AMD Catalyst 12.4 OpenCL 1.2 (8.960.0 March 15) AMD Official BETA

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by gaul, Mar 22, 2012.

1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Nope, straight install.
    For my 5650m, at least.
    You can always check support for your card by searching for the DEV_ number of your GPU's hardware ID in the .inf file; e.g mine is 68C1.

2. Cyris

Cyris Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Official Link: Changelog

3. saif

saif Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DualX OC
    anyone tried these on linux? im going for it

4. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I was just going to say the same thing.

5. saif

saif Guest

GPU:
    Ive just installed them, seem to go fine. Hopefully it gets rid of some annoying "sometimes" freezing on load after kernel 3.0.0-17 update.

let me know if you can't get rid of the "For testing use only" ad :)

6. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    What version of Linux are you running?

I have Pinguy OS which is a mixture of Debian and Ubuntu with the newer Gnome 3 desktop, and the last driver was causing texture corruption slowdowns and artifacts.

Are you experiencing any of those problems?

7. saif

saif Guest

GPU:
    yeah, in flash players specially. If that is your concern, what worked for me was:

» Go to compiz configuration tool
    » Composite » disable "Detect Refresh Rate" and set your refresh rate to "120"
    » OpenGL » disable Sync to VBlank

I don't think these drivers fixed it by default so you may still need to do those steps I mentioned

im on ubuntu 11 btw

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  8. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I'm still learning Linux. I take it you had to use terminal to install?

What is the command line. Cheers

9. saif

saif Guest

GPU:
    I think you can manage this from your package manager, look for compizconfig-settings-manager, and then make sure you have the packages compiz-plugins and compiz-plugins-main, but I think you should have them already if you use gnome 3.

Then it's all through gnome ui, you should be able to do the steps I mentioned before with just mouse clicks

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Wanted to let you all know my experiences.

I installed these just cuz really, my last set of drivers were fine, but figured I'd give these a shot to test to see if Skyrim was still stuttering with these with my xfire setup.

Installed these and then ran Skyrim with window mod so it was only using one card. Plays good.. went to an area that was heavy foliage and it brought down my fps to around 40s. Then saved and quit, changed the fullscreen=1 in prefs, adjusted the crossfire to tesv profile and reloaded. to my suprise, stutter is GONE. I have suffered with this since the beginning and with multiple drivers now the problem has remained.

My stutter issue was evident in particular when I would look down at the ground, didn't matter where, or at times when inside caves or indoor places with light sources.. would get a nasty microstutter. I noticed while playing last night that at times the stutter is still there, but its been vastly decreased.. out of playing 2 hours I noticed it only once when I was by the water and there was a nirnroot close by.

Other than that, the stutter is almost completely gone and now I can finally play Skyrim using both cards!! scaling is not bad either; afterburner showed that both cards had about 80% usage during heavier areas.. very pleased and hoping for even better optimization going forward.

11. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Cheers, but never mind.

Just done an install through Jockey thinking it would install a later version, but it didn't, uninstalled them and now I'm getting a black screen on login.

****ing Linux ah.

12. AnotherWorld

AnotherWorld Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7750OC 1GB
    I concur. Those drivers were really horrible for my 7750, drivers kept freezing the system or crashing, popping the message like "Your driver doesn't want to live on this planet anymore" though it originally was more specific I believe :eyes: Didn't test portal2 but old good Neverwinter Nights kept crashing upon execution.

Fortunately, 28 Feb 8.960 seems stable enough, didn't encounter issues mentioned earlier.

13. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I can confirm Portal 2 ain't even being recognized. Just like AMD to fix one thing only to break another.

Bravo AMD. Bravo!

[​IMG]

14. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    Although I have played Portal 2 in many months, I decided to try it again after seeing your post. Encountered the same crash while loading. Managed to get it working by verifying integrity of game cache through the Steam game properties. It had to download one file. Worked after that.

15. cesaroco

cesaroco Guest

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD7970
    These ones have the clock problem unfortunately (stays 3d until we run a 3d app).
    Other than that they are great

One question, how can i know if these have MLAA 2.0 or MLAA 1.0 ?

16. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Portal 2 works here.

17. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Performance, these are as the MLAA 2.0 betas, 80-90% faster then 1.0 on earlier drivers.... So MLAA2.0 on these 12.4 betas, also no clock issues on my 7970 FYI...

18. Portman87

Portman87 Member Guru

GPU:
    NITRO RX 480 8GB
    I have the same problem and with WHQL 12.2.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Ahh man, that sucks to hear. This set is darn amazing with crossfire on my end. Maybe you should try a totally fresh install. Run a driver cleanter etc.

20. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    Error on page from origanal link, its not there anymore, looks like AMD have removed it because they forgot to fix skyrim for the 5 month running.