CPU heating up to 84c

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by The General, May 19, 2016.

1. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I have my browser open , have virtual dub running fixing up a video, and my cpu temps heat up to 84c to 85c, is this normal? or should i apply some more paste.
    sounds like a noob question i know. just asking don't hate.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Depending how badly
    stressing your CPU and how long.

Ideally I'd keep temperatures below 70 if CPU under stress for longer than an hour.

What's your CPU cooler?

3. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    only takes a few mins to fix up the videos, i will keep an eye on it though and probably add some more paste to it. as for my cpu, same thing that shipped with the box
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

all this time when my computer froze, it probably was because my cpu temps were hitting 90c and it was never the driver all along. i will take care of it later today. cheers

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If it's the stock cooler I'm not surprised at all. I remember when I used the stock cooler first with 2600K and the temperatures were absolutely horrible when I started stressing the CPU. There isn't really anything you can do other than getting a new cooler if you are currently using the stock cooler.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    More paste isn't always better... just make sure you get a decent cooler.

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Be careful if adding more paste. If you put too much it can act as an insulator rather than a conductor.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's true, although not worth getting anything too exceptional. The heatsink is probably coated in dust as well acting as an insulator, not unlike putting on a jumper on a cold day. If it's something that didn't do it a couple of years ago but is now, I dare say that is what is causing it. Since you have to remove it to clean it properly anyway, and therefore need new thermal paste, you might as well spend the extra money and use the paste that comes with a new cooler. Something like the Coolermaster 212 Evo.