Problem Overclocking Gigabyte 1080 Xtreme Gaming

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by xema25, Aug 3, 2017.

1. xema25

xema25 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 Xtreme
    Hi Guys!

I tried to overclock my Gigabyte 1080 Xtreme Gaming using the Gigabyte program. It has 3 default profiles for the GPU Clock and the Memory clock:

- Turbo: The default one, no problems with it.
    - Eco Mode: Never tried
    - Overclock: Works but I get Black screens (with audio still playing, like a GPU driver crash, from time to time).:pc1:

I updated the BIOS of the GPU to F2 (the latest version) and no fixes. Also the OC profile does not increase the Voltage by default, but I thought the voltage was capped for these cards.

Any advice (like increasing the V)? Does anybody else has this card?

Thanks!

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Welcome to the world of "you didnt win silicon lottery".

My card REFUSES to clock past 2037mhz, however some people get over 2100 on 1080Ti, while my previous 1080 clocked just fine to 2150....

Anyways the real difference will be 2-5fps at best with OC, so if it doesn't OC, don't strain it.

3. xema25

xema25 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 Xtreme
    wow :( Thanks! the thing is that I know ppl with the same card OC. Is just that mine is faulty? or should I try OC it? When selecting the OC profile I got minimim 5FPS in AC Syndicate (in other games it was not noticeable at all, depends on the GPU load I believe).

Thanks!

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Download MSi afterburner and use curve to overclock.

You can set a certain frequency and voltage.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I sympathize. I haven't had the best luck with overclocking some of my previous cards. Actually 90% of the time I get a lemon that just kinda overclocks but not near what anyone else gets. My current card I got the boost up to 1987mhz despite 2ghz being the least expected overclock for the Aorus 1080ti xtreme. Luckily my memory wasn't as stubborn and I was able to get +400mhz in afterburner but this is all with a 135% power target. Anyways, lesson to be learned is to buy a card that meets your requirements at stock and never expect anything when overclocking and just be happy with what you get as a bonus.

6. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Have you tried using GPU-Z to make sure you are running at Pcie 16 3.0 and check bios. Also try CPUID it will show you all your rigs components and realative power usage, fan speeds etc. This may show you any anomalies that you may have too. Try setting your computer power management to High Performance in Power Settings, and last but not least set your fan control on your gpu to a higher rpm to keep the card cooler before it throttles back from heat. Tip: You can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to raise settings on Afterburner by one tick at a time.

7. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Yes def use afterburner and peg the voltage and temp settings to max. Then use the fan control to raise the rpm on the fan to keep it cooler to prevent throttling. Fan noise doesn't bother me so set it to your tolerance. You can then try step by step to find sweet spot for overclocking. There are plenty of articles on how to do that.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    What are you talking about, it's an AIO card, and yes it is in PCIe 3.0, with latest mobo Bios.

Not a good silicon, thats all.

9. xema25

xema25 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 Xtreme
    So is the card broken or something? Should I RMA it?

10. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    No your card is not broken or faulty.
    But you have to take in consideration that two identical gpus(or cpus), does not have the same overclocking potential due to small variations in the manufacturing process.
    Have a good chip is a matter of luck.
    That's why they are telling you that 'you didn't win the silicon lottery'.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1

This.

Card is not broken, as mentioned above two exactly same GPU models will have slightly different capabilities due to manufacturing process.

If card is working fine in accordance to manufacturer's specification, it is deemed as a Solid card. All cards are pre-tested by manufacturer to work up to specified performance. Card can be described as faulty only if it is not working up to specifications with default clocks.

Any sort of Overclock is you taking your own risk to go over the specified clock speeds. In this case by overclocking.

As a result you get into world of silicon lottery where some GPU's / CPU's will overclock much higher, some less, some won't OC at all however work fine on stock clock speeds. Only case you can consider your card as faulty is when it won't work on manufacturer's specified clock speeds.

So once again, your card is Fine just don't OC it.