First time with linux

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by trec, Oct 18, 2014.

1. trec

trec Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    I want install Linux on my PC. Which version is best for first time with Linux?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ubuntu or OpenSuSE if you want to try one of the more "mainstream" distros. A lot recommend Linux Mint though. Fedora is great for a Live Distro, but can be very frustrating for first time users who want to actually install and use Linux.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello there!
    Do you have another operating system installed ?
    If not,boot from a Linux live media,choose what fits you best,then install.
    In case you you already have installed Windows,shrink a partition with disk admninistrator tool, and boot your computer from a linux live media,and install in that particular partitition.
    If all installation process is overwhelming,just install VirtualBox ,install linux virtualized,play with it,get to know differences and then install it later on real computer
    More ,be aware taht Linux comes with different desktop managers,different ways of having a desktop.There is Gnome,Mate,Kde,etc...
    The more "windows-alike" feel goes to Kde,but the others desktop managers are ok also.
    Try to see things as something new,different and wiiling to learn can lead to great things.Also,the terminal is nothing to be scared about,today almost all things can be done without touching the terminal.
    Oh,having Linux installed doesn't give you superpowers.It is just another operating system,another way of fullfiling your computing needs.
    Feel free to ask for support .

4. trec

trec Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    I choosed Ubuntu. I will say something about Ubuntu after few days.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Unless you use Fedora....then you'll need the terminal quite a bit during setup. I've found Fedora is great if you just need to use Linux for a few minutes or want to learn the basics without installing, but if you're setting up a system to run Linux from the harddrive, Fedora is the worst choice possible. The process for installing NVidia's drivers in Fedora, makes Linux seem archaic, even though it's quite "up to date". I use a Fedora "Live USB" for quick tasks and OpenSuSE if I plan to install. Actually, running OpenSuSE 13.1 right now. Waiting for 13.2 to be released in 16 days.