Bound by Flame

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 29, 2013.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    [​IMG]

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    yeah they fooled masses with ULTRA graphics with no gameplay elements. .gosh. no freedom etc. and boring game play. but what? ULTRA specs. only ELVES eat that. not me.

3. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    I pre-ordered this game and I really don't do that a lot. I think it will be decent and I like to support independent developers who are trying hard to make great games. Looking forward to playing it, though I will probably wait for a patch or two before actually doing that. For now, Mars War Logs should cut the ice :D

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've pre-ordered this for my PS4. After watching around an hour of gameplay footage it looks like an above average action RPG in the style of Dark Souls but with more dialogue and whatnot. Graphics don't look great but they're fine and bad visuals do not a bad game maketh! I wouldn't say that it looks amazing or anything but I enjoyed Of Orcs and Men by the same developer so I expect I will also enjoy this.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well ShopTo.net have charged me for the game now and I expect it'll be sent tomorrow so it is too late for me to cancel now. Still looks interesting despite the developer not having made anything particularly noteworthy. I don't mind a game that is as challenging as Dark Souls as long as it plays fair. I've read some mixed comments though from people who have the game that the gameplay is a bit unbalanced and tough though and even though you have an A.I. companion they are not terribly useful. Suspect this may be one of those 6/10 games myself.

6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Cancelled my pre-order just in time then it seems Darren mate. In the end I just wasn't too sure about it mostly thanks to feedback given on GAF plus Watch Dogs is weeks away and I have TASM 2 to get through anyway.

7. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Graphical style is unique and very good.

8. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    ^Engine limitations are, however, apparent. Very basic physics (only ragdolls and particles) and lack of proper tonemapping/advanced HDR. That being said, it will probably be a decent game.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just preordered this game through steam, 15% off for the next two hours.

It unlocks in 3 hours.

I was going to start a thread because I wanted either a decent f2p mmo or a decent action rpg game on PC.

After reading about this and watching the gameplay videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk_gSpbcY6Q

I am sold on this one. Just wish it had some form of multiplayer or coop mechanic. Still the combat looks good and art style looks pretty demonic.

10. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    [​IMG]

The various graphics settings, GeDoSaTo was used for downsampling.

EDIT: Ah how unfortunate the game crashes when it tries to apply the new resolution, oh well it won't always work and I can do without it but it would have been nice if it had worked.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I find it amusing when searching around for this game to keep coming across the line "developed by spiders" or "developers: spiders".

They have gained sentience.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I played this for about three hours tonight on my PS4.

It's not bad, in fact it's an OK to fairly decent game, I think, but no more than that. No-one is going to mistake it for Dark Souls III or anything but there's plenty to like about it despite the rough edges, the generic fantasy setting and some truly awful dialogue (a shame 'cos the voice-acting, bar the slightly out of place sounding American lead who does Vulcan, is mostly fine). The plot seems to be very Game of Thrones IMO with a bit of Lord of the Rings thrown in, what with seven Ice Lords from the "North" being the main enemies, gathering an army of Deadwalkers (read: white walkers) and a group of Freeborn Blades basically being the Night Watch. The interesting part is that the character you play gets possessed by a demon early on and this gives him the fire powers as hinted in the game's title. There are hints that you can choose to either help the demon or not but I have not really come across anything like that yet.

After a scrappy linear opening tutorial section where you explore a really dull temple and fight boring enemies before meeting the first (surprisingly hard) boss, the game opens up in the swamp area and the nearby town and allows you to do the usual RPG stuff of talking to NPCs, gaining quests and choosing which ones to do. It gets much better here. There is a surprising amount of dialogue to listen to, which I think a lot of people will skip, but I think it really helps flesh out the world and give it a sense of place that is otherwise lacking in the normal cutscenes (most of which are cringe-worthy to be honest...arsewipe and dickhead indeed!).

Combat is a bit wonky but it works fine except for not being able to equip a shield. You can block and you will need to because like Dark Souls this game is punishing even on Easy difficulty if you get accosted by three or more enemies at once. Movement is unfortunately sluggish and although you can jump back (again, like Dark Souls), I've not found anyway to roll. You can also target enemies but it is glitchy and was always targetting the enemies furtherest away for some reason. After a while I stopped using it. Hits don't always look as if they're doing much damage when they are and ones that look like they should be, don't! It's reasonably enjoyable though. You do have an A.I. companion and you can choose between them. None of them are particularly useful though but I've stuck with the healer women for now (forgotten her name already!).

The skill/upgrade system works fine too. You collect raw materials, weapons and other stuff which enemies drop. You can then craft the materials to make potions (health and mana) as well as upgrade the armour and weapons you have. I had no problems with that and the game does a fine job of showing you what you need to make items and also whether a weapon or piece of armour is better than what you have equipped.

Graphically the game is an early PS3 game running in crisp 1080p (I didn't notice any aliasing at all) on the PS4. It looks OK but nothing special. Facial animations and animations in general are a bit stiff and lip-synching is dreadful but this isn't a big budget game so I can overlook those. The framerate is mildly annoying though, not because it is poor but because it's one of those unlocked PS4 games, like Killzone: Shadow Fall and inFamous: Second Son, that can run as high as 60 FPS and then dip to 30 FPS. It means movement and controls feel a bit off. I would prefer it if the game had been locked at 30 FPS. There is no screen tearing thankfully. Loading times are also very quick and they occur when entering towns and some buildings.

Overall I'd give the game a 6/10 so far. It's rough and ready and some people will almost certainly find it generic and bland but it has enough substance for me to make it interesting and worthwhile playing.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    PS4 version is 5.6 GB in size by the way, I presume that will be about the same for the PC version as well?

15. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    If you realize just how small their team is, or that like 2 or 3 guys write the script and dialogue (including the CEO herself), or that they also made Silverfall and Of Orcs and Men, and that they are able to pull off average-to-good games on a mid-tier budget, it becomes hard to not respect the dev. They have a bunch of good script writers and their RPG "core" is strong enough. I suspect that if they get an AAA contract they'd probably be able to give Bioware a run for its money :D

This game is getting mixed reviews all over the web, but what I can say with certainty is that any review giving it 4 or less out of 10 is utter and complete crap. This game is more like a 6-8.

16. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Wow this game looks good. The health regeneration during combat is kinda forgiving and I like that.

Also shadows on ultra is super demanding.

But yes, the game is a good one, I'm liking it so far.

Though for an RPG, I kinda hate there aren't any 1 handed short or medium swords for fast attacks and you have to rely on daggers.

17. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Hmmm. It's like a Diablo 3rd person with borderlandish gfx. Even the music tries to be like Diablo but it doesnt quite work. Could hardly watch that 60mins video without getting bored. Not my thing.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  20. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU: