Alphacool Offers HDX5 Cooled M.2 RAID Add-on Card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Alphacool releases its HDX-5, a combination of a RAID controller card for M2 units and a massive cooler. The unit has two slots for M.2 SATA SSDs and two additional SATA slots, allowing you to set up ...

Alphacool Offers HDX5 Cooled M.2 RAID Add-on Card

2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I picked up the Alphacool hdx2 to cool my Samsung 960 pro. Took my temps down from constantly being in the 60-70c range to staying under 35c even under load. My m2 slot is under the graphics card and I was hanging right at throttle temps all the time so bit the bullet.

Anyhow just wanted to say I has happy with the quality of the product.

3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    If this only supports S-ATA based M.2 cards then I fail to see the point. :3eyes:

4. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    It supports 2 x M.2 SATA SSD's and 2 x 2.5" SATA SSD's for a total of four SSD's but yes no NVMe

5. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    I think it's fine it says: M.2 2280 SATA SSDs * does this not mean NVMe? *

Scroll down: https://www.alphacool.com/Link zur Landingpage: shopware.php?sViewport=campaign&emotionId=2844

So unless I am reading that wrong you can add two SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe and put them in RAID1 which no mobo allows right now that I know of. I don't think there is any mobo that lets you use any brand of M.2 2280s in RAID right now?

Sounds awesome for a workstation to have RAID1 for your work drive.

6. nosirrah

nosirrah Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980M
    M.2 and 2280 are just the form factor, usually NVMe but that is not always true, look @ this:

Lenovo M.2 2280 256GB SATA 4XB0K48499

The site pretty clearly says:

"M.2 2280 SATA SSDs"

which makes this:

"3900 MB/s"

unattainable BS.

This looks like nothing more than an expensive M.2 SATA SSD cooler.

7. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    I think your right, I took a better look at the picture in the link: https://www.alphacool.com/Link zur Landingpage: shopware.php?sViewport=campaign&emotionId=2844 the M.2 slots have the notch on the left which means its a regular M.2 max 550 MB/s if it was a NVMe slot the notch would be on the right.

Man :( this sucks what a pointless card, it could of been epic, if it was NVMe I get it. Why on earth are they even advertising 3900 MB/s? Like you said that is unattainable BS for a regular M.2 SATA tech.

8. nosirrah

nosirrah Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980M
    They are talking about the maximum speed the card can talk to PCIe, which they are technically telling the truth about.

The lie (by omission) is that SATA drives can saturate that link, which is of course impossible.

Reading the very specific way they are wording the specs also implies that 4 SATA drives (2 conventional and 2 M.2) cannot be used in a 4 drive array. They mention RAID 1 or 0 but not RAID 10 which should totally be possible with 4 SATA drives on one controller.

Useless indeed.