Whats with Linux... EPIC FAIL

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Warcrysis, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Bullsh!t :p That your GTX980 and 4770K (example) don't work on day 1 or even after 4 weeks is the fault of Nvidia etc. And while we're talking about developement: Look at Android! I've been modding, tweaking and flashing since 1.5 and before! Funny thing is that they responded to user input. Now THAT'S open source.

And do you even know how clunky Windows Server is to work with?! It's downright a pain in the arse! It's works well, let's be honest about that, but building a general CentOS server with custom firewall actually takes me less time....... Anyway anyhow: Right tool for the right job ;)

Written from my second PC which runs Mavericks, Debian and Windows 8.1.1 :D

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Also installing VM software doesn't break Linux like it seems to Windows 8.x...

Every time I install VMware or Virtual Box, I lose my network connection. This wasn't an issue with previous versions of Windows but has happened every time with Win8.x.

With open source software, you don't have to wait for MS or Apple to "patch" a security hole. You can do it yourself if you know wtf you're doing.....

3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I've had many installs of VMware and ESXI but never heard about anything like this :eek3:

Connecting it to a dedicated card or just basic NAT?

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    NAT is the default setting for VMware Player.

To get internet both in Windows and the VM, I have to have 2 network adapters.

I'm testing educational distros of Linux. OpenSuse Li.F.E and Fedora SoaS. The system in my specs will end up being my son's once I determine which educational distro is best for him....and get my other system fixed.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    L000000000000000000L I see wat u you did there, and I approve.

Carry on. :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Couple of days..what! Linux has been around since 1991ish, its had plenty of time to sort its **** out. Windows is only 5 or years older and its achieved far more than Linux (on the desktop).

7. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Wow shots fired

8. sensej

sensej Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    I so agree with that, I am coming back every few years to check if something changed and when I see that it cant handle the simplest things I just give up.

Today I tried to instal ubuntu on my laptop and it seems it doesnt support 3 monitors :/ . Then I asked one of my friends which is using linux on daily basis. Response was, it doesnt support more than 2 monitors on laptops and my graphic card is not supported because of nvidia.

The biggest problem for Linux is that "I DO NOT CARE", from my perspective it looks like this:

Windows + 3 monitors + my laptop = PERFECT
    Mac + 3 monitors + my laptop = PERFECT
    Linux + 3 monitors + my laptop = FAIL

You have a feeling that linux is in its early beta build since like for ever.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    For 99% of people who are not using 3 monitors, this is not an issue for them on Linux.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    There's 2 big differences in Windows and Linux.
    Windows is a completely paid service, where situations like this they have to have support.
    Linux is only a paid service from the Linux foundation, and from companies that license Linux. But Linux is open source where its resources are only used when needed because of how many different uses it has.

My example is this, I use Windows for gaming and media center. I use Mac for media production applications. I use Linux for building and compiling.

There's a lot more to Linux compared to Windows. Windows in itself supports some of the features 10 different Linux distros support, but not all and because of its open source nature, Linux can expand over Windows easily.

Both have their pros and their cons. Windows will work pretty close out of the box. Linux requires some setting up, but people who usually use Linux know how to set it up or want to. Linux can be tailored to do what you want it to do unlike Windows as well. Windows has a lot of third party support.

You can't really compare the two.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're not willing to learn an OS, there's no reason to try it and then post BS about it on a tech forum.....

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    There is a lot of truth to this, it's been a long time and Linux can still be a pain for everyday use, where a crappy Windows applications installs and runs fine, then there's the application that it seems everyone using Linux uses just fine but simply won't even install for you. Most of us here can spend an afternoon fixing the issue, and might even get some fun out of it. But it's not hard to imagine that other people, like Warcrysis, want something easier. Hell, windows still has enough headache involved, treading lightly on even the most stable of Linux distros can end up even worse in the wrong hands.

The only real attempt to fix this as far as I'm concerned is ChromeOS and SteamOS. Two linux distros that fix the 'problem' by ultra-simplifying the OS. Which hardly feels like a true solution, typically there is going to be two handfuls of games and apps that you cannot use anymore after switching from Windows, now to avoid headache you have to pick an OS that only browses the web or an OS that only plays Steam linux games.

Ubuntu aspired to be the easy distro, but as far as I can tell they haven't made any effort in many many years to develop the ease of use of the OS.
    Honestly, I feel like the only thing holding everything together for Ubuntu is the Debian install packager.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Not to mention the unhelpful forums when asking for help it goes along the lines of using the search function like many post demand when someones asked a question, then when you do and find an old thread with the last post being "Nevermind, fixed it" without posting the solution, so then you post "Any resolve to this problem?", then get berated for Necroing an old thread and it gets locked. So you start a new thread, then get berated for not using the search function.

Most questions getting answered with "Well if you dont already know...", or some cryptic clue that when you ask for clarification on you get told to google it, yeah, thanks, real helpful.

I've come to the conclusion that Linux exists for the sole purpose of fedora wearing elitists to post screenshots of their room and setup with their pc screens (with mandatory anime figures beneath) in the background compiling code (which is probably nothing more than a useless program from pastebin) to look 1337.

Every form of actually useful version of Linux etc is designed by and used by companies like google, Samsung, Valve and so on, every other version is just some fragmented bloatware that gets paraded around as the open-source savior to free us from Windows oppression. Well, its 2015, and Linux isnt any closer to being anymore useful for anything other than installing to say that you use linux/ubuntu. For an idea thats been around since 1991, its one of the most slowly evolving products out there.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I have to agree. Everyone keeps telling me to 'just wait, soon Linux will take over and you won't need Windows, just give it more time'. I've been waiting, it's 2015 now (lol, you added a similar statement with your edit), it ain't happening.
    Don't get me wrong though, I want it to happen. But I'm done holding my breath. Maybe 4chan should switch their 'god' from Richard Stallman to Gabe Newell, because he's the only hope for Linux being a feasible gaming OS for PC.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah im sure everyone want its to happen. But going by comments as to why, it seems they want it to happen just because. We have enough problems with windows and ports of games, 64bit version of this and that etc, Linux returns most of the problems that we were dealing with in the 1990's.

Im all for choice and I dont mean to attack the Linux community, but it seems that the community itself is more interested in building and compiling their own perfect versions while waiting for some large corporation to build the windows destroying Linux version.

I've always been at a loss as to why everyone hates windows enough to want it to go away, when the companies who release the products they do on windows are just as responsible as MS for all the great things we have in the world of PC's. Other than android, what as linux really contributed to the world of PCs that hasnt already been done on Windows far sooner and made more simpler and easier to adopt.

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Once you ignore Andriod (which, as you say, is made by a huge company), the only place you can look is outside of the consumer sector. The commercial sector is huge, and to the credit of Linux, most servers run on it.
    It's the OS that provides Internet services for Windows. Which pretty much means Linux serves Windows. :0

17. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Ask the enterprise crowd and you'll get an answer to your question :D

18. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    I have installed ubuntu many times to 2nd HDD but never actually used it more than few days. I just dont see the benefits using it day to day. Whenever I want to game I mostly need to use Win anyway. Only place where I use linux 24/7 is at home server.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Lindows/Linspire was the first push. Unlike ChromeOS and SteamOS, Lindows/Linspire was a fully functional Linux distro. The problems were in marketing and distribution. Initially it was only available on a few select desktops sold through KMart dirt cheap. Those models weren't marketed properly and were pathetically under-spec'd to the point where they struggled to run Lindows/Linspire properly. Conveniently enough, Lindows/Linspire featured a software store for users to acquire compatible software. Once downloaded, the software would automagically install.

Marketing and distribution have always been a problem for Linux. It doesn't matter how user friendly they make Linux, if it's not marketed properly. Unfortunately, being fragmented to the extent that it is, it's nearly impossible to market properly.

Most of the servers controlling the internet are Unix, not Linux.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You could also make the argument that the Netbook launch was another push for mainstream Linux usage. Nearly all the Eee PC's with Linux were returned.

Googled it, it's not the majority, but it's growing.
    http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-linux/all/all
    So 2 thirds unix, and 1 third Linux. But around 90% of supercomputers run it. It's dominating the commercial sector. They'll have to change the 'the internet runs on Cisco' saying to 'the internet runs on Cisco and Linux'.

Edit: Now I'm confused...
    http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-unix/all/all
    So about half of those 2 thirds of servers that run unix... run linux. So is it 2 thirds Linux? If that's the case then yeah it's the majority.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.