MSI Afterburner Wont Overclock?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Tyharo, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Tyharo

Tyharo Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970m
    Hi, I recently bought a brand new gaming laptop with an ATI 7970m. I've been trying to OC it because from what I've read It can be pushed alot farther and still be stable and cool. I installed MSI afterburner but when I open it my core and memory clocks are already at max, I can lower them just not increase them. I',ve tried changing the MSIAfterBurner.cfg file
    (UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
    UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1)
    But all that does is put all my clocks down to 0 and wont let me change them. I have the latest drivers and CCC.
    Can anyone help me OC this card?

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AfterBurner is for desktop products, not mobile.

3. Tyharo

Tyharo Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970m
    Thats where you are wrong. Alien ware and a few other brand laptops come preloaded with MSI Afterburner. Plus I've used MSI Afterburner on my older laptop to OC my Nvidia 260m, it worked like a charm.
    Can anyone else give me a hand or will I have to wait for the offical overclocks for this card?

4. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    I think thats when you're wrong instead (with all respect!). AB "may" work on mobile chipsets, but is intended for desktop ones, so that's why it has no support for mobile gpus.

AFAIK, of course. Kindest Regards!

5. Tyharo

Tyharo Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970m
    That still doeant expain the fact that people are using msi afterburner to OC this card. But anyways, i did some exploring and i have had success with intel extreme software. I OCed my card to 1400mhz and its very stable from whay i can tell so far, although i was able to up the voltage to my card as well. Im gonna keepvtesting and see if i can go to 1500mhz. Thanks for the help though.