Samsung Galaxy S2 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Li4m79, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Ok, so mine got delivered yesterday!!!

I am a very happy bunny right now!!

I started this thread because I want to see what other s2 users would think, and what softwares/accessories people have etc etc.... Also, i know I will have more S2 specific questions in the near future too.

I rooted mine yesterday, but haven't put on any custom FW just yet, still in the honeymoon period.

I'm also torn at what case to get for it.. I have seen this

CaseMate

[​IMG]

Which is a brushed aluminium case or there is a Mesh one I quite like the look of too

Samsung

[​IMG]

Also as a side note, to anyone thinking about this phone, I would highly recommend it, its bigger than any phone I have ever had, but that is not a negative, just takes a bit of getting used to...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I had to download a new keyboard, since both the default ones are no good, it's called "smart keyboard" if you find you need a new one.

And the default video player doesn't support subtitles, but I found one that does within a few minutes of google, and it works great, just as smooth as the default in 720p mkv's.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Gonna import an unlocked S2 here soon. :D Can't wait for it.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    check out litening rom 5.0. it's great.

5. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    EDIT: That rom looks sheeexxxy!!! My favourite colours to, neon blue on Black......fits in with my puter too.... may just give that a whirl

i've heard good reports about VillainRom too...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    good thing about the litening rom is that you won't lose your apps/settings as it doesn't wipe your phone. it's quick, it's good on the battery, it comes rooted and every update is easy to install without having to backup/recover your data. give it a go :)

7. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Gettin' on it as we speak man!! Cheers dude!

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, let us know what you think once you install it... also make sure you get chainfire3D as well, it enables the majority of tegra2 games to run on the s2. some of them look out of this world!

9. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Why would you consider another case? You shouldn't be looking at that side anyway ;)
    I'm enjoying this GS2 for a week now and I'll just wait (a few days) for Samsung's release of 2.3.4.
    What apps are you looking for exactly ? I'm using it as a remote control (and monitoring tool) for MSI Afterburner, Asus BT Go, Winamp, WoL (also over Internet), RDP, games and other apps. Liking Crazy Snowboard HD Pro and GT Racing: Motor Academy Free+.
    Have fun!

10. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    Great phones and super fast with loads of storage space.

11. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Sprint is getting their version of the SGS2 soon, I'll see about maybe getting it later this year. I'm up for an upgrade discount from Sprint soon.

12. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Well so far so good with listening rom. Although the battery seems to be going down slightly quicker.................I think, but its too early to tell as I'm on the thing all the time just now. There are so many apps and games out there its silly. Loving the fact that I don't have to type to write anything if I'm feeling lazy

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, the battery will go down before you do a full charging cycles. then it should be better. Plus, like you said, you're constantly playing around with the phone so you're probably using it a lot more than you will be eventually once you set everything up. battery lasts me over a day of normal usage (net, some gaming, some music etc).

14. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    yeah exactly, i've still not done a proper full cycle recharge yet, gonna drain the **** outta it today and then give it a slow charge on the usb.

I'm still deciding on my launcher.... Go Launcher is ok, but I took it back off in favour of TouchWiz, tried the win7 launcher, looks really good, but its really only a front screen and a list of apps......

I'm looking forward to seeing whats gonna happen when Icecream sandwich arrives

@FatBoyNL its just a case that the phone slips into, just gives me a bit more added protection for when one of my rugrats decides to launch it across the room!! (if any of them did do that, they would die btw)

and litening Rom uses 2.3.4... definitely keeping my eyes on xda forum just now..

thank god for BM alpha too.....:pc1:

15. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    So Litening Rom installed, and yesterday, changed the kernel to Ninphetamine 2.0.5.. pretty happy with this set up just now, but my eye is on the scene for updates etc......

charged my phone up last night and it came off the charge at about midnight, and I still have quite a bit of juice left in it today. WiFi is on 24/7 with background facebook syncs/email checks etc, and i have had moderate usage today.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Loving the swipe keyboard, very very intuitive +1

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

16. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Phone is great but few problems. Low wi fi signal is my greatest gripe then comes battery life. I got 5 different roms all on sd backed up so i can choose which to use when it takes my fancy. Also just managed to hack unlimited coins on Coins Dozzer !!!

17. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Lite'ning Rom v6.1 XXKH3

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274

just flashed to this.....

18. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Any improvements over official?

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I started downloading it today but then read that the messaging app causes FC so I stopped the download. I'm still on v5.0, it's running great so don't feel the need to upgrade with potential bugs. lemme know if everything is working as it should mate.

20. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    A few improvements mate, for me better battery life (i think) over stock, a few UI tweaks, little bit faster and more responsive (not that it was slow at stock)

Having no probs with 6.1 so far, never had any probs with 5,0 either though...

All happy here :)