GPU Reaching high temps at both Idle and Load ?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BB Gun, Aug 12, 2017.

1. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Hello everyone.

I've started to monitor my GPU temps lately, as I've decided to OC it to somewhere around 1450/3800 and I noticed my temps are quite high, idle is 53-58°C (fans always at 0%) load is 83°C (fans around 83%).

I thought it was all from the dust that build up in my case, so I decided to clean it. After a thorough cleaning and making sure there is very little/no dust inside the case, especially around the GPU I decided to test the temps again.
    It seems nothing has changed, temps are still somewhere around 50-53°C (fans still at 0%) at idle after a bit when PC started then slowly rising to 58°C , and load is 82°C (fans still at 83%).

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this ?

Here is my system:

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.5 GHz

GPU: MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM: Patriot G2 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz

PSU: SuperFlower Leadex Gold 650W

Case: Fractal Design Define R5

The clocks of the GPU are at:
    135/405 when idle 1350/3500 when gaming (GPU boosts itself)

There is 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan in my case. I unfortunately don't know my room temps since I don't have a thermometer, and the outside is 35°C some the room gets heated up a little.
    Some folk also have said that having a 144hz monitor increases the GPU temps since it renders more frames , is there any truth to this ?

All of this was tested in a slightly cool room, on Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor on everything maxed out (with HD Content installed) @ 1440p for around 5-10 minutes.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce temps ?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Many aftermarket cards have 0% fan speeds until 60c is reached, that is quite normal.

82c is not dangerous either.

You may try replacing the thermal paste on it with high quality one, you could probably drop temps 5-15c depending on how bad factory application is.

3. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Interesting...
    Thanks for the reply Agent, also could it be possible for these temps to be high this much because I'm gaming @ 1440p ?

4. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    if your card is working harder then yes your temps will be higher :)

a custom fan profile wouldnt hurt either , the lower your temps when gaming the higher the card will boost

5. beta-sama

beta-sama Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX1080Ti WF
    Is your case properly cooled ? Does the graphics card receive fresh air ?

6. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Well I got 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan, so I'm not sure what do you mean by "fresh air".

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It might be better to add another fan or two to increase the quantity of air (fresh air) that enters your case to see if your temps improve. The more of cool/fresh air enters the case, the better.

8. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Ok, that's a good suggestion but where to put them ?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yup if you just want to keep it running a bit cooler there is no problem setting up a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner.

http://shadowdane.com/public/pics/Gtx1080ti_Custom_Fan_Curve.png

With this curve my card idles at ~28-30C and sits at 60-75C at load depending on the game and GPU load.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well it depends on your case but i´m assuming that it has at least space for one more fan in the front?

It´s easier if you can tell us what´s your case.

11. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  12. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    with cases like that front fans are next to pointless because of the severely limited airflow

13. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    The front ventilation is at either side of the case. The Fractal cases have very good airflow (I have an R4). In my set up and I have 2 intake at the front, 1 intake underneath (not including the PSU) and the rear fan is the exhaust.

I know it works well because my GPU is able to be kept cool (I have a Fury afterall and that thing dumps a lot of heat) and the PC remains quiet

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Sorry didn´t notice that in the very first post... Anyway it seems you can add another fan in the front and maybe another one in the side or in the top to improve the cooling of the case.
    Is not going to make any miracles but it´s gonna improve a little.

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Go AIO for you next GPU - Problem solved.

16. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    the airflow in fractal case is good , same as any other case to be fair , but its severely restricted at the front vs one with a mesh

17. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Honestly, not that much, the front door is there just to keep the pc quiet, the air just gets pulled in from the sides (at the front) rather than directly infront but if more aireflow is needed then the door can be removed fairly simply (I'm sure it's the same on the R5 as the R4, just undo the screws on the hinges and the door comes off) but as I said, the airflow is very good as is. (Looking at my dust filters... really need to give them a clean).

My Fury hovers between 65-67ºc and the gpu fans never spin up to a point where they are noticeable.

18. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Anyone got any suggestion on what case fans I should buy ?