How to apply Afterburner settings at system startup

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Randy31416, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Randy31416

Randy31416 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7770 2GB
    I'd like the Afterburner settings (especially fan settings) to be applied when the system first starts, before anyone logs on. I'e read the forum, and studied how the program works as far as I can, but have not found out a way to do this.

The Afterburner settings for applying the settings at startup seem to work through one of two mechanisms: either a scheduled task that is set to run at the logon of any user, or through a registry key (HKLM...Run) that likewise runs when a user logs on.

I have tried making a scheduled task that runs at system start, and a Group Policy script that runs at system start, both executing the following variations of commands (prefixed by the directory) that I have seen in various places (the scheduled task and the HKLM...Run key)

Afterburner.exe /s
    Afterburner.exe -s
    AfterburnerWrapper.exe -s
    AfterburnerWrapper.exe /s

Although Afterburner is started by these commands, the settings are not applied.

These technique (scheduled task at system startup, and group policy script) did work with RivaTunerWrapper and RivaTuner on my old, now defunct, slow card, and I'm trying to get the same operation with the new. Any ideas?

2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Not sure if I'm missing something from your post, but I just checked "Apply settings at startup" on the main window which shows when I open Afterburner. There's a green check next to it. It loads my settings without fail everytime I boot up.

3. Randy31416

Randy31416 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7770 2GB
    I have those settings checked, and the checking of the settings causes the scheduled task or registry key that I described above to be created, but the execution of the task or the running of the registry program occurs only at user logon, not at system boot.

When I boot up the system, at the end of the boot process I am presented with a screen where one of five (in my case) users may log on. No user is automatically logged on; the boot does not go directly to a desktop. Rather, the user must actuallly log on. When he or she does, then the Afterburner task will execute and the settings will be applied. I want them to be applied at system start, which is when the Group Policy scripts and the system startup tasks run. They run before logon.

Why do I want this? Because the system will boot, here, but it may be minutes or tens of minutes before anyone comes around to log on. And during all that time the fans are spinning at their default bios settings, because Afterburner is not yet running. I am just hoping to find a workaround which would successfully apply the Afterburner settings from a Group Policy script or startup scheduled task -- or anything else -- that runs at system startup. (Maybe Afterburner requires a user console and RivaTuner did not -- just hoping for a workaround.)