. and as this is not on my gaming rig, yes i game at 1900x1200.

12. 93LT1

93LT1 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 260
    I have a 40" samsung (4066 I think) LCD. I havnt tried games on it yet but the 360 at 1080p looks nice sitting about 10' away.