2way-crossfire + 3rd sound-card 16x+16x+4x problem.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by slizersam, Oct 10, 2014.

1. slizersam

slizersam Active Member

GPU:
    Vega64
    hi i have this problem, if anyone can confirm that i cant run both cards in 16x mode and at the same time have a asus dx soundcard too.
    when i have the soundcard in any of the other pciex slots my secondary crossfire card becomes 8x

Motherboard in question is the REV1.x ga-990fxa-ud7
    i refered to my manual but i could not make sense of it....

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3527#sp

"The PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots espectively. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode; when PCIEX8_2 is populated with an expansion card, the PC IEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode."

Basically means when something is plugged into third it goes into 8x on everything. Doesn't matter if its a GPU/Soundcard.

You don't lose that much performance when they run on x8, at top maybe like 5-10 frames.

3. slizersam

slizersam Active Member

GPU:
    Vega64
    Allright, i do have PCIEX4_1 and PCIEX4_2 tho,
    i tried putting the soundcard into the 4_2, but then the secondary gfx card became X1... possible driver error? or gpu-z error?

4. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    probs shared bus so goes x1 my board has x4 port but if I put a card in a x1 slot the x4 slot has to run at x1 if I use the x4 port at x4 then I have no x1 ports as they are all shared with the x4 slot

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Install the soundcard in x4 slot. U sure both GPU's are using x16, and not x16/x8?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014