GTX 460: DVI to HDMI TV doesn't detect TV

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Srdax, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Srdax

Srdax Member

GPU:
    GTX 460
    Hello.
    I'm really lost at this one. Being on Gigabyte tech support phone and email and had the card replaced once. But the issue persists.
    Few weeks back I had GTX270 on the very same Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a BenQ 2412HD connected via DVI and a Sony Bravia TV via DVI>HDMI (TV's HDMI). It all worked just fine. Then the 270 died. Changed for a 5750HD and all started to not work. When plugged the TV as I did before with the previous card, TV wasn't detected. After a few changes of drivers, searching for online solutions, etc, I got tired and went to return the VGA. So instead of an ATI I've got this GTX460. Same procedures, same fail. No TV. Latest drivers (260.99), new cables (golden, Samsung and other know brand can't remember now), etc. No TV. So I just plugged the TV on the monitor connector, and there it was, the TV was working, so cables ruled out. Connected the monitor (PC turned off) and when restarted, no monitor but just TV. Tried HDMI connection with monitor and TV but that didn't work either. Tired of that, went to the store and got the card changed considering that maybe the ports were bad due to TV and Monitor only working on the DVI 1 port (the one next to the motherboard). New card, same issue, TV not being detected on the DVI 2 port nor the HDMI port. New drivers, old drivers (the ones that can only use are 2xx, 19x don't work)
    I'm really lost here. Windows "screen resolution" setting (left click on desktop) does say "another display not detected on GTX460" but settings on that are grayed out. On nVidia control panel I try to set up multiple monitors but TV is not detected, upon Rigorous display detection it does nothing, the Force television detection option becomes grayed out so that doesn't work either, I can't force detection on restart because I can't click on it.
    These are my specs:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
    i7 930 on a P6T SE
    6Gb ram (Kingston)
    Drivers: 260.99

I really don't know what else to do.
    Thanks for any help.

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Might be some setting in your TV... try labeling that hdmi port on the tv to PC... another thing, go to multiple displays in the nvidia control panel and then click detect displays...

if this doesn't work we can try some other things,

good luck m8 :)

3. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Check it out, I think this will be what's wrong.

The 460 should be compliant... But there are some issues with dual monitors as far as I can tell.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. Srdax

Srdax Member

GPU:
    GTX 460
    Well I tried a lot of configurations and things. TV has several modes (one for each connection type), for instance, digital TV (provider's decoder) is AV1; then has 3 HDMI ports with its each mode, I've connected the cable in the 3, checked on the 3 modes with no results; also, there's no setting available in the TV to "recognize" connection type or refresh rate nor display resolution; I've connected to this very TV 2 cards before (9800 and 270) and always auto detected without doing anything. In fact, when I connected just the TV, without the monitor, it worked fine, that's when I ruled out faulty cables.
    I've checked the HDCP and it's enabled (auto):
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the other settings won't let me force detect or change settings.

Tech support from Gigabyte sent me a nice graphic on how to connect cables to TV/monitor, something that, well, I've explained well that wasn't the matter:
    [​IMG]
    By the way, of course I've been searching a lot about this and found a lot of people with the same issue but no fix; some tells to disable Realtek audio and let nVidia audio work so I uninstalled Realtek but with the same result. Are the VGA audio is on the VGA itself? How's that better than Realtek ones?
    Thanks for the help.

5. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I think I know what it is :)

It's the resolution, ok try loading windows in rez mode, press f8 after bios, then select startup in 640 x 480 resoltion mode, once it detects it, then you can adjust resoltion for each display...

Hope this works...

6. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I presume you've tried with the different devices switched on/off on boot?

7. Srdax

Srdax Member

GPU:
    GTX 460
    @RagDoll: just tried that, didn't work.
    @Pzykitk: If you mean TV on/off upon restarting, yes. Same with monitor.

8. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    He means in the BIOS, ok tap delete as soon as you switch your computer on... then there should be somewhere enable/disable either onboard displays, or some kind of display settings, fiddle around with that and a setting might work...:)

ON, lol sorry bout that...

9. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I'm a bit lost. Are you using a mini HDMI to HDMI cable (as show on the picture) or are you using the second DVI connector with a DVI2HDMI adaptor? (as described in your first post)
    I guess you tried both right?

edit: have your tried to unplug/plug again the TV with the PC ON?
    Can you also send the picture of the Physx tab. Because available DVI/HDMI ports are shown there (in white if enabled/available in grey if not available.)

10. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Also, can you try with two monitors (instead of a monitor and a tv)?

11. Srdax

Srdax Member

GPU:
    GTX 460
    Oh. Yes, BIOS settings. There's no onboard graphic here. I did try disabling onboard Realtek audio, with no results. Did also try PC on. Here's the combinations:
    PC on>connected TV. Also, with PC on, TV on and off.
    PC off>connected TV.

This is the PhysX screen, I've tried all 3 settings:
    [​IMG]

I have like 10 cables, tried with them all. HDMI>HDMI; HDMI (TV) to DVI:
    [​IMG]
    VGA has just 2 types to try: HDMI and DVI; so the combinations from VGA: HDMI or DVI to TV's HDMI. No adapters, got a mini HDMI (VGA has a mini HDMI port) to HDMI that I tried to TV and monitor, HDMI port doesn't seem to work either (VGA's HDMI).
    I also tried on an old 15" monitor and only worked on DMI 1 port, not the other.
    Thanks for tips.

12. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Then it could be that 1 dvi port is caktus...

13. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    btw, what BIOS version for your board do you have???

14. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Yeah, if you've tried 2 monitors and they're not working together then the problems's with the card / motherboard or software. There should be nothing stopping two monitors working together... When your old card died... You sure it was the card, and not the mb?

15. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I agree with that, could be something gone wrong on the mobo, also might be a dud dvi port but it's unlikely...

16. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I was interested in seeing the 3 DVI/HDMI connectors. All of them are in white so the software (driver) is normally able to use them.

I doubt it is a MB issue. For me you should have bigger problems than that with a defective MB.

Regarding the problem itself, I have no idea so far. I will look a bit when back at home.

edit: I have not found anything that could explain why you are not seeing your second monitor in the list.
    You did not explicitly said that you tried to use the "Rigorous display detection" option but I guess you click on it and answer yes on the dialog box that open. ("force detection" is normally only for analog TV connection that is why it is grey out).
    I guess also that the TV is not listed in the device manager in monitor section.
    I have seen people in the forum saying that 258.96 works better than 260.99 for multi monitor.
    The only thing I can say is that the YCBCR444 option is broken since 259.34 but it is just a color space option for the TV and has nothing to do with detection.

good luck

17. Srdax

Srdax Member

GPU:
    GTX 460
    Interesting development.
    I realized that I missed one combination: DVI to HD15 (TV's PC connector):
    [​IMG]
    It does work. So this rules out port being faulty.
    But now I have no "clone" option, the only way that works is "extend desktop", for instance, in the monitor I can see the desktop but in TV I only see the background desktop and the cursor whenever I go "out of the desktop" from monitor.
    There's no clone options in the nvidia control panel:
    [​IMG]

Clone option also is not present on Windows display settings. Also, the only resolution I can chose is 1024x768 and I can chose to either "extend display" or "show desktop on 1/2" but never have the desk on both displays:
    [​IMG]

I went back to the 258.96 drivers but that didn't work. I'm now on newest drivers, but the issue persists.

18. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    There is, right click one of the screens in nv control panel multiple displays... :)

19. Srdax

Srdax Member

GPU:
    GTX 460
    Ah, yes. My bad.
    But it seems that I have to use *only* 1600x900. This sucks, after a lifetime in 1920x1080. And I can't change resolution on TV...
    So why is that DVI to HDMI doesn't work?

Edit: I can set up 1920x1080 on the monitor *and* clone to TV. It seems that Windows display settings have priority or take over the nvidia control panel settings. So I'm guessing here, that Windows is the culprit about DVI not working? Still the weirdness stays, how it was working on the previous video card?.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  20. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    That is strange... VGA on DVI does not use the same part of the DVI connector than full digital (DVI/HDMI) links.
    So the port can work for the part coming from the DAC and be broken for the rest.
    But since you tried 3 different video cards (including the ATI) and always had the same behavior I doubt it is the case.

I have seen other forum thread saying that a windows7 update made their second screen not working:
    http://superuser.com/questions/200212/secondary-monitor-not-detected-after-windows-update

I do not have that problem on my side. My Sony TV is still detected on the second DVI port and my windows7-64 is up to date.

It could be annoying but you can try to do a clean windows install and see if the problem persists.