Tip for when upgrading your system (IDE/SATA)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ginger_hammer, May 3, 2012.

1. ginger_hammer

ginger_hammer Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 CU2
    Hi all,

Just yesterday I got new MB/CPU/RAM to upgrade from old C2Q/X38 system. All was going happily along until I went to connect my two slightly old DVD drives with their chunky IDE cable to the MB. Yes you have seen my error - the new Z77 ASUS board I purchased has no IDE connecters at all!!

Hence I couldn't connect them, so I couldn't re-install windows via my DVD and my upgrade came to an abrupt halt, so today I have to go and buy either a SATA-IDE adaptor, or may just get a very cheap SATA DVD drive as they are about the same price.

Anyway thought this might help people upgrading from older systems like myself, and want to avoid sharing my disappointment!

2. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    That's the problem when old tech gets replaced. I say go get yourself a sata drive so you don't run into this issue again. It will also help with cable management getting rid of that chunky ide cable.

3. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    SATA to IDE and IDE to SATA adapters are about $4 on ebay, i got one from china and it works great in my old p3/win 98 system (works both ways) but still if you care about looks i would 100% get a cheap sata drive.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I would not put a crappy ide HD in a Z77 build imo. buy a new sata drive

5. ginger_hammer

ginger_hammer Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 CU2
    Yep just popped down the local shop and got a cheap SATA DVD drive. Noticed it is powered differently from my old DVD drives too. It no longer has the big 4 chunky pins and uses SATA style power connector instead (wider than SATA data). Luckily my power supply is fairly new and has these SATA power connectors.
    So many standards that change, I must be getting old!

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    satas been out for 10 years bro lol