How to lock out voltage for OC on 1080Ti?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danny_G13, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Hey folks, I got myself an EVGA Hybrid kit for my 1080Ti, and the temps are great. Highest I've yet seen is 53C. From 85C that's a heck of an improvement.

Thing is I'm trying to get to grips with overclocking, and at the moment I've managed a +175 boost, with +50Mv. It seems stable so far, I'm getting around 2060Mhz which isn't bad.

Problem is I'm noticing some occasional fluctuation in some games where the clock speed goes down, sometimes as low as 1800 and the 'low power' warning appears in Afterburner.

I've tried fiddling around with the voltage/clock curve but I'm not quite sure how to maximise its effectiveness. I've stuck mainly with the sliders so far. I've got power at 120 of course.

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong, if anything.

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    In afterburner press control + f to bring up voltage chart.Move a point on the voltage curve press enter hit check mark to save and try out your settings.

I run my card undervolted
    1.000 mV
    2012 core
    5800 memory

[​IMG]

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    FE bios is very power limited.

You may try flashing the EVGA black edition or the other ones with 358w max for PT.

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Nah ain't gonna flash - paperweighting this isn't a good call!

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    This wasn't the best explained post ever but it was actually quite helpful anyway. I've grasped the bin steps, the curve purpose, and while my clock rate still wildly fluctuates in Andromeda (it's bad, really bad - can end up down at 1700), everything else it now seems to stay around 2000. It will just take time to see if it's truly stable.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    There's like virtually no risk in it.
    Especially considering you have iGPU

Your only other option to have stable clock speeds is to undervolt.

1v is good place to start.

set 2000mhz at 1v for the top of the curve, each bin below that subtract 13mhz until .95v(after that doesnt matter much)

If 2ghz isn't stable you may try like 1.012v or lower clocks instead.

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Sorry Danny_G13 I just made a quick post.I should have explained more in depth.Glad you got the jist of my post and yes you gotta test some for stable clocks. I just tried MEA game clocks jumped from 1200 thru 2000+ on cut screens but gaming was fine.You may need more power.

Anyhow Agent-A01 is correct.

Flash different BIOS GTX 1080Ti for your card there is only a couple of BIOS to stay away from.I suggest do a little reading ,ask some questions.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1627212/how-to-flash-a-different-bios-on-your-1080-ti

More BIOS here on techpowerup.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...X+1080+Ti&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Well that's just it - I've found 1.081 to be the most stable on my card. 1.093 wasn't. So what use would going more v be?

And what BIOS would you recommend if I did go this route?

9. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Already doing this :)

I'm a dinosaur used to sliders - having to learn this stuff as I go! Do appreciate the replies.

10. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    You mean higher than 1.093 etc?

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    1.093 is default max voltage for GTX 1080TI when you max out or add voltage to the GTX 1080 TI card in say afterburner.

The power I was talking about was power limit %.
    I think your card is 120% for MSI 1080Ti FE bios.
    I have a BIOS which has 150% power limit.
    GPU Boost 3 sucks and many things can cause throttling.

Since you have the Hybird kit this helps with throttling keeps card cooler.
    Also lower voltage running your card helps with throttling.

To be honest running the GTX 1080ti at 2000 core or 2100 core no real difference in games.

You bought Hybird kit and want better clocks and less throttling I would suggest to try different BIOS with higher power limit %.

You may have to try a few different BIOS to find what is best for you.
    Different BIOS will have different results.You may find the stock BIOS may have best results with lower voltage.

Anyway as posted before do some reading over at this site,lots of good infomation there.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1627212/how-to-flash-a-different-bios-on-your-1080-ti

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Another helpful post, thank you. I flashed to EVGA FTW3 bios but can find no way to make power limit go beyond 127. Guy in that thread claims 358 but I'm a little lost on that one.

I also tried the XOC bios and which stocked me stable at 2000MHz then overclock to 2088 and it all worked well but the temps went up to 58C, by miles the highest I've seen. Wasn't keen on that.

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    FTW BIOS 127% power limit and 358 watts max for that BIOS.The higher the limit /watts less throttling will occur on the power limit.

XOC BIOS no power limit BIOS so the point of this one would be to get higher overclocks without power limit throttling. Temperatures would be higher and 58c is nothing.

Anyway I thought you wanted a stable overclock without throttling ,the above two BIOS you mentioned should help you out there.

Nvidia has sucked the fun out of overclocking,but trying a few different BIOS to achieve what you want can be somewhat fun lol.Keep trying different BIOS.

Open command prompt and type this in and hit enter.IT will tell you the limits of the BIOS.
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -q -d power[/B]

So in the screenshot this BIOS has default power limit 250watts and max of 375 watts.
    [​IMG]

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Fixed :)

15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Thank you. The heating issue wasn't ideal, and I did imply in my OP that it matters a little - after all, the more C it goes up, the more it will throttle. I also plain dislike seeing temps above 54C now. I'm happy with the 50C area and higher than that does my OCD head in.

BUT

If we disregard that, I did notice that even with the XOC bios locked into 2088Mhz, the performance was actually down on my default bios at the same speed (even though the default was still fluctuating between 1970-2088). I definitely lost a number of frames.

This requires fine tuning.

What I am trying to nail is minimising the excessive temps, getting the best performance I can from the clocks while remaining stable.

Weirdly the best performance I've had remains the default bios.

As you say, they've taken the fun out - it's much more like surgery than it used to be. Far too fiddly.

16. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I will quote myself always wanted to do that J/K.No I understand where you are coming from,Hybird kit and you want stable clock and cooling makes sense to me.
    So for my quote below I settled with lower voltage/clocks and no throttling for my card on air on default BIOS. You can always try my BIOS and see if there is any difference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B273Qp8fBbjbRlBDNkxHSUduQXc

17. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Yeah I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes! Cheers.

18. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Not very well. It gave me 700MHz! Dunno why but it wasn't compatible with my card.

19. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL 700 mhz.Well at least your card won't get too hot.

20. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Ha. I went back to the XOC - only Witcher 3 actually makes my card go beyond about 55C so far - it hits 60C. At 2050MHz. And the performance seems to be the best compromise.

But why does that BIOS not report card usage or fan speed?