GPU annoying sound while folding

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by atomique, Dec 15, 2008.

1. atomique

atomique New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX260OC 896MB
    Greetings,

Yesterday I started folding for the team with new GPU.

Is anyone else experiencing a very quiet but really high pitched noise while folding with their GPU?

I can not work with it. Not because of the volume but the pitch is like a dog whistle to me.

Is there an easy way to schedule the F@H to start once I am safely tucked up in my bed, so I don't have to hear it?

Thanks and what a cool site Guru3D is.

a.

PS I am assuming that all my PC specs will show to the left of this post. :)

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    GPU's don't release any sounds. It's either fan on graphic card that starts spinning faster, bad caps on gfx card or mobo or bad caps in your PSU.

3. atomique

atomique New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX260OC 896MB
    Thanks for the quick response.

Hmmm? How am I going to trouble shoot this one? None of my spares will play with the new rig.

Bummer.

Scheduling start an option?

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Just try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from by sticking your head into PC case. I usually gently stop all fans, 1 at a time and see if they do that. Then i try to remove any unnecessary components that might cause that (soundcard/speakers).

5. atomique

atomique New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX260OC 896MB
    Thanks again.

Definitely the graphics card. Not the fan but something else.

Guess that I am stuffed as I am going to have a hell of a time trying to RMA it in Malaysia. They are all crooked bastards here. :)

6. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    I have sounds like that while gaming on my 4870. Probably there are bad caps on the card but it's nothing to worry about. I'm working with my 4870 for about 6 months and it's flawless, no single issue.:banana:

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    It's the power regulation on the card which makes the noise (most likely an unsealed coil), under load the sound gets louder. Nothing to worry about at all, it's completely normal.

8. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Nothing else on the card will make a sound. Are you sure that it's the graphics card and not a fan nearby?

[edit]
    So much for that :p

9. atomique

atomique New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX260OC 896MB
    As far as I can tell it is the GC or possibly the MB.

All other variables have been eliminated.

Concerned about stopping the GC fan for too long. Sound only occurs while folding.

Could be wrong but unless I have other factors that could be possibly causing the issue, I guess it is the GC. Less than no chance having the GC replaced in Malaysia because of this issue. :( Unless I want to buy another exact same CG while Gigabyte take 3 months + to investigate and still return the same card. :( Malaysian service sucks. It is a reason than stuff is comparatively cheap here.

As attractive as twin SLI is I don't have the cash to splash for wasted time and effort.

Cheers anyway,

a.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    My X2 does the same thing when running Furmark. It is perfectly normal, just slightly irritating.

11. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    my gtx does the same during folding it is annoying but i will probably step-up to the new refresh when it is released
    it is a cap on the gpu making the noise

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    It's more likely to be an inductor:

[​IMG]

It has a coil inside which can vibrate at high frequency creating a squealing noise.