OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Twiddles, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    So, who's got 10.10 (OS X Yosemite) running? It's been great so far :D
    Running it on an Asus X53SV - 2630QM, 16GB, 250GB M500.

Does anybody here use/create (legal to talk about this here?) hackintoshes?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What, Apple sues those who dare create/use hackintoshes?

3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I've been doing it for a long time on countless machines:p No problem at all :banana:

4. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Care to provide some info on building a "hackentosh"? Like what hardware is compatible, any pre-requisites and a working guide or instructions? And anything based on your personal experience with it. Basically, a "hackingtosh" guide for THIS dummy..

5. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    First of all, don't try it on AMD without Linux experience or previous successful
    hacks :p

Second, requirements/working hardware is tricky thing. A hack might be successful on your mobo, but might not for other because of a rev 1.1 mobo ;)

"Most" hardware is supported though, try looking at components that were/is used in Macs. Like the Intel HD 3000 for example. Those work OOB (Out Of the Box) for 90% of all installations. However things like a dedicated GPU are a little bit less likely to work OOB, requiring a manual patch which comes in the form of a kext ("driver" for OS X) or an installer. Mostly from community work and reverse engineering Linux drivers. Same goes for WLAN, LAN, sound etc.

Luckily there are a lot of tools which create "workable" basic install requiring you to only patch the system manually (like audio, LAN etc.) (if you don't buy recommended parts from a guide), unfortunately I can't link to these "installers" ;)

In a worst case scenario it requires you to patch the DSDT.aml.
    What is a DSDT? This: The DSDT is the largest and most important table because this is where the motherboard devices are described. Meaning the ACPI tables and device ID's. Editing this provides you with faking device-ids via DSDT making it more "vanilla". Meaning less trouble with updates as the "drivers" are not overwritten. On some boards it also provides native sleep and power states, Gigabyte mobo's (regardless of AMD or Intel) provides this native.

Don't expect anything easy, if it goes well you'll only be happier afterwards ;)

If you want more, just ask :D

6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Actually we gad a sticky here on how to do it, but like you said you need sometimes hacked drivers and other such things, special BIOS and such. No one had posted in it for a long while so it was unstickied. You can talk about it, just don't mention pirated OS or software.

7. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Luckily special BIOS mods are uncommon these days, it's mostly done via DSDT edits and so on :D Sounds like the Guru's aren't such great OS X fans *PROD* and no I won't be linking to anything. If you're on Guru3D you should be able to Google and if not /care :p

BTW: Is it okay to discuss installation methods etc?

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I have the boot files installed to my USB drive. Going to do a full reformat on my Macbook pro here in a couple hours.
    I'm really interested in their "Dark mode". I always use black wallpaper and use Stylish's Carbon extreme for Safari so that it's easier on my eyes and probably helps battery life too. So having this Dark mode for the bar and menu's will be a welcome addition for me.

I also like the flat dock and icons though the new font looks skinnier and may be harder to read? And finally the Widgets look more streamlined and useful. I always disabled them before.

9. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Mmmm, sounds pretty interesting, will try too! And yeah full format is seriously recommended, mainly because of the way Yosemite handles kexts and signatures o_O
    Ooh and the widgets are finally useable! They do indeed add something to the entire "world at your fingers" feeling ;)

Let me know how things go :)

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Running it now. Finally got it all setup how I like it. No complaints. Aesthetics aside, not much I can say about it as I don't have a use for things like the Mail app, screen sharing or Handoff. So for me it's business as usual. I do really love the widgets in notification side bar, looks very streamlined and more quick informative.
    I wish dark mode worked on Safari and swapped black to white text so open windows could have dark backgrounds. But the menu's and bar being dark is nicer on my eyes.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Running it on my Mac Pro 5,1. Had to do some modification to correctly load the kext package for my 760(No boot screen as of now, need to get a mac card just to load the boot screen up!) but so far works great! I don't have an iPhone right now so some of the features right now I don't use because of that.

12. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Watch out with upgrading to the cloud ;) iOS 6 isn't compatible ;) No screen? Even with kext-dev-mode=1? Some cards do have problems with HDMI out as of 10.10, nothing a good DSDT can't fix ;) And yes it runs great! Went 2000 points up on my ivy i3 "Mac Mini"!

13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's only for osx86 based machines that will have any affect, I'm running it completely on Mac hardware and efi. Only fix to have a boot screen is having a Mac enabled gpu, which mine is not and I don't feel like flashing it just to have a boot screen. :D

14. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Aah I get it :D Yeah flashing isn't the "best way" but heck if helps, why not? On second thought, failing to flash means plugging in another card to flash back ;) Decisions, decisions... Why not buy a 7950/7970? Great performance and price ratio plus guaranteed OOB experience ;)

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Because I've got the 760! :D

I would get a Mac edition card, but man they're expensive! I'm just gonna look for an old 5770 Mac edition and throw that in there along side my 760 just for the boot screen, then when the OS boots force the 760 as the primary display.

760 works actually OOB for the DVI port and updated Nvidia source kexts instead of Apple's, haven't tried HDMI yet either.

16. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Smart move, and yes those cards a freaking expensive! Not even the (extra?) warranty can justify that! Having Nvidia for Mac's (legal or not) sure helps, those kext really help the community. HDMI does seem to work for some people, depending on brand and BIOS/rev it just might.

17. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's not illegal for me to have my 760 in my Mac Pro. :D

Thankfully the Kext supports the whole architecture and not just one series from Nvidia!

18. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Haha, I know ;) I meant the "legal" Mac or a "Hackintosh" :p Nvidia is great when it comes to support for both of 'em (unintentionally of course). Besides support, one package to rule them all is way more efficient than pushing a "half assed" build for Windows. And then I'm not even talking about Linux :wanker: And yes I do know that one package isn't possible for Windows and Linux ;)

BTW: How is the OpenGL/CL performance with the 760?

19. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    With the current CUDA drivers from Nvidia it's pretty nice. Didn't work OOB with Apple supplied Kext sources, I really don't do too much in Mac or with Open CL for that matter to test it out a whole lot though.

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW