[Application] Color Sustainer - ICC Profile Enforcer

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by yasamoka, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Do you use Color Sustainer in Global mode or in Mode-specific mode (v1.03.1+) ?

1. Global mode

34 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Mode-specific mode

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. A mix of the two

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    anyone?

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Sorry for forgetting to reply, no it does not. I had that as a planned feature but decided against it. If you want to try out profiles, then use dispcal which is included in the ArgyllCMS library. That gives you the opportunity to use a commandline to cycle between profiles. Color Sustainer's philosophy entails sustaining profiles, switching them automatically, a set-and-forget affair. A commandline interface that allows swapping profiles manually would go against this philosophy.

3. Spunkie

Spunkie Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Mini
    @yasamoka I would like to release a chocolatey package(chocolatey.org/packages) for Color Sustainer. The easiest way to do this for a portable app is simply distribute the exe/files directly with the package. To do this though, Color Sustainer would need to be under a license that allows redistribution. What license is Color Sustainer currently released under?

Also thanks for this great program, I've been running it for years now without any major issues. :cheers:

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Back when I was planning to release Color Sustainer source code (I didn't since I didn't continue working on the source code back then), I was planning to release it under the LGPL license. So it would be a pretty chill license.

Go ahead, my friend, distribute it however you wish. Just link back the work to me. I would be very grateful as a Chocolatey package would be great to have.

And you're welcome!

5. Spunkie

Spunkie Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Mini
    @yasamoka Sounds great, I went ahead and pushed the pkg to chocolatey so now it's just waiting on moderation and review. It can be found at chocolatey.org/packages/color-sustainer

In the meantime you can test the pkg by running:
    Code:
    choco install color-sustainer -version 1.05 -v

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Woooo that's great! I'll be sure to give it a try!

7. tmash

tmash Guest

GPU:
    O
    Hello,
    Thank your for this useful program.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Thank you for the compliment! :)

9. tuexnovia

tuexnovia Guest

GPU:
    8gb
    Guys I'm using this software because every time I get out from a fullscreen game my profile colour in win10 it gets reset, then I have to go to the icontray, stop the service of this software and start it again.

Is there any way I can do this faster? any BINDKEY? or even better to keep it forever like it should be, because after a big update 2 weeks ago in win 10 it's happening this to me.

And last question what's is: Global mode or in Mode-specific mode

Appreciate guys.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    This is a Windows issue. Try to reinstall drivers cleanly.

Global mode means that the color profile applies globally, per monitor. Mode-specific mode means that the color profile applies per resolution-refresh rate pair, so you could specify a color profile for 1440p 60Hz and another for 1440p 120Hz, for example.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    People, I am quitting this forum. Anyone who would like to ask anything, or even have a nice chat, contact me at yasamoka (at) hotmail (dot) com until I move this forum thread to my own forum if I see the need to make one.

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Just know that this program still is a tremendous contribution. Whatever needs to be done, you'll be missed.

Learned a lot form this thread. It provided the motivation into gaining some rudimentary understand of color theory to understand what the heck I am adjusting to gain more accurate color. Thanks for "opening" my eyes on this subject.

13. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i want to lock a color profile but when i press the associate icon it wont work and red text appears.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Thanks a lot for the compliments. If there's anything you'd like to know further, or even have a nice chit chat, hit me up on PM / Email / anything you like.

You're using a color profile that is missing the vcgt (video card gamma table) tag. That is, a color profile that is not intended to provide a grayscale calibration that could be loaded into your graphics card through Windows - through a function call Color Sustainer and any other color profile application for grayscale calibration uses - and thus cannot be used for anything meaningful by Color Sustainer.

Could you link me to the profile or, if it's been provided / generated offline, upload it to any filehosting service and link it here so I could take a look? Any further information would also be appreciated: monitor model, your intended usage scenario for the profile, etc...

15. tmash

tmash Guest

GPU:
    O
    I'm probably marked as spam in your email box, anyways I have a flicker issue on Windows 10 Build 1703.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Hey there! You're definitely not. Just replied to your Email.

Concerning the flickering issue, how periodic is the flicker? Is it occurring at fixed intervals or randomly?

You might have another application that is enforcing a color profile or resetting the gamma ramp (which represents a loaded color profile). Could you check? Common culprits are F.Lux, DisplayCAL, CPKeeper, MCW.

What are your PC's specifications? Are you running an Nvidia GPU? If so, have you tried a clean driver reinstall?

17. tmash

tmash Guest

GPU:
    O
    Oh I just checked for any (removed Asus splendid which was disabled anyways), then noticed that this new build has night mode which was enabled by default for some reason at 12am. I've gone through this option while diagnosing the issue, donno why I missed it. :rolleyes:
    Works fine after disabling!
    Thanks! :)

18. holechien86

holechien86 Guest

GPU:
    msi 1060 6gb
    Hello, I would like to know if this program is still working and if it can affect performance on games.

Because windows mode is a solution for me but affect performance. So if this use something from windows mode i'm really affraid it mess up with my game / affect performance. I'm playing FPS game at high level where any micro second count @ 240hz in fullscreen mode so i prefer nasty colors in trade for less input lag / higher fps / etc etc..

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Of course it works. Why wouldn't it?

There's no performance impact. If you're concerned about polling too frequently, lower the polling period to about 10000 when you run the application the first time.

If you're playing fullscreen games, some games might ignore the color profile completely and nothing short of injecting shaders could be done. If you're playing CS:GO, make sure the argument -nogammaramp is activated in Steam for the game.

Try it out and let me know about your experience using it.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    fluidz likes this.