Windows 10 and "Xbox" app

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Kolt, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-leaked-build-reveals-new-xbox-app/

Any thoughts on this? Speculation? Personally, unless this brings Xbox exclusives to my PC I don't want it all. Steam has achievements and everything I want for PC. It's annoying enough to have to deal with Origin and Uplay on top of Steam.

My fear is that this will come pre-installed and required to play games.. and this is especially true knowing MS and it's history with GFWL. Here's another scary thought: subscription gaming like consoles.

Interesting quote from reddit user McNeely:

"Two main possibilities here. Microsoft are fully aware consoles are dying and are trying to transition their Xbox division and game studio over to PC in the form of an Origin/Uplay/Steam type application. Second possibility is that they are naive enough to think that a desktop application for Xbox will get more PC gamers using Xbox. Hopefully it's the former and we get Halo. Not that it matters because if they don't bring it, Project Contingency will."

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Lol, consoles are not dying.

I will bet money that this is simply the xbox smartglass app for windows (minus connecting to your xbox). Basically a way for you to see what friends are online, achievements, the xbox store, etc.

3. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    As a die-hard PC gamer, I wouldn't really know too much about console sales or life haha.

I really hope you are right and that this is just a portal for existing Xbox users. I can't express how much I don't want another GFWL, or worse.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It will be irrelevant to everyone but Xbox users. Just ignore it and hope we can toss it out like today.

5. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    It's hard to say if it will be "irrelevant" or not. As is it stands today, xbox and the music/music deals app are seemingly already intertwined to an extent. I have not found any indication that this will simply be another origin or the like. It almost seems as if MS is branding their media with the XBOX nomenclature for a sense of homogenny.

As far as being afraid of it? Doesn't seem very rational.
    Actually, I'm not sure what the concern is at all. Apps can be removed/deleted. There is no indication that this will not be the case in the future. If the app does not appeal to a user they can simply take it upon themselves to remove that extra 28MB (oh god!) and live on with only what they are used to.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This is nothing more than an app similar to what MS touted Microsoft Media Centre connectivity for the 360 was suppose to be, back when it was launched.

Calm down.

7. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Let's hope that it is.

Perfectly calm, btw. Just trying to spark some conversation on the matter.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Honestly though.. if it turns out to be like Games for Windows Live.. ANY game that has it as a requirement I will not be buying.

I've wasted hundreds and hundreds of dollars on games with Games for Windows Live integration only to be met with no support... end of product life cycle.. no ability to save game progress.. Many hours wasted on the phone to Microsoft support.

Absolute waste of my ****ing time and money.

If I want to install a game and ****ing play it I want to install it and ****ing play it.

*takes rage hat off*

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Do you own Steam/Origin/Uplay games? It's the same thing.

Honestly I never got the GFWL hate. I not once had a problem with any game or any of my saves.

10. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Yeah, it was fine when worked.
    I didn't played much PC games with GFWL, but for example I can't buy DLCs in Dirt 3 anymore, not that I want to buy them, just noticed.

As for the app, I think it will just be to check your achievements, games, Live market, etc.
    Pretty much what You can do from the Xbox site, just in the form of dedicated app.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Ok, first off, consoles are not dying. LMAO. Have you been living under a rock? You can't ignore every site listing the crazy numbers the Xbox One and PS4 are selling at? They're selling better than their last-gen systems did in the same amount of time in the market. That's hardly dying. Jesus...I know you want to claim PC gaming is the be all end all but c'mon.

Secondly, this Xbox App is nothing more than the same app they have on android, ios and windows phone. It will simply allow you to interact with the dashboard of the console.

Why would Microsoft kill a revenue stream, a BIG revenue stream they have with console gaming to simply put it directly on PC? That's just...

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Personally I would like to see Live on Windows again, I think we need a system like that.

We do have Steam that's already gigantic!

13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    You do know what quotation marks imply right? I made no claims about consoles dying. I quoted a top remark on Reddit to add discussion to the post. I also don't care how well consoles are doing because, quite frankly, I don't ever really intend to be a consumer of them.

If you want to be an ass and try to belittle someone because of a friendly post that's cool, but maybe you should understand what punctuation marks indicate first. "Interesting quote from reddit user McNeely:"

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    If you post a quote, stand behind it. You found it "interesting" (see what I did there?) , therefore you are not against it and feel the need to show it to others. It's a moronic post. Business 101, you don't cut half your profits.

Sorry, normally I don't go off on forums, I don't want to be that guy, but this just irks me.

If you're a PC only gamer, wtf do you care what the xbox app does? Ignore it?

15. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I also find your attitude and lack of understanding "interesting", but I certainly don't stand behind it. (see what I did there?). Quoting someone for discussion doesn't mean you stand behind it. It means I'm curious about it and was wondering what others felt. If I "stood by it" and honestly felt that way I would have worded it myself in the topic. Do I really need to start spelling everything out to avoid these ignorant little bashes?

"If you're a PC only gamer, wtf do you care what the xbox app does? Ignore it?" (NOTE: Not standing by what you said.) ... you didn't even read the parts I personally wrote did you?: "unless this brings Xbox exclusives to my PC I don't want it all. Steam has achievements and everything I want for PC. It's annoying enough to have to deal with Origin and Uplay on top of Steam.

My fear is that this will come pre-installed and required to play games.."

Not wanting to be forced to use another GFWL-type program on my -PC- has everything to do with PC gaming..?

16. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Sorry for the double post.

I'm just going to go ahead and stop arguing. It's not helping anybody and it's not really my thing. Sorry if I was a bit harsh.. bad day at work and that post got to me.

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I highly recommend you drop that mentality, you're missing out on some amazing games that the pc could only ever dream of having. Even try some of the emulators PS2 and Gamecube/Wii. The last two years or more of my greatest gaming experiences have been on GC/wii/ps3. They just have a certain completeness/quality that PC games dont have today and to an extent, have never had - You're not going to find something on the PC that matches the charm/excitement of an Uncharted adventure. The last PC exclusive I enjoyed as much as I did something from the PS3 or GC/Wii was STALKER, I believe.

I get that some take pride in having a more powerful system in comparison to consoles, but remember, at one point gfx in pc games were just as limited in pixels. Dont let a lower resolution stop you from missing out on what can be had today for bargain prices (ps360/wii/gc).

Playing Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and Metal Gear Solid - Twin Snakes on Dolphin was a gaming feeling I havent had since Final Fantasy 7/8 on the ps1 or Splinter Cell 3 on xbox. **** was magical. PC games, while pretty, just lack that these days. I say these days, but besides ED/SC, what does the pc have as an exclusive that matches the consoles first party titles - Nothing imo, not unless you go back atleast 4-5 years. Hell, even SW Rogue Squadron 2/3 on the GC gives alot of current games a run for their money. You'd be surprised what the consoles can do. If anything, itll make you wounder why the pc only has what is does, when such old consoles can provide an arguably better experience for gamers.

Pick up a cheap ps3 or borrow one, grab Uncharted/killzone 1-3/MGS2,3,4/Heavy Rain/GOW (I dont know what to recommend for the 360, but it has it perks). Long live Conker Live and Reloaded for xbox, how does that game look so good?:)

18. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Haha, forgot to mention I do own and play one console and that's a WiiU for Smash Brothers and Mario Kart. My Wiiu is basically a Smash and Kart box. (I also have a Wii, but that was really just for Brawl also and has since been boxed up)

I also do technically have access to a PS3/PS4, but only because my SO has them and brings them to my place a lot. I will agree that there are a few games/series I really do enjoy or want to play that are exclusive to PS/Xbox (The Last of Us, Metal Gear, Uncharted, etc), but it just never really was enough for me to consider myself a console player or to go out and buy a console. For every 1 game that I can't play on PC that I would actually want there are 10 new ones that I can (guestimate), and if I want to play it that bad (rare) I'll just play it on someone else's system like I have.

The last console I owned and played a lot of (Super Smash Brothers on Wii/WiiU doesn't count) was the Nintendo 64. I wouldn't say PC gaming is my favorite due to graphics, although I won't argue that it is a big factor. It's more of how I grew up and the series I fell in love with that at the time were PC only. I guess I just really enjoy my gaming to be all on one system where I've dedicated tons of money and time on. There is also modding and mouse/keyboard which also play a huge role in all this. For some reason I absolutely hate game controllers, and especially hate auto-aim.

19. Hirantha

Hirantha Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Hybrid (BEAST)
    This is a battle you can't win. Just give up and buy a console like i did and i got a PS4 so, now i can enjoy the both worlds!

20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Same here. Bad day at work lol. Damn forum access while being stressed, never a good combo. I also apologize for my comments.