comparing two 24" LCDs

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Rangoon, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    I'm considering the following:

NEC 2470

Samsung 245T

adding:

Gateway 2400FHD

BenQ FP241W - I'm not sure what type of panel this is.

NEC 2490 - I think this is an IPS panel. Anyone know? Here's the user manual.

Planar PX2611W - this is a real contender. IPS, 12ms/5ms

DS-263N - Doublesight 26" using the same panel as the Planar. Less flexible stand, 6-dead-pixel policy to Planar's three.

The NEC is a PVA, has no HDMI input, reviews suggest little or no backlight bleed, 6ms GTG.

The Samsung pages says it's a TN, but reviews at newegg say it's a PVA. 6ms GTG, HDMI input, some backlight bleed based on reviews.

edit: The Gateway is a TN, glossy, lots of inputs, flexible. But it seems to have backlight bleed issues.

edit: The 2490 NEC is a little slower, but very expensive and people seem to think it's the top 24" out there. Anyone here have experience with it? Or even a sense? :)

All have full range of adjustments. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    That Samsung is a PVA panel.

They both look pretty good. Personally, I would go for the NEC since it has a much larger brightness and a better stand.

3. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    Thanks SolidBladez.

One more question. What about input lag? Is something to be concerned with in either of these? I read something about SyncTurn being a trade-off between input lag and tearing. ?

4. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    I'm currently gaming on a Westinghouse 24" LCD and it has a rated 8ms GTG response time and I experience no lag or skipping what so ever. I think you should be fine with a 6ms GTG. :D

5. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    Also, this Gateway 2400FHD is another I'm considering. It is a TN, but seems to have a great image quality, nice construction, fast response. It apparently has some significant issues with backlight bleed. It has a glossy screen. IIRC, that's a good thing for a TN but not so much for a PVA. Is that right? Any thoughts on the Gateway compared to the NEC?

Regarding the input lag, I think it's different from response time in that it's at the front end. So before the pixels even have been told to change, there is lag. I think it's such that when you move your mouse, there is lag before see the effect (I'm sure it's very small, but...). Then on top of that you have the 6ms GTG time.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  6. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    It'll definitely be a lot better in gaming but if you ever watch any movies or do any picture editing, the colors are going to look kind of saturated. Also, if your not seated directly in front of your monitor... you're gonna have some viewing angles problems.

That's why I always choice PVA over TN. Better colors and a little slower input lag. IPS would be the best but god only knows the price you would have to pay for one of those. :/

Edit: I also heard that there is a severe backlight bleeding issue that occurs on that Gateway monitor after a few weeks (or months).

You can read more about it on this site: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1231866&highlight=Gateway+FHD2400

7. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    Well, for what it's worth, 95% of the time I'm at the computer, I'm playing games and sitting right in front of the display. :)

That said, backlight bleed is pretty distracting to me. So that NEC sounds great in that regard. Otherwise, yes, the Gateway is tempting.

8. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I am also looking for a 24" LCD... But I am leaning towards that Gateway. I like the glossy screen of my macbook and would love to have a glossy screen on my desktop too. Plus all the imputs will be great to have...

Wow that NEC is really $$$! :p

9. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    I added a couple more to the original post.

10. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    for me the inputs are the most important, want to be able to connect all my consoles and apple tv...

what are you currently using?

11. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    I really only need two inputs simultaneously, with at least one being DVI-D and possibly HDMI. HDMI isn't critical, though. So the basic answer is DVI is really all I need. The rest I'm not sure I will ever need. I only game with a PC and I play DVDs on said PC as well.

12. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    if you want good viewing angles, i think the benq will be the best value if you can still find it. its got an mva panel, which is very similar to pva, but doesnt have the input lag issues. and on top of that, its got pretty much every input you are going to need.
    the nec 2490 is indeed ips, and is arguably the very best out there, but its got a price to match.

13. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    Thanks kwak. Yeah, I've been reading a lot about the PVA panels (NEC primarily) and it sounds like they do have some lag issues. But also the 2490 seems to have those issues due to color-related electronics.

I think right now my decision is coming down to the BenQ FP241W or the Planar PX2611W 26" IPS. It is fast and doesn't have the color-tweaking electronics to cause lag. I think that stuff is for the high-end image/video editing where color accuracy is paramount. Sound right?

Well those two seem the best for me for non-TN gaming displays. Hm....

14. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    the planar is a very good option, as it uses the same panel as the nec 2690. i guess you are located in the usa since you mention it, because its impossible to get one outside the states.
    lg has recently announced 26" ips screen as wel, but there aren't a lot of reviews out yet. from what i hear, its go no input lag or so, but does suffer from some color banding(thats from just 1 review though, so im hoping it was just that example that had that).

15. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    Yes, the Planar seems like a nice gaming monitor. The only downside I have read is that there are some anomalies in certain situations (banding and the like), and for some reason it seems to suffer more from white glow at angles than its NEC counterpart. But the NECs, being as nice as they are with the color electronics and all, have input lag of about 2 frames. The Planar is less than one frame lag, and the response time isn't bad either.

The other big consideration for me is backlight bleed. The MVA/PVA panels really caught my attention because of this. TN panels seem to suffer from it across the board. But MVA/PVA are far darker and more uniform. But when you get up to the IPS, apparently some of that comes back. That I don't understand. IPS also is supposed to be better for input lag, except with LUTs and that kind of technology which delays the image to optimize.

So the BenQ is probably going to provide better blacks, while the Planar is larger and might even be a touch faster. Both I would expect to look good. I might also expect a little higher quality from the BenQ, but could be wrong. Anyone have experience with Planar?

Thanks for the input here!

16. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    Added the Doublesight DS-263N to the list. I think it's between the Doublesight and the Planar. I guess this thread has officially turned into a 26" comparison.

17. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    you have a nice sized budget! :p

18. Rangoon

Rangoon Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT
    It's been a few years since my last real upgrade, and this will be my first LCD. I'm trying to be smart, but am willing to spend money on something that I feel I'll be happy with for the next couple of years or, hopefully, several years. It'll hurt if I go with one of the more expensive ones (I won't get a 2690 - that's too much) but if the pleasure of using that display can soothe my financial pain it's okay with me. :) If not, then it'll piss me off and I'll have wished I'd gone a cheaper route. Thus I'm trying to be smart about this. Hard to do when there are no perfect LCDs out there.

19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I recommend the BenQ FP241W if you can find it. They stopped producing them and prices have gone up due to this.

20. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Yeah, makes sense... Definatly not something to buy on whim...