CPU and Motherboard Upgrade

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ubersoldat, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ubersoldat

ubersoldat New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6670
    Hi,

I need some advice on upgrading my CPU and motherboard, my current specs are shown below.

AMD A8 3850
    Asus F1A55-M
    Corsair 4 X 2GB RAM 1333Mhz
    Seasonic 520W
    Sapphire HD 6670 1GB DDR 5

I am facing issues while playing far cry 3 on this system, I get 35-47 fps on medium settings but it stutters a lot. Will upgrading to the below specs improve the system performance, will it be of any use? I am not into overclocking and plan to run the CPU at stock speed.

AMD X6 1055T + MSI 890GXM-G65 or AMD Phenom 955 Black Edition + GIGABYTE 880GM.

Out of these two which CPU, Mobo should i go for? Both these motherboards have 4+1 Phase power, will it be an issue anytime in near future?

Thanks in advance.

2. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Will the system let you crossfire the iGPU with the discrete card? The A8 is not super fast but, I think you might be better off upgrading your video card instead. However, I would go for the X6 1055T +MSI motherboard combo from those two selections.

Edit: Also, how much are you getting the processor and cpu combos for? If you can afford it, going up to a Nvidia 970 Video card would be good and you would be able to play the game much better. (Some might say that you processor will bottleneck the card and although you may not get as much out of it as with a newer processor, you will still get a lot out of it no doubt.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  3. ubersoldat

ubersoldat New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6670
    Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I can enable dual graphics, but it performs worse in GTA IV and FC 3, there is a huge drop in frames, it feels unplayable :bang:. I get better frames when switched to the discrete GPU and IGP disabled. But I want to run these and upcoming games at max details. My doubt is if I get a HD 6950 2GB will the A8 3850 do justice to it? Is my current CPU weak?

For the AMD X6 1055T combo it costs $120 and for Phenom 955 $100. Regarding 970, I am not into high end gaming, just want to run games stutter free at max details. So can I buy the HD 6950 for my A8 3850?

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    If I were you, i'd take the x6 + mobo combo and then spare for a cheap 270/7800 Radeon series.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The x6 1055T + 6950 isn't going to run most games at "max detail".....

You're not "into high end gaming", yet you want to use settings that are typical of "high end gaming".....

To run upcoming games at "max detail" you'll need a high-end system..... What you currently have is an entry-level system and what you're planning to upgrade to is a "budget" system. Neither will be capable of "max detail" in upcoming games.

6. ubersoldat

ubersoldat New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6670
    okay, thanks all for the advice. I'll see what can be done, my budget is very limited.

7. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    If nothing else, upgrading that card to one with a higher bandwidth memory bus would help also. Let us know what happens and hope you enjoy whatever you get.

8. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    I'll tell you the thing that I tell everyone with a tight budget...SAVE. If you go from entry-level to 'budget build' then you will be itching to upgrade in a matter of months. My advice...save up a bit more and get a nice FX-6300 or FX-8350, a mid range motherboard and then get a 280x or so. I'm a bit of an Intel guy myself so these may be a bit outdated, but you will be much happier and see a much much more substantial performance boost...and won't have that itch to upgrade near as quickly.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I agree. Doesn't help you to spend now and want to spend again in 12 months, althought that could always be the case. Just make sure you go for at least 3GB of VRAM these days *cough* j/k :D

10. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI