I won a TV!!

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Rama72, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    LOL at YOU.. ;)

HDTV = general naming for High Definition TV, just need a minimum of 720 vertical lines as you said.

But there are (currently) 2 types of HDTVs:

- HD Ready 720p,1080i (commonly known as HD Ready): supports 720p, mostly the res is 1366x768
    - HD Ready 1080p (commonly known as Full HD): supports 1080p (res is 1920x1080)

It has nothing to do with the tuner.

Anyway.. grats to OP!

2. Blotto8017

Blotto8017 Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 4850 512mb
    Okay for the sake of stopping a ridiculous arguement, we're all sort of right. In North America it works as I described it and there is no specification for "HD-Ready 1080p"
    Taken from the Wiki:

In the USA, "HD Ready" refers to any display that is capable of accepting and displaying a high-definition signal at either 720p, 1080i or 1080p using a component video or digital input, and does not have a built-in HD-capable tuner.

In Europe, there is a further label of HD-Ready 1080p that works as you say. It has nothing to with the tuner in Europe, but everything to do with the tuner in NA (I'm in NA). So I'm right, you're right, I'm wrong, you're wrong.

Regardless, enjoy the new set. Winning stuff is awesome, winning stuff you can enjoy is much better. Biggest thing I've ever won was an FX-55, after I had already had a 4200 clocked at 2.8ghz, so it never even left it's box.

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    99,9% of TV´s with HD-ready tag are only 720p in Finland.

100% of TV´s with FullHD has 1080p

HD-ready was pissing peoples faces when it comed. It has "poor" resolution. Nothing compared real HDTV.

4. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    Haha, im cool with that :grin:

PS: it was on Wiki that i heard the term "HD Ready 1080p" for the first time.
    I never heard of an "HD Ready" that could handle 1080p before...

Argh.. stupid nomenclature and commercial brainfarts :bang: